WPSPLUS on Layered Products? - VMS

This is a discussion on WPSPLUS on Layered Products? - VMS ; Bit of an arcane query I know, but was WPSPLUS included on the Alpha Layered Products distributions at all? If so, does any one know approx. what year or VMS version it was last seen on? Thanks, Mark....

  1. WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    Bit of an arcane query I know, but was WPSPLUS included on the Alpha
    Layered Products distributions at all? If so, does any one know
    approx. what year or VMS version it was last seen on?

    Thanks, Mark.

  2. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    urbancamo wrote:
    > Bit of an arcane query I know, but was WPSPLUS included on the Alpha
    > Layered Products distributions at all? If so, does any one know
    > approx. what year or VMS version it was last seen on?
    >
    > Thanks, Mark.

    If you are trying to retrieve an ancient document, or a collection of
    ancient documents, I know a man who specializes in doing just that. He
    has copies of antique software, carefully preserved antique hardware,
    etc, etc. He can read your antique files and print out the text, or
    even convert to modern media and file formats.

  3. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    urbancamo wrote:
    > Bit of an arcane query I know, but was WPSPLUS included on the Alpha
    > Layered Products distributions at all? If so, does any one know
    > approx. what year or VMS version it was last seen on?

    On the 1995 VAX distribution, standalone WPS-PLUS was not included.

    On a may 1992 VAX distribution WPSPLUS 4.1 was included.

    I am not sure the standalone WPSPLUS product ever made it to Alpha. (But
    WPSPLUS was ported to Alpha as part of ALL-IN-1).

  4. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    On 5 Nov, 18:08, JF Mezei wrote:
    > urbancamo wrote:
    > > Bit of an arcane query I know, but was WPSPLUS included on the Alpha
    > > Layered Products distributions at all? If so, does any one know
    > > approx. what year or VMS version it was last seen on?

    > On the 1995 VAX distribution, standalone WPS-PLUS was not included.
    >
    > On a may 1992 VAX distribution WPSPLUS 4.1 was included.
    >
    > I am not sure the standalone WPSPLUS product ever made it to Alpha. (But
    > WPSPLUS was ported to Alpha as part of ALL-IN-1).

    I don't believe that standalone WPSPlus made it to Alpha. In fact,
    I'm 99.99% sure it didn't. I think it had been discontinued prior to
    the porting of layered products to Alpha. Users tended, in my limited
    experience at that time, to be moving to PC systems or to WordPerfect
    which was ported to Alpha but was pretty expensive IIRC.

    Steve

  5. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    urbancamo wrote:
    > Bit of an arcane query I know, but was WPSPLUS included on the Alpha
    > Layered Products distributions at all? If so, does any one know
    > approx. what year or VMS version it was last seen on?

    According to my list at http://de.openvms.org/spl.php there never was a
    product "WPS-PLUS" on Alpha.

    It was part of the VAX ConDists at least from Sep-1992 (earliest list I
    have access to) until May-1994, in versions 4.0 and 4.1.

    cu,
    Martin

    BTW: if anyone has a ConDist earlier than Sep-1992, I'd love to have a
    copy of the CD_CONTENTS.DAT file to make that page more complete.
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  6. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    Martin Vorlaender wrote:

    > According to my list at http://de.openvms.org/spl.php there never was a
    > product "WPS-PLUS" on Alpha.

    Note however, that WPSPLUS itself was ported to alpha as part of
    ALL-IN-1. It was never packaged separately. And towards the end of
    ALL-IN-1, WPSPLUS and MessageRouter were optional add-ons from a
    licensing point of view.

  7. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    Thank you to everyone for the help.

    Am I right in thinking that Compaq Office Server for Alpha therefore
    doesn't include WPS-PLUS but ALLIN1 for Alpha does?

    Regards, Mark.

  8. Re: WPSPLUS on Layered Products?

    urbancamo wrote:

    > Am I right in thinking that Compaq Office Server for Alpha therefore
    > doesn't include WPS-PLUS but ALLIN1 for Alpha does?

    Office Server is All-In-1. It maintains the character cell interface,
    but was licensed more for the background server serving windows desktops.

    The CDs contain both the ALL-IN-1 version and the office server version.

    My guess is the WPSPLUS option is selected at the build time when the A1
    image is being linked during installation.

+ Reply to Thread