cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22 - VMS

This is a discussion on cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22 - VMS ; As we don't do much of the older stuff, I thought I would ask here. We have a customer using HSZ50s in house (Government Nuke Facility) connected to DS10 systems running Unix 4.0G I suggested going to something newer as ...

  1. cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22

    As we don't do much of the older stuff, I thought I would ask here.

    We have a customer using HSZ50s in house (Government Nuke Facility)
    connected to DS10 systems running Unix 4.0G

    I suggested going to something newer as these HSZ50s are getting v old now
    (as is the HSZ22) and harder to find reliable working parts... don't get me
    wrong, they work ... but for how long is my issue.

    Is there much difference between the CLI for the HSZ50 and the HSZ22 ??

    I know the HSZ22 was designed by CMD so I would assume there are
    differences...

    Also - customer wants to use 36GB 10KPM UW Disks in BA356 shelves - that's
    fine - but once connected to the HSZ50 they are god-awful slow - Wide to
    narrow conversion - and errors up the wazoo !

    Comments and experiences welcomed.

    David

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

  2. Re: cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:22:08 -0700, David Turner, islandco.com
    wrote:

    > As we don't do much of the older stuff, I thought I would ask here.
    >
    > We have a customer using HSZ50s in house (Government Nuke Facility)
    > connected to DS10 systems running Unix 4.0G
    >
    > I suggested going to something newer as these HSZ50s are getting v old
    > now
    > (as is the HSZ22) and harder to find reliable working parts... don't get
    > me
    > wrong, they work ... but for how long is my issue.
    >
    > Is there much difference between the CLI for the HSZ50 and the HSZ22 ??
    >
    > I know the HSZ22 was designed by CMD so I would assume there are
    > differences...
    >
    > Also - customer wants to use 36GB 10KPM UW Disks in BA356 shelves -
    > that's
    > fine - but once connected to the HSZ50 they are god-awful slow - Wide to
    > narrow conversion - and errors up the wazoo !

    I had 74GB in BA356 connected to three alpha nodes and worked fine only
    limited by the 40(?) MB transfer rate. I suspect something wrong with
    your set up, maybe cabling? You shouldn't be seeing errors.
    (Just remembered, I bought these from you!)

    I replaced all this with HSG80 and redundant Brocade switches dual HBAs
    in each node

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22

    Customer is limited to SCSI - a specific config with slight leniencies on
    disk.
    I want to ship him the RA3000 instead of the HSZ50 - newer
    But, all I ask is if people have seen a big difference in CLI between the
    two or is it a standard language.

    --

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.ujv1vs1mhv4qyg@murphus.hsd1.ca.comcast.net...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:22:08 -0700, David Turner, islandco.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> As we don't do much of the older stuff, I thought I would ask here.
    >>
    >> We have a customer using HSZ50s in house (Government Nuke Facility)
    >> connected to DS10 systems running Unix 4.0G
    >>
    >> I suggested going to something newer as these HSZ50s are getting v old
    >> now
    >> (as is the HSZ22) and harder to find reliable working parts... don't get
    >> me
    >> wrong, they work ... but for how long is my issue.
    >>
    >> Is there much difference between the CLI for the HSZ50 and the HSZ22 ??
    >>
    >> I know the HSZ22 was designed by CMD so I would assume there are
    >> differences...
    >>
    >> Also - customer wants to use 36GB 10KPM UW Disks in BA356 shelves -
    >> that's
    >> fine - but once connected to the HSZ50 they are god-awful slow - Wide to
    >> narrow conversion - and errors up the wazoo !

    > I had 74GB in BA356 connected to three alpha nodes and worked fine only
    > limited by the 40(?) MB transfer rate. I suspect something wrong with
    > your set up, maybe cabling? You shouldn't be seeing errors.
    > (Just remembered, I bought these from you!)
    >
    > I replaced all this with HSG80 and redundant Brocade switches dual HBAs
    > in each node
    >>
    >> Comments and experiences welcomed.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMS
    > www.kednos.com

  4. Re: cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22

    "David Turner, islandco.com" wrote in message
    news:tDoOk.53371$XT1.29027@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..

    > Is there much difference between the CLI for the HSZ50 and the HSZ22 ??

    Yes, the HSZ22 doesn't have a supported CLI; there is just the Windows tool
    to configure it. You can probably manage it direct if you have the CMD manuals
    handy but I doubt it would look anything like a 'real' HSZ controller.

  5. Re: cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22

    "David Turner, islandco.com" wrote in message
    news:CMDOk.53693$XT1.35430@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
    > Customer is limited to SCSI - a specific config with slight leniencies on
    > disk.
    > I want to ship him the RA3000 instead of the HSZ50 - newer
    > But, all I ask is if people have seen a big difference in CLI between the
    > two or is it a standard language.

    Better would be HSZ80. Newver and no difference on CLI except that it has
    new features.
    Use ACS 8.8-4 for it. Better peformance and rock solid. HSZ22 is totaly
    different. And you need
    an ups (included) to have a battery backed write back cache.

    HSZ22 was popular in some cluster configurations.

    Best, Gorazd

  6. Re: cli difference between HSZ50 and HSZ22

    Richard Brodie wrote:
    > "David Turner, islandco.com" wrote in message
    > news:tDoOk.53371$XT1.29027@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
    >
    >> Is there much difference between the CLI for the HSZ50 and the HSZ22 ??

    > Yes, the HSZ22 doesn't have a supported CLI; there is just the Windows tool
    > to configure it. You can probably manage it direct if you have the CMD manuals
    > handy but I doubt it would look anything like a 'real' HSZ controller.

    You're right. We had an RA3000 and it was a pain to configure. You
    *have* to use the storageworks software to control it - there is no
    supported CLI by which you can maintain it through the console (the PC
    software can speak to the RA3000 via the serial console, but you see the
    GUI only).

    If the customer doesn't want to go fiber (HSG80) then I think he would
    be better off with an RA8000 based on HSZ80 controllers. There are a
    lot more of them out there, they are faster and more reliable and the
    CLI is very similar to that of the HSG (don't know about the HSZ50).

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

+ Reply to Thread