MES Serial communication - VMS

This is a discussion on MES Serial communication - VMS ; Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view this ...

  1. MES Serial communication

    Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    this i/o without interrupting the proces?

  2. Re: MES Serial communication

    On Nov 4, 10:44 am, hans.van.buite...@philips.com wrote:
    > Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    > terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    > data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    > this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    Hans,

    The OP does not mention the version of OpenVMS that is in use.

    In similar situations, when I have wanted to monitor what is going
    back and forth on such a channel, I have often used one or more copies
    of Kermit and a carefully wired serial "Y" adapter (with one leg of
    the "Y" being Receive-only.

    There were a couple of terminal sharing packages extant at various
    points, but I would be cautious about using them on machine-machine
    communications without a careful technical review.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: MES Serial communication

    On 4 Nov, 15:44, hans.van.buite...@philips.com wrote:
    > Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    > terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    > data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    > this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    You could look at the LAT traffic on the LAN to see the data.

  4. Re: MES Serial communication

    hans.van.buitenen@philips.com wrote:
    > Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    > terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    > data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    > this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    Usualy you have to connect a "serial monitor" to the actual
    serial line. In the term.server you can only see the
    in- and out-counters. That is, the number of bytes/characters
    sent and received.

    Or, modify the program/application on VMS to log all "traffic"
    to some file...

  5. Re: MES Serial communication

    On Nov 4, 10:44 am, hans.van.buite...@philips.com wrote:
    > Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    > terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    > data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    > this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    Hans,

    Certainly, as Ian suggests, it is possible to monitor the LAT traffic
    on the LAN using WireShark or similar LAN monitor.

    The reason that I suggested using a "Y" cable on the actual serial
    link is that LAT is not terribly well documented.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  6. Re: MES Serial communication

    In article <35b306a7-fdfe-49d7-a27f-08291e044cba@j40g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, Bob Gezelter writes:
    >On Nov 4, 10:44 am, hans.van.buite...@philips.com wrote:
    >> Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    >> terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    >> data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    >> this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    >Hans,
    >
    >The OP does not mention the version of OpenVMS that is in use.
    >
    >In similar situations, when I have wanted to monitor what is going
    >back and forth on such a channel, I have often used one or more copies
    >of Kermit and a carefully wired serial "Y" adapter (with one leg of
    >the "Y" being Receive-only.

    I have done this in the past. I wired up a sort of serial line monitor
    that recorded data. A couple of isolation diodes, a small breadboarding
    PCB, a 9pin D socket, connector pins and a breakout box coupled with my
    Mac running Kermit in debug mode worked nicely to trap this data but it
    was a bear to pour over. I used it to debug data coming from a digital
    scale being used in a pharmaceutical's necroscopy lab to a VT4xx series
    terminal's printer port for sample weight data collection. This was in-
    strumental in determining that the software I provided was correct and
    that the digital scale's communication spec was wrong.

    I used a KeySpan USB-Serial adapter and kermit as:

    alias serial 'kermit -y $HOME/.KeySerial

    and .KeySerial is:

    def YorNdebug
    def YorNlogit
    def LogFileName
    set quiet on
    set line /dev/tty.KeySerial1
    set port /dev/tty.KeySerial1
    set modem none
    set speed 9600
    set parity none
    set stop-bits 1
    set carrier-watch off
    set terminal cr-display normal
    ask YorNdebug {Debug Mode [Y/N]? }
    if equal "\m(YorNdebug)" "Y" {
    set terminal debug on
    echo Terminal set to Debug Mode
    echo
    ask YorNlogit {Log Session to File [Y/N]? }
    if equal "\m(YorNlogit)" "Y" {
    ask LogFileName {Log Session to: }
    log session \m(LogFileName)
    }
    }
    echo
    echo Connected to /dev/tty.KeySerial1 at 9600 baud
    echo Press Ctrl-\92 and then C to quit
    connect
    exit

    >There were a couple of terminal sharing packages extant at various
    >points, but I would be cautious about using them on machine-machine
    >communications without a careful technical review.

    Why do/would you say that? I maintain RAXCO's CONTRL. It is one of the
    best terminal sharing packages out there and it can be used in a strict
    "watch" (sniff) mode . This same technology (Patented) is also employed
    in ProvN's SecurityGuard to capture and log terminal I/O for audit/secur-
    ity purposes.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  7. Re: MES Serial communication

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > I maintain RAXCO's CONTRL. It is one of the
    > best terminal sharing packages out there and it can be used in a strict
    > "watch" (sniff) mode . This same technology (Patented) is also employed
    > in ProvN's SecurityGuard to capture and log terminal I/O for audit/secur-
    > ity purposes.

    Can it log traffic over TNAxxxx or LTAxxx device directly ?

    Can you provide a link to the product ?

    Jan-Erik.

  8. Re: MES Serial communication

    In article <3191263c-5af9-4e59-ad7a-0eaf3a8336ac@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, hans.van.buitenen@philips.com writes:
    > Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    > terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    > data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    > this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    No.

  9. Re: MES Serial communication

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> I maintain RAXCO's CONTRL. It is one of the
    >> best terminal sharing packages out there and it can be used in a strict
    >> "watch" (sniff) mode . This same technology (Patented) is also employed
    >> in ProvN's SecurityGuard to capture and log terminal I/O for audit/secur-
    >> ity purposes.
    >>

    >Can it log traffic over TNAxxxx or LTAxxx device directly ?

    Yes.

    $ CONTRL
    CONTRL> help WATCH
    Use this command to connect to another user's terminal and watch
    that user. When you are watching, everything the target user types
    and all the system responses appear on your screen. You cannot
    enter input to the target user's process.

    Format

    WATCH [node::][username] [/qualifiers]

    Additional information available:

    Parameters Qualifiers
    /INPUT_LOG /NOTIFY /OUTPUT_LOG /OVERRIDE

    /OUTPUT_LOG

    /OUTPUT_LOG[=log_name]
    /NOOUTPUT_LOG

    Use this qualifier to override the default log file characteristics
    established by the SET LOGGING command. If you specify the
    qualifier with or without a value, you open a log file when you
    begin watching. If you specify the negation of the qualifier, you
    don't open a log file when you begin watching. If you specify a
    value, you change the default log file name.

    >Can you provide a link to the product ?

    You ask tough questions!

    http://www.raxco.com/products/RaxcoS.../more_info.cfm

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  10. Re: MES Serial communication

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >> Can it log traffic over TNAxxxx or LTAxxx device directly ?

    > Yes.
    >
    > $ CONTRL
    > CONTRL> help WATCH
    > Use this command to connect to another user's terminal and watch
    > that user. When you are watching, everything the target user types
    > and all the system responses appear on your screen.

    In this case the "users" are 100's of detached processed that
    read/write from fixed mounted and hendheld barcode scannes.
    But that's OK as a "user", right ?

    Jan-Erik.

    > You cannot
    > enter input to the target user's process.
    >
    > Format
    >
    > WATCH [node::][username] [/qualifiers]
    >

    > Additional information available:
    >
    > Parameters Qualifiers
    > /INPUT_LOG /NOTIFY /OUTPUT_LOG /OVERRIDE

    > /OUTPUT_LOG
    >
    > /OUTPUT_LOG[=log_name]
    > /NOOUTPUT_LOG
    >
    > Use this qualifier to override the default log file characteristics
    > established by the SET LOGGING command. If you specify the
    > qualifier with or without a value, you open a log file when you
    > begin watching. If you specify the negation of the qualifier, you
    > don't open a log file when you begin watching. If you specify a
    > value, you change the default log file name.
    >

    >> Can you provide a link to the product ?

    > You ask tough questions!
    >
    > http://www.raxco.com/products/RaxcoS.../more_info.cfm

  11. Re: MES Serial communication

    In article <9s0Qk.3852$U5.24246@newsb.telia.net>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >>> Can it log traffic over TNAxxxx or LTAxxx device directly ?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> $ CONTRL
    >> CONTRL> help WATCH
    >> Use this command to connect to another user's terminal and watch
    >> that user. When you are watching, everything the target user types
    >> and all the system responses appear on your screen.

    >In this case the "users" are 100's of detached processed that
    >read/write from fixed mounted and hendheld barcode scannes.
    >But that's OK as a "user", right ?

    I know sites using very similar devices. One site had them connected to
    their VMS boxes via a radio link so bar-codes scanned on the warehouse's
    floor are fed into their inventory system in near real-time as items are
    picked. If the scanner looks like a terminal (telnet or LAT), CONTRL or
    CarbonCopy could be used if you need to save a dump of the terminal I/Os
    going to and fro.

    FWIW, I took some quick photos of my serial-line-analyzer hardware if it
    is of any interest. http://tmesis.com/SLA Nothing really special. The
    photos were taken with low (window) lighting on the kitchen table with a
    50mm f/1.2 lens. Depth of field is a wide as a sheet of paper is thin.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  12. Re: MES Serial communication

    On Nov 4, 11:35 am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <35b306a7-fdfe-49d7-a27f-08291e044...@j40g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, Bob Gezelter writes:
    >
    > >On Nov 4, 10:44 am, hans.van.buite...@philips.com wrote:
    > >> Hi, at our site we have a VMS (OLD VAX) that communicated via a
    > >> terminal server to Production equipment. What i need to know is what
    > >> data is being send via these terminals. Can I use "connect" to view
    > >> this i/o without interrupting the proces?

    > >Hans,

    > >The OP does not mention the version of OpenVMS that is in use.

    > >In similar situations, when I have wanted to monitor what is going
    > >back and forth on such a channel, I have often used one or more copies
    > >of Kermit and a carefully wired serial "Y" adapter (with one leg of
    > >the "Y" being Receive-only.

    > I have done this in the past. I wired up a sort of serial line monitor
    > that recorded data. A couple of isolation diodes, a small breadboarding
    > PCB, a 9pin D socket, connector pins and a breakout box coupled with my
    > Mac running Kermit in debug mode worked nicely to trap this data but it
    > was a bear to pour over. I used it to debug data coming from a digital
    > scale being used in a pharmaceutical's necroscopy lab to a VT4xx series
    > terminal's printer port for sample weight data collection. This was in-
    > strumental in determining that the software I provided was correct and
    > that the digital scale's communication spec was wrong.
    >
    > ... Kermit Commands deleted in the interest of conservation ...
    >
    > >There were a couple of terminal sharing packages extant at various
    > >points, but I would be cautious about using them on machine-machine
    > >communications without a careful technical review.

    > Why do/would you say that? I maintain RAXCO's CONTRL. It is one of the
    > best terminal sharing packages out there and it can be used in a strict
    > "watch" (sniff) mode . This same technology (Patented) is also employed
    > in ProvN's SecurityGuard to capture and log terminal I/O for audit/secur-
    > ity purposes.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    Brian,

    I had not used CONTRL recently, and did not have the manuals easily
    accessible As such, I did not want to make statements about features,
    availability, and related items. No pejorative was intended, merely
    that caution should be exercised to verify that the package is
    intended to provide full echo of the data streams without creating a
    problem in this context.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  13. Re: MES Serial communication

    In article , Bob Gezelter writes:
    >On Nov 4, 11:35 am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >> >Hans,

    >> >The OP does not mention the version of OpenVMS that is in use.

    >> >In similar situations, when I have wanted to monitor what is going
    >> >back and forth on such a channel, I have often used one or more copies
    >> >of Kermit and a carefully wired serial "Y" adapter (with one leg of
    >> >the "Y" being Receive-only.

    >> I have done this in the past. I wired up a sort of serial line monitor
    >> that recorded data. A couple of isolation diodes, a small breadboarding
    >> PCB, a 9pin D socket, connector pins and a breakout box coupled with my
    >> Mac running Kermit in debug mode worked nicely to trap this data but it
    >> was a bear to pour over. I used it to debug data coming from a digital
    >> scale being used in a pharmaceutical's necroscopy lab to a VT4xx series
    >> terminal's printer port for sample weight data collection. This was in-
    >> strumental in determining that the software I provided was correct and
    >> that the digital scale's communication spec was wrong.
    >>
    >> ... Kermit Commands deleted in the interest of conservation ...
    >>
    >> >There were a couple of terminal sharing packages extant at various
    >> >points, but I would be cautious about using them on machine-machine
    >> >communications without a careful technical review.

