Peek&Spy anyone ? - VMS

This is a discussion on Peek&Spy anyone ? - VMS ; Hi. Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ? Any comments on the product ? http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm Jan-Erik....

  1. Peek&Spy anyone ?

    Hi.
    Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    Any comments on the product ?

    http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm

    Jan-Erik.

  2. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >Hi.
    >Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    >Any comments on the product ?
    >
    >http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm
    >
    >Jan-Erik.

    Yes, but RaxcoSuport/CONTRL is better!

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  3. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >Hi.
    >Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    >Any comments on the product ?
    >
    >http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm

    Worked fine for me on VAX in the early 1990s (and the part where I could take
    over their terminals and type commands for them saved me a lot of time in
    running around to pepole's offices). Since then has become irrelevant to
    me most of my users access VMS resources through things that aren't terminals.
    (Eg, web-based front ends, X windows applications, etc.)

    -- Alan

  4. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Hi.
    > Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    > Any comments on the product ?
    >
    > http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm

    We have been using it for years on VAX, Alpha, and now Itanium.
    Works as advertised and they have good support.

    Shael

  5. RE: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    I'll second that...

  6. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >> Hi.
    >> Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    >> Any comments on the product ?
    >>
    >> http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm
    >>
    >> Jan-Erik.

    > Yes, but RaxcoSuport/CONTRL is better!

    Completely mooth argument if I can't download
    a demo directly. I've downloaded a 30-day demo
    of Peek&Spy yesterday evening and had it up-n-running
    in a few minutes. Is there something like that
    for RaxcoSupport ? And I've still not heard anything
    from anyone about RaxcoSupport (apart from some
    info here on c.o.v). That makes it non-existant as
    far as I'm concerned...

    Jan-Erik.

  7. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    Shael Richmond wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >> Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    >> Any comments on the product ?
    >>
    >> http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm
    >>

    > We have been using it for years on VAX, Alpha, and now Itanium.
    > Works as advertised and they have good support.
    >

    > Shael

    Fine.
    I downloaded a copy (30-day demo) yesterday evening and
    it seems to work well. In our case I want to use it to
    "listen" to TNA and LTA connected production equipment
    such as barcode readers and PLC's. So it's not normal
    terminal based "users". In the test yesterday I used it
    to "spy" on a FTA terminal created from an SSH session.
    No particual problem apart from the default to
    exit the spy session that opened the "print" dialog
    in Reflection... :-)

    OK, I'll await the sales dept of the compny to supply
    me with prices...

    Jan-Erik.

  8. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    On Nov 10, 11:35*pm, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > Hi.
    > Anyone used Peek&Spy from "Networking Dynamics Corporation" ?
    > Any comments on the product ?
    >
    > http://networkingdynamics.com/Peek.htm
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    I would second Vaxman's suggestion of Raxco Control.

    If you're looking for a cheap and cheerfull method, you can do this
    with SET HOST :-

    ALPHA_ROB$ sh log *weigh*

    (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

    "NTA$WEIGH" = "LTA9033:"
    "NTA$WEIGHBAR" = "LTA9034:"

    (LNM$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE)
    ALPHA_ROB$

    BETA_ROB$ set host /dte NTA$WEIGHBAR

    %REM-S-END, control returned to node BETA
    %SYSTEM-W-DEVALLOC, device already allocated to another user
    BETA_ROB$ gim share
    BETA_ROB$ set host /dte NTA$WEIGHBAR

    %REM-I-TOQUIT, connection established

    Press Ctrl/\ to quit, Ctrl/@ for command mode

  9. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    Quick update...

    I've now runed a few tests with Peek&Spy.

    The major problem right now is that is doesn't log
    data going *in* to VMS if it isn't echo'ed back out.

    Some security concern (not logging non-echoed passwords)
    that I can understand, but that breaks my use of it...

    What I need is something that would give the same logging
    as if I had attached a RS232/serial line "sniffer" to
    the actual terminal server port. That is, log everything
    going in and out no matter the VMS terminal/device settings.

    That's about Peek&Spy...

    About CONTRL...

    I'm currently trying to find a manual for CONTRL, the
    www.raxco.com site is *very* succesfull in hiding everything
    having anything with VMS to do. They only wants to sell
    Disk defraggers for Windows, as far as I understand from
    the actual web site.

    If someone could show me how to find anything VMS related
    by clicking from http://www.raxco.com/ that would be nice.

    Late update... !!

    While writing this I got a couple of manuals mailed
    directly from Raxco... Fine then, now into the manuals.

