Re: Synchronizing SYSUAF between independent machines - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Synchronizing SYSUAF between independent machines - VMS ; Some time ago I merged a separate system disk as a root on another existing system disk. It was not trivial. There was a DSNLINK article at one time on how to merge two SYSUAF.DAT and respective RIGHTSLIST.DAT files. Someone ...

  1. Re: Synchronizing SYSUAF between independent machines

    Some time ago I merged a separate system disk as a root on another
    existing system disk.
    It was not trivial. There was a DSNLINK article at one time on how to
    merge two SYSUAF.DAT
    and respective RIGHTSLIST.DAT files. Someone here may have a pointer to
    an achive of
    those articles. It involved sort/merge and eliminating duplicates and
    convert.

    Extra care is needed that the IDENTIFIERS on the two systems are
    identical, especially if they
    were created over time on each system; this needs to be checked carefully.
    Use of ACL's
    and IDENTIFIERS complicates things.

    IIRC you need to reboot to get the system to recognize the newest
    RIGHTSLIST.DAT.
    Depending on your activity level, if you start even, I would write
    something to update each
    independently and compare the results. No reliable tools exist AFAIK.

    Ramon Jimenez wrote on 11/05/2008 03:09:30 AM:

    > > The best method to achieve this type of configuration is to create an
    > > OpenVMS cluster.

    > Bob,
    >
    > I fully agree, the best method is a cluster, but someone has
    > decided not to use. So I must find an alternate way.
    >
    > So, without the cluster option. Is there another way than copying
    > sysuaf.dat and rights.dat files?
    >
    > If I need to switch over can I merge sysuaf files so I do not need
    > a reboot? or would it be better to reboot the machine and replace the
    > sysuaf file?
    >
    > Regards

  2. Re: Synchronizing SYSUAF between independent machines

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:05:20AM -0500, norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:
    > Ramon Jimenez wrote on 11/05/2008 03:09:30 AM:
    >

    > > > The best method to achieve this type of configuration is to create an
    > > > OpenVMS cluster.

    > > Bob,
    > >
    > > I fully agree, the best method is a cluster, but someone has
    > > decided not to use. So I must find an alternate way.
    > >
    > > So, without the cluster option. Is there another way than copying
    > > sysuaf.dat and rights.dat files?
    > >
    > > If I need to switch over can I merge sysuaf files so I do not need
    > > a reboot? or would it be better to reboot the machine and replace the
    > > sysuaf file?
    > >
    > > Regards

    > Some time ago I merged a separate system disk as a root on another
    > existing system disk.
    > It was not trivial. There was a DSNLINK article at one time on how to
    > merge two SYSUAF.DAT
    > and respective RIGHTSLIST.DAT files. Someone here may have a pointer to
    > an achive of
    > those articles. It involved sort/merge and eliminating duplicates and
    > convert.
    >
    > Extra care is needed that the IDENTIFIERS on the two systems are
    > identical, especially if they
    > were created over time on each system; this needs to be checked carefully.
    > Use of ACL's
    > and IDENTIFIERS complicates things.
    >

    > IIRC you need to reboot to get the system to recognize the newest
    > RIGHTSLIST.DAT.
    > Depending on your activity level, if you start even, I would write
    > something to update each
    > independently and compare the results. No reliable tools exist AFAIK.

    refer also to section 5.22 "Can I copy SYSUAF to another version? To VAX? To
    Alpha?" of the FAQ manual, and to App. B of the OpenVMS Cluster Systems
    manual.

    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht