%DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM - VMS

This is a discussion on %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM - VMS ; We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we need access to it for some records out the database. Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it. %DSM-E-NOTRUN A ...

  1. %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we
    need access to it for some records out the database.

    Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it.
    %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM configuration is not running

    Then it dumps you back at the logon, I found an old article on google
    that mentions running with an -M switch but havent a clue where to
    start?

    Digital MicroVax 3100-80

    VMS 5.5-1

    DSM Version 6

    Just on the complete off chance I'm hoping someone may point me in the
    right direction or what to do next with it.

    I dont have any knowledge of the system or programming what can I do
    to get it running again?

  2. Re: %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    On Nov 5, 4:49*am, k...@mols.co.uk wrote:
    > We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we
    > need access to it for some records out the database.
    >
    > Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it.
    > %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM configuration is not running
    >
    > Then it dumps you back at the logon, I found an old article on google
    > that mentions running with an -M switch but havent a clue where to
    > start?
    >
    > Digital MicroVax 3100-80
    >
    > VMS 5.5-1
    >
    > DSM Version 6
    >
    > Just on the complete off chance I'm hoping someone may point me in the
    > right direction or what to do next with it.
    >
    > I dont have any knowledge of the system or programming what can I do
    > to get it running again?

    Kev,

    VMS 5.5 is a fairly old release. As a guess, I would suspect that the
    system was rebooted recently and something did not start correctly
    when the system restarted. The SHOW SYSTEM command at the "$" prompt
    will, among other things, show the time that the system has been up
    since last bootstrap.

    Beyond that, it is fairly difficult to diagnose what precisely is
    happening from only this information. Before this started happening,
    when was the last time that the system was accessed.

    I would suggest getting someone with the appropriate experience to
    take a closer look [Disclosure: We do provide such services.] I have
    seen far more data lost through unskilled attempts at correction than
    through actual problems.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    On Nov 5, 10:04*am, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 4:49*am, k...@mols.co.uk wrote:
    >

    > > We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we
    > > need access to it for some records out the database.

    > > Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it.
    > > %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM configuration is not running

    > > Then it dumps you back at the logon, I found an old article on google
    > > that mentions running with an -M switch but havent a clue where to
    > > start?

    > > Digital MicroVax 3100-80

    > > VMS 5.5-1

    > > DSM Version 6

    > > Just on the complete off chance I'm hoping someone may point me in the
    > > right direction or what to do next with it.

    > > I dont have any knowledge of the system or programming what can I do
    > > to get it running again?

    > Kev,
    >
    > VMS 5.5 is a fairly old release. As a guess, I would suspect that the
    > system was rebooted recently and something did not start correctly
    > when the system restarted. The SHOW SYSTEM command at the "$" prompt
    > will, among other things, show the time that the system has been up
    > since last bootstrap.
    >
    > Beyond that, it is fairly difficult to diagnose what precisely is
    > happening from only this information. Before this started happening,
    > when was the last time that the system was accessed.
    >
    > I would suggest getting someone with the appropriate experience to
    > take a closer look [Disclosure: We do provide such services.] I have
    > seen far more data lost through unskilled attempts at correction than
    > through actual problems.
    >
    > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Bob

    Would you be able to give me a price or guesstimate for you to take a
    look and resolve it?

    Many thanks
    Kev

  4. Re: %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    modinside wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 10:04 am, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    >> On Nov 5, 4:49 am, k...@mols.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>> We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we
    >>> need access to it for some records out the database.
    >>> Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it.
    >>> %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM configuration is not running
    >>> Then it dumps you back at the logon, I found an old article on google
    >>> that mentions running with an -M switch but havent a clue where to
    >>> start?
    >>> Digital MicroVax 3100-80
    >>> VMS 5.5-1
    >>> DSM Version 6
    >>> Just on the complete off chance I'm hoping someone may point me in the
    >>> right direction or what to do next with it.
    >>> I dont have any knowledge of the system or programming what can I do
    >>> to get it running again?