    >> Why do/would you say that? I maintain RAXCO's CONTRL. It is one of the
    >> best terminal sharing packages out there and it can be used in a strict
    >> "watch" (sniff) mode . This same technology (Patented) is also employed
    >> in ProvN's SecurityGuard to capture and log terminal I/O for audit/secur-
    >> ity purposes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    >Brian,
    >
    >I had not used CONTRL recently, and did not have the manuals easily
    >accessible As such, I did not want to make statements about features,
    >availability, and related items. No pejorative was intended, merely
    >that caution should be exercised to verify that the package is
    >intended to provide full echo of the data streams without creating a
    >problem in this context.
    >
    >- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

    That's fair enough.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  14. Re: MES Serial communication

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >>> Yes.
    >>>
    >>> $ CONTRL
    >>> CONTRL> help WATCH
    >>> Use this command to connect to another user's terminal and watch
    >>> that user. When you are watching, everything the target user types
    >>> and all the system responses appear on your screen.

    >> In this case the "users" are 100's of detached processed that
    >> read/write from fixed mounted and hendheld barcode scannes.
    >> But that's OK as a "user", right ?

    > I know sites using very similar devices. One site had them connected to
    > their VMS boxes via a radio link so bar-codes scanned on the warehouse's
    > floor are fed into their inventory system in near real-time as items are
    > picked.

    Same here. In this case stuff is packed in consumer boxes and
    the VMS box verifies using barcode scanners that the right
    User Manual (and other "consumables") for the actual product
    version is packed. They do not want their French customers to
    receive a Russan handbook. Barcodes read from the User Guides
    are macthed against an Rdb database in real-time.

    Now, a tool to log the actual TNAnnnn or LTAnnn trafic would
    be valuable when installing/replacing scanners to verify how
    the barcodes are read by the scanner.

    I looked at the link proveded in an earlier post, but could
    not find anything about CONTRL on that site. Would it be
    too much asked to get some help to get in touch with someone
    who knows about prices and such? Or is it just as hard as
    getting info/prices about VMS from HP... :-)

    And finaly, what is the difference between CONTRL and
    CarbonCopy ? Web links prefered, of course. Same about
    downloadable documentation, if available.

    Best Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

    If the scanner looks like a terminal (telnet or LAT), CONTRL or
    > CarbonCopy could be used if you need to save a dump of the terminal I/Os
    > going to and fro.
    >
    > FWIW, I took some quick photos of my serial-line-analyzer hardware if it
    > is of any interest. http://tmesis.com/SLA Nothing really special. The
    > photos were taken with low (window) lighting on the kitchen table with a
    > 50mm f/1.2 lens. Depth of field is a wide as a sheet of paper is thin.

  15. Re: MES Serial communication

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >>> In this case the "users" are 100's of detached processed that
    >>> read/write from fixed mounted and hendheld barcode scannes.
    >>> But that's OK as a "user", right ?

    >> I know sites using very similar devices. One site had them connected to
    >> their VMS boxes via a radio link so bar-codes scanned on the warehouse's
    >> floor are fed into their inventory system in near real-time as items are
    >> picked.

    >Same here. In this case stuff is packed in consumer boxes and
    >the VMS box verifies using barcode scanners that the right
    >User Manual (and other "consumables") for the actual product
    >version is packed. They do not want their French customers to
    >receive a Russan handbook. Barcodes read from the User Guides
    >are macthed against an Rdb database in real-time.
    >
    >Now, a tool to log the actual TNAnnnn or LTAnnn trafic would
    >be valuable when installing/replacing scanners to verify how
    >the barcodes are read by the scanner.
    >
    >I looked at the link proveded in an earlier post, but could
    >not find anything about CONTRL on that site. Would it be
    >too much asked to get some help to get in touch with someone
    >who knows about prices and such? Or is it just as hard as
    >getting info/prices about VMS from HP... :-)
    >
    >And finaly, what is the difference between CONTRL and
    >CarbonCopy ? Web links prefered, of course. Same about
    >downloadable documentation, if available.

    OK. First off, the product is called RaxcoSupport. It encompasses
    a number of utilities:

    - CONTRL

    CONTRL allows one to interactively WATCH (spy) or ASSIST (control)
    another terminal session -- on a local system or over network with
    DECnet. I've not been tasked yet to add TCP/IP support albeit I'd
    really like to add it.

    - INSTRUCTOR
    - ATTEND

    These are adjunct utilities for CONTRL. The permit CONTRL to be a
    tool for training.

    - RTMON

    RTMON is an adjunct for both CONTRL and CarbonCopy to allow DECnet
    (RT terminals) to be monitored.

