SmartArray errors on system boot - VMS

This is a discussion on SmartArray errors on system boot - VMS ; Hiya, I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar... I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more recently, a couple of A9890A ...

  1. SmartArray errors on system boot

    Hiya,

    I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...

    I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    servers (one per server).

    When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    itself. The disks never log any errors.

    At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    pending a response from HP.

    Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?

    Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  2. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    Are your disks HP/Compaq firmwared disks?
    Are they all identical sizes?

    wrote in message
    news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    > wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...
    >
    > I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    > recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    > servers (one per server).
    >
    > When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    > device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    > itself. The disks never log any errors.
    >
    > At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    > thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    > culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    > weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    > SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    > pending a response from HP.
    >
    > Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?
    >
    > Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    > I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    > the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    > the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

  3. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    On 3 Oct, 21:43, "David Turner, Island Computers" islandco.com> wrote:
    > Are your disks HP/Compaq firmwared disks?
    > Are they all identical sizes?
    >
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > Hiya,

    > > I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    > > wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...

    > > I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    > > recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    > > servers (one per server).

    > > When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    > > device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    > > itself. The disks never log any errors.

    > > At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    > > thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    > > culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    > > weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    > > SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    > > pending a response from HP.

    > > Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?

    > > Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    > > I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    > > the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    > > the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.

    > > Thanks in advance

    > > Steve- Hide quoted text -

    Yes to both David - some have 36GB hot pluggable disks on, other have
    73GB.

    Steve

  4. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    wrote in message
    news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    > wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...
    >
    > I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    > recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    > servers (one per server).
    >
    > When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    > device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    > itself. The disks never log any errors.
    >
    > At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    > thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    > culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    > weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    > SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    > pending a response from HP.
    >
    > Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?
    >
    > Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    > I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    > the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    > the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    Can you show us what the errorlog entries are? From my vague recollection
    you may get 1 or 2 SCSI Bus Resets logged at boot time as the IO autoconfig
    mechanism triggers these and they end up getting logged by the device
    drivers to the EMBs and ERRFMT then dumps those when it starts. We used to
    field a number of calls like this in shared SCSI bus configs.

  5. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    I assume you have these set correctly

    On a 5302a

    >>>set heap_expand 2MB

    On a 5304a

    >>>set heap_expand 4MB

    Also the set command is correct

    >>>set bootbios pya0

    DT

    wrote in message
    news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    > wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...
    >
    > I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    > recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    > servers (one per server).
    >
    > When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    > device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    > itself. The disks never log any errors.
    >
    > At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    > thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    > culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    > weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    > SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    > pending a response from HP.
    >
    > Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?
    >
    > Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    > I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    > the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    > the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

  6. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    On 4 Oct, 16:02, "David Turner, Island Computers" islandco.com> wrote:
    > I assume you have these set correctly
    >
    > On a 5302a

    > On a 5304a

    > Also the set command is correct

    > DT
    >
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > Hiya,

    > > I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    > > wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...

    > > I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    > > recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    > > servers (one per server).

    > > When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    > > device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    > > itself. The disks never log any errors.

    > > At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    > > thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    > > culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    > > weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    > > SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    > > pending a response from HP.

    > > Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?

    > > Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    > > I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    > > the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    > > the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.

    > > Thanks in advance

    > > Steve- Hide quoted text -

    Yup, we've set those.

    S.

  7. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    Firmware version?

    DT
    wrote in message
    news:1191510262.273359.16290@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On 4 Oct, 16:02, "David Turner, Island Computers" > islandco.com> wrote:
    >> I assume you have these set correctly
    >>
    >> On a 5302a

    >> On a 5304a

    >> Also the set command is correct

    >> DT
    >>
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >>

    >> > Hiya,

    >> > I've got about five logs open with support at the moment, but I'm
    >> > wondering if anyone else has experienced similar...

    >> > I've got a mix of 5302A and 6402A SmartArray cards in Alphas and, more
    >> > recently, a couple of A9890A 6402 SmartArrays in a couple of Integrity
    >> > servers (one per server).

    >> > When the system boots, the system logs errors against the PK port
    >> > device (SCSI bus resets maybe?) then, usually, calms down and behaves
    >> > itself. The disks never log any errors.

    >> > At first we thought maybe a bad card. When a second one did it we
    >> > thought maybe the MSA30 shelves that they are connected to were the
    >> > culprits, maybe having their interface cards damaged in transit. This
    >> > weekend, we had problems on an Integrity which has caused the other
    >> > SmartArray and MSA30 installations that were planned to be pulled,
    >> > pending a response from HP.

    >> > Anybody seen this kind of behaviour before?

    >> > Full config is VMS (either Alpha or I64), 8.2 on Alpha and 8.3 on
    >> > I64. RAID software v3.0 on both platforms to enable us to partition
    >> > the disk that the SmartArray is configured with so that we can size
    >> > the DPA devices that VMS sees appropriately.

    >> > Thanks in advance

    >> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

    > Yup, we've set those.
    >
    > S.

  8. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    On 4 Oct, 16:32, "David Turner, Island Computers" islandco.com> wrote:
    > Firmware version?
    >
    > DT wrote in message
    >
    > news:1191510262.273359.16290@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    >

    > > On 4 Oct, 16:02, "David Turner, Island Computers" > > islandco.com> wrote:
    > >> I assume you have these set correctly

    > >> On a 5302a

    > >> On a 5304a

    > >> Also the set command is correct

    > >> DT

    > >> wrote in message

    > >>news:1191425849.767217.202610@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...

    > > Yup, we've set those.

    > > S.- Hide quoted text -

    Not sure on the Alphas (there's a mix, but all recent) but the cards
    are generally at the latest and greatest (IIRC, 2.76)

  9. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    If they are 2.76 on the Smartarrays then that would be a problem
    They are up to 3.56 now for Alpha

    Suggest an upgrade with your F/W 7.3 CD

    DT
    wrote in message
    news:1191587903.083663.283930@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    > On 4 Oct, 16:32, "David Turner, Island Computers" > islandco.com> wrote:
    >> Firmware version?
    >>
    >> DT wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1191510262.273359.16290@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...

    >> > Yup, we've set those.

    >> > S.- Hide quoted text -

    > Not sure on the Alphas (there's a mix, but all recent) but the cards
    > are generally at the latest and greatest (IIRC, 2.76)

  10. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    On 5 Oct, 15:50, "David Turner, Island Computers" islandco.com> wrote:
    > If they are 2.76 on the Smartarrays then that would be a problem
    > They are up to 3.56 now for Alpha
    >
    > Suggest an upgrade with your F/W 7.3 CD
    >
    > DT wrote in message
    >
    > news:1191587903.083663.283930@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > > On 4 Oct, 16:32, "David Turner, Island Computers" > > islandco.com> wrote:
    > >> Firmware version?

    > >> DT wrote in message

    > >>news:1191510262.273359.16290@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...

    > > Not sure on the Alphas (there's a mix, but all recent) but the cards
    > > are generally at the latest and greatest (IIRC, 2.76)- Hide quoted text -

    That's why I said IIRC. I didn't.
    The firmware version for the 5302A is 3.56. the one for the 6402A is
    2.76

  11. Re: SmartArray errors on system boot

    I assume you have also checked to make sure all the disks you have added are
    up to date firmware-wise.
    I know we had compatibility issues with U320 drives running with U3 drives.
    There are so so many updates done to these drives.

    news:1191597400.416096.310950@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...

+ Reply to Thread