VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested - VMS

This is a discussion on VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested - VMS ; We have rebuilt the power supplies in two 785s (one native, one a 780-5, i. e. field-upgraded from a 780), and are starting out with diagnostics. The 11/03 front ends run the LSI-11 diagnostics fine. When we boot the system ...

  1. VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    We have rebuilt the power supplies in two 785s (one native, one a 780-5, i. e.
    field-upgraded from a 780), and are starting out with diagnostics.

    The 11/03 front ends run the LSI-11 diagnostics fine.

    When we boot the system floppy, insert the Microdiagnostics floppy, and type
    TEST, we do not get the results we expect from the documentation.

    On the 785, we get a complaint about the SBI, and drop into ODT.

    On the 780-5, we drop into ODT.

    Does anyone here remember far enough back to impart a clue or two as to what is
    going on?

    --
    Rich Alderson "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime."
    news@alderson.users.panix.com --Death, of the Endless

  2. RE: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    Going back into my memory banks, I seem to remember that the SBI cables
    can be a real prob troubleshooting and flaky cables did cause issues with
    Udiags as I recall.

    One tip I remember us doing is to pwr off and remove the sbi cables and
    see if the udiag tests got any further. If yes, then you knew the issue
    was not in the CPU, but on the SBI.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  3. Re: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    On 30 Okt, 01:43, Rich Alderson wrote:
    > We have rebuilt the power supplies in two 785s (one native, one a 780-5, i. e.
    > field-upgraded from a 780), and are starting out with diagnostics.
    >
    > The 11/03 front ends run the LSI-11 diagnostics fine.
    >
    > When we boot the system floppy, insert the Microdiagnostics floppy, and type
    > TEST, we do not get the results we expect from the documentation.
    >
    > On the 785, we get a complaint about the SBI, and drop into ODT.
    >
    > On the 780-5, we drop into ODT.
    >
    > Does anyone here remember far enough back to impart a clue or two as to what is
    > going on?
    >
    > --
    > Rich Alderson * * * * * * * * *"You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime."
    > n...@alderson.users.panix.com * * * * * * * * * * ** * --Death, of the Endless

    I have worked with VAXes a long time ago and I don't remember any
    TEST
    command.
    What one do is to boot the diagnostic floppy to get Diagnostic
    Supervisor prompt.
    Do you have a DS> prompt?

    Do you have this manual?
    http://vt100.net/mirror/hcps/ds780ug2.pdf

  4. Re: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    "Main, Kerry" writes:

> [...]

    Thanks, Kerry, we tried that but no joy. Same result either way.

    We're looking at other possibilities now.

    --
    Rich Alderson "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime."
    news@alderson.users.panix.com --Death, of the Endless

  5. Re: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    jan.andersson@axfood.se writes:

    > I have worked with VAXes a long time ago and I don't remember any TEST
    > command.

    > What one do is to boot the diagnostic floppy to get Diagnostic
    > Supervisor prompt.
    > Do you have a DS> prompt?

    > Do you have this manual?
    > http://vt100.net/mirror/hcps/ds780ug2.pdf

    Thank you for your advice. We cannot successfully boot the Diagnostic
    Supervisor diskette, and are looking into why that might be. One of the
    other tools provided is the "Micro Diagnostics Floppy #1", part number
    AS-E158S-DE, which tests such things as whether the WCS is working at all.
    This is invoked from the >>> prompt with the TEST command, according to the
    installation manual.

    So I'm sorry that you've never heard of it. That does not mean that it does
    not exist, of course.

    --
    Rich Alderson "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime."
    news@alderson.users.panix.com --Death, of the Endless

  6. Re: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    Rich Alderson skrev:
    > jan.andersson@axfood.se writes:
    >
    >> I have worked with VAXes a long time ago and I don't remember any TEST
    >> command.

    >> What one do is to boot the diagnostic floppy to get Diagnostic
    >> Supervisor prompt.
    >> Do you have a DS> prompt?

    >> Do you have this manual?
    >> http://vt100.net/mirror/hcps/ds780ug2.pdf

    > Thank you for your advice. We cannot successfully boot the Diagnostic
    > Supervisor diskette, and are looking into why that might be. One of the
    > other tools provided is the "Micro Diagnostics Floppy #1", part number
    > AS-E158S-DE, which tests such things as whether the WCS is working at all.
    > This is invoked from the >>> prompt with the TEST command, according to the
    > installation manual.
    >
    > So I'm sorry that you've never heard of it. That does not mean that it does
    > not exist, of course.

    Do you know how much, if any similarity exists with the 86x0 machines here, Rich?
    I don't have much on the 11/78[05], but I do have a lot of stuff on the 86x0...

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  7. Re: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    On Nov 3, 5:25*pm, Rich Alderson
    wrote:
    > jan.anders...@axfood.se writes:
    > > *I have worked with VAXes a long time ago and I don't remember any TEST
    > > *command.
    > > *What one do is to boot the diagnostic floppy to get Diagnostic
    > > *Supervisor prompt.
    > > *Do you have a DS> prompt?
    > > *Do you have this manual?
    > > *http://vt100.net/mirror/hcps/ds780ug2.pdf

    > Thank you for your advice. *We cannot successfully boot the Diagnostic
    > Supervisor diskette, and are looking into why that might be. *One of the
    > other tools provided is the "Micro Diagnostics Floppy #1", part number
    > AS-E158S-DE, which tests such things as whether the WCS is working at all..
    > This is invoked from the >>> prompt with the TEST command, according to the
    > installation manual.

    The TEST command lives on in the MicroVAX boot ROM, as well. We've
    discovered the listing for the diagnostic monitor (thanks, Bitsavers!)
    and this is the command string to run the initial, low-level
    diagnostics that, as Rich states, check basic functionality of the
    control store and console interface.

  8. Re: VAX-11/785 microdiagnostics help