    - FRAMER

    FRAMER is a utility to view logs that are captured. It has intel-
    ligence in it that it will stop at while processing the log a if it
    was actual terminal I/O.

    - WINDOW

    WINDOW is a multi-session tool and more.

    - CALOUT

    CALOUT is a script driven file transfer tool. Think Kermit.

    - CarbonCopy

    CarbonCopy will make a log of any terminal I/O at the request of a
    user or system manager.

    >Jan-Erik.

    I've copied some people at RAXCO re this request. I'm sure one or both
    of them will get back to me so that I can get you in touch with the ap-
    propriate people.

    Norm, who posted earlier, is familar with the product(s). He may chime
    in with some commentary.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  16. Re: MES Serial communication

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >>> I know sites using very similar devices. One site had them connected to
    >>> their VMS boxes via a radio link so bar-codes scanned on the warehouse's
    >>> floor are fed into their inventory system in near real-time as items are
    >>> picked.

    >> Same here. In this case stuff is packed in consumer boxes and
    >> the VMS box verifies using barcode scanners that the right
    >> User Manual (and other "consumables") for the actual product
    >> version is packed. They do not want their French customers to
    >> receive a Russan handbook. Barcodes read from the User Guides
    >> are macthed against an Rdb database in real-time.
    >>
    >> Now, a tool to log the actual TNAnnnn or LTAnnn trafic would
    >> be valuable when installing/replacing scanners to verify how
    >> the barcodes are read by the scanner.
    >>
    >> I looked at the link proveded in an earlier post, but could
    >> not find anything about CONTRL on that site. Would it be
    >> too much asked to get some help to get in touch with someone
    >> who knows about prices and such? Or is it just as hard as
    >> getting info/prices about VMS from HP... :-)
    >>
    >> And finaly, what is the difference between CONTRL and
    >> CarbonCopy ? Web links prefered, of course. Same about
    >> downloadable documentation, if available.

    > OK. First off, the product is called RaxcoSupport. It encompasses
    > a number of utilities:
    >
    > - CONTRL
    >
    > CONTRL allows one to interactively WATCH (spy) or ASSIST (control)
    > another terminal session -- on a local system or over network with
    > DECnet. I've not been tasked yet to add TCP/IP support albeit I'd
    > really like to add it.
    >
    > - INSTRUCTOR
    > - ATTEND
    >
    > These are adjunct utilities for CONTRL. The permit CONTRL to be a
    > tool for training.
    >
    > - RTMON
    >
    > RTMON is an adjunct for both CONTRL and CarbonCopy to allow DECnet
    > (RT terminals) to be monitored.
    >
    > - FRAMER
    >
    > FRAMER is a utility to view logs that are captured. It has intel-
    > ligence in it that it will stop at while processing the log a if it
    > was actual terminal I/O.
    >
    > - WINDOW
    >
    > WINDOW is a multi-session tool and more.
    >
    > - CALOUT
    >
    > CALOUT is a script driven file transfer tool. Think Kermit.
    >
    > - CarbonCopy
    >
    > CarbonCopy will make a log of any terminal I/O at the request of a
    > user or system manager.
    >

    >> Jan-Erik.

    > I've copied some people at RAXCO re this request. I'm sure one or both
    > of them will get back to me so that I can get you in touch with the ap-
    > propriate people.
    >

    > Norm, who posted earlier, is familar with the product(s). He may chime
    > in with some commentary.

    OK, got it... :-)
    So it's all or nothing. No problem.
    The system also has some 100's of normal users
    using Reflection, Extra, VT-terms or handheld
    radiobased terminals (actualy an a little larger
    barcode scanner with an builtin screen and VT-
    emulator). I guess some of the tools here could
    be usefull for day to day user support also.

    I'll await some contact.

    Jan-Erik.

  17. Re: MES Serial communication

    Thanks for your replys, i think i have something to chew on.
    Guess i will try it the hardware way and/or use contrl

  18. Re: MES Serial communication

    On 5 nov, 10:30, hans.van.buite...@philips.com wrote:
    > Thanks for your replys, i think i have something to chew on.
    > Guess i will try it the hardware way and/or use contrl

    Hans, als ik kan helpen laat het maar weten.

    Hans Vlems

+ Reply to Thread