    I will first see if the manual tells me something about
    similar restrictions on the logging as Peek&Spy has. If not
    I'll try in "live" and we'll see...

    Thanks for listening...
    Jan-Erik.

  10. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    On Nov 11, 10:08*pm, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > Quick update...
    >
    > I've now runed a few tests with Peek&Spy.
    >
    > The major problem right now is that is doesn't log
    > data going *in* to VMS if it isn't echo'ed back out.
    >
    > Some security concern (not logging non-echoed passwords)
    > that I can understand, but that breaks my use of it...
    >
    > What I need is something that would give the same logging
    > as if I had attached a RS232/serial line "sniffer" to
    > the actual terminal server port. That is, log everything
    > going in and out no matter the VMS terminal/device settings.
    >
    > That's about Peek&Spy...
    >
    > About CONTRL...
    >
    > I'm currently trying to find a manual for CONTRL, thewww.raxco.comsite is*very* succesfull in hiding everything
    > having anything with VMS to do. They only wants to sell
    > Disk defraggers for Windows, as far as I understand from
    > the actual web site.
    >
    > If someone could show me how to find anything VMS related
    > by clicking fromhttp://www.raxco.com/that would be nice.
    >
    > Late update... !!
    >
    > While writing this I got a couple of manuals mailed
    > directly from Raxco... Fine then, now into the manuals.
    >
    > I will first see if the manual tells me something about
    > similar restrictions on the logging as Peek&Spy has. If not
    > I'll try in "live" and we'll see...
    >
    > Thanks for listening...
    > Jan-Erik.

    I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of negative comments here. It's
    been a *long* time since I had any involvement with systems using
    Peek&Spy or similar, but I do remember various adverse effects, from
    changing IO behaviour (maybe transparently to users, but not always so
    transparently where machine<>machine comms was involved, which is what
    you want), all the way down to repeatable system crashers (to the
    extent that the support folks were reluctant to investigate crash
    dumps which had evidence of terminal monitoring programs in use).

    You mention using an actual serial comms analyser. I presume that's
    not really practical for you?

    In case CONTRL and Peek&Spy don't work out for your machine comms
    needs: rather than intercepting the terminal driver IO, how about
    something that decodes and logs the relevant Ethernet packets for you?
    Is tcpdump available on your VMS systems, can it be made to do
    anything like what you need? Both Multinet and HP stacks do have a
    version of tcpdump, but I'm not aware of its detailed capabilities.

    If tcpdump doesn't suit, how about a separate LAN-connected box with
    Wireshark/Ethereal? There doesn't seem to be a VMS version just now,
    but there are versions for many other OSes, including ones which you
    will likely have around. Note that you must connect the Wireshark/
    Ethereal box somewhere it will actually see the relevant packets
    (cheap/dumb switches may not forward the traffic you want to the port
    you're monitoring on).

    Neither of these is as elegant as a traditional interactive terminal
    monitoring application, but you're not really doing typical
    interactive terminal monitoring.

  11. Re: Peek&Spy anyone ?

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >Quick update...
    >
    >I've now runed a few tests with Peek&Spy.
    >
    >The major problem right now is that is doesn't log
    >data going *in* to VMS if it isn't echo'ed back out.
    >
    >Some security concern (not logging non-echoed passwords)
    >that I can understand, but that breaks my use of it...
    >
    >What I need is something that would give the same logging
    >as if I had attached a RS232/serial line "sniffer" to
    >the actual terminal server port. That is, log everything
    >going in and out no matter the VMS terminal/device settings.
    >
    >That's about Peek&Spy...
    >

    >About CONTRL...
    >
    >I'm currently trying to find a manual for CONTRL, the
    >www.raxco.com site is *very* succesfull in hiding everything
    >having anything with VMS to do. They only wants to sell
    >Disk defraggers for Windows, as far as I understand from
    >the actual web site.
    >
    >If someone could show me how to find anything VMS related
    >by clicking from http://www.raxco.com/ that would be nice.
    >
    >Late update... !!
    >
    >While writing this I got a couple of manuals mailed
    >directly from Raxco... Fine then, now into the manuals.
    >
    >I will first see if the manual tells me something about
    >similar restrictions on the logging as Peek&Spy has. If not
    >I'll try in "live" and we'll see...
    >
    >Thanks for listening...
    >Jan-Erik.

    If you have any specific questions re CONTRL, feel free to ask me.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

+ Reply to Thread