Volume Shadowing Temporary Version Expired - VMS

This is a discussion on Volume Shadowing Temporary Version Expired - VMS ; Hello, Someone installed a Volume Shadowing Temporary Version, and ensure us that the license will be acquired before expiration. So we do all our work on the shadow disc. Now the temporary version has expired. My guess, (my hope really) ...

  1. Volume Shadowing Temporary Version Expired

    Hello,

    Someone installed a Volume Shadowing Temporary Version, and ensure us
    that the license will be acquired before expiration. So we do all our
    work on the shadow disc.

    Now the temporary version has expired. My guess, (my hope really) is
    once we get the license we recover all the work he have done.

    Could anyone confim if I'm right or may I get ready to do the job
    again?

    Regards

  2. Re: Volume Shadowing Temporary Version Expired

    Ramon Jimenez wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Someone installed a Volume Shadowing Temporary Version, and ensure us
    > that the license will be acquired before expiration. So we do all our
    > work on the shadow disc.
    >
    > Now the temporary version has expired. My guess, (my hope really) is
    > once we get the license we recover all the work he have done.
    >
    > Could anyone confim if I'm right or may I get ready to do the job
    > again?
    >
    > Regards

    You should be able to mount and read any member of that shadow set.
    What you cannot do is mount it as a shadow set. Once you get your
    license, you can, once again, mount the shadow set as a shadow set.

    It has been a few years since I last had a volume shadowing license to
    work with. IIRC you can mount, use, and even write to, ONE member of
    that set. When you get your license, install it, and load it, you will
    be able to mount your disks as a shadow set again. When you mount your
    second volume, it should do a shadow copy to update the second volume.

    Get a copy of the Volume Shadowing manual, READ IT and UNDERSTAND IT.
    You should NOT rely on my ten year old memories of volume shadowing!
    My memory grows DIMM!

  3. Re: Volume Shadowing Temporary Version Expired

    In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >Ramon Jimenez wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Someone installed a Volume Shadowing Temporary Version, and ensure us
    >> that the license will be acquired before expiration. So we do all our
    >> work on the shadow disc.
    >>
    >> Now the temporary version has expired. My guess, (my hope really) is
    >> once we get the license we recover all the work he have done.
    >>
    >> Could anyone confim if I'm right or may I get ready to do the job
    >> again?
    >>
    >> Regards

    >You should be able to mount and read any member of that shadow set.
    >What you cannot do is mount it as a shadow set. Once you get your
    >license, you can, once again, mount the shadow set as a shadow set.
    >
    >It has been a few years since I last had a volume shadowing license to
    >work with. IIRC you can mount, use, and even write to, ONE member of
    >that set. When you get your license, install it, and load it, you will
    >be able to mount your disks as a shadow set again. When you mount your
    >second volume, it should do a shadow copy to update the second volume.

    If he needs only to access what is on the set, mount one of the drives
    $ MOUNT[/SYSTEM]/NOWRITE device label

    Then there won't even be a shadow copy when he does get the license and
    can recreate/remount the set.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

+ Reply to Thread