    >> [...snip...]

    > Thanks Bob
    >
    > Would you be able to give me a price or guesstimate for you to take a
    > look and resolve it?

    Kevin, since you appear to be in Sevenoaks (Kent), you might like
    to engage someone more, ahem, "local" (hint, hint).

  5. Re: %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    In article <49118173$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, "R.A.Omond" writes:
    >modinside wrote:

    >>> [...snip...]

    >> Thanks Bob
    >>
    >> Would you be able to give me a price or guesstimate for you to take a
    >> look and resolve it?

    >Kevin, since you appear to be in Sevenoaks (Kent), you might like
    >to engage someone more, ahem, "local" (hint, hint).

    The internet isn't local enough?

    I've already responded to him. I've seen an error similar to his in the
    past at a medical group office.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    On Nov 5, 4:49*am, k...@mols.co.uk wrote:
    > We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we
    > need access to it for some records out the database.
    >
    > Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it.
    > %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM configuration is not running
    >
    > Then it dumps you back at the logon, I found an old article on google
    > that mentions running with an -M switch but havent a clue where to
    > start?
    >
    > Digital MicroVax 3100-80
    >
    > VMS 5.5-1
    >
    > DSM Version 6
    >
    > Just on the complete off chance I'm hoping someone may point me in the
    > right direction or what to do next with it.
    >
    > I dont have any knowledge of the system or programming what can I do
    > to get it running again?

    A DSM (Digital Standard MUMPS) database environment exists as a
    collection of daemon processes running detached on the system that
    provide access and integrity to the database. All of these processes
    run under the account/username that owns the database. That error
    message is saying that these processes are not "up". So, if you have
    access to account that owns the database, log into that account and
    try something like

    $ DSM/MAN ^STU

    and answer the prompts and the database will start up. ^STU is the
    startup routine for the DSM database. You might also be interested in
    what

    $ HELP DSM

    can tell you.

  7. Re: %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM

    On Nov 5, 6:34*am, Jim wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 4:49*am, k...@mols.co.uk wrote:
    >

    > > We have an old vax system here which is really not used much, but we
    > > need access to it for some records out the database.

    > > Unfortunately it comes up with this error on trying to log onto it.
    > > %DSM-E-NOTRUN A DSM configuration is not running

    > > Then it dumps you back at the logon, I found an old article on google
    > > that mentions running with an -M switch but havent a clue where to
    > > start?

    > > Digital MicroVax 3100-80

    > > VMS 5.5-1

    > > DSM Version 6

    > > Just on the complete off chance I'm hoping someone may point me in the
    > > right direction or what to do next with it.

    > > I dont have any knowledge of the system or programming what can I do
    > > to get it running again?

    > A DSM (Digital Standard MUMPS) database environment exists as a
    > collection of daemon processes running detached on the system that
    > provide access and integrity to the database. All of these processes
    > run under the account/username that owns the database. That error
    > message is saying that these processes are not "up". So, if you have
    > access to account that owns the database, log into that account and
    > try something like
    >
    > $ DSM/MAN ^STU
    >
    > and answer the prompts and the database will start up. ^STU is the
    > startup routine for the DSM database. You might also be interested in
    > what
    >
    > $ HELP DSM
    >
    > can tell you.

    First find the environment manager.

    Set default sys$library
    then
    DSM/MAN/NOVOL

    you will get a prompt similiar to

    Then do the following.

    >D ^%G

    Global>DSMMGR

    You may then carriage return to get back to > and then Halt to exit
    back to VMS.

    Here you will get a listing of environments. See if there is one
    called DSMMGR, if so, then look in the sysuaf and set the password for
    the DSMMGR account.

    Log into the DSMMGR account and perform the following.

    $DSM/MAN ^STU

    This will start the environment.

    If there is no environment called DSMMGR, then look for the
    environment associated with the "1". This will "most likely" be the
    correct environment. Follow the steps above to log into the
    environment manager.

    If you have any further question please e-mail me.

+ Reply to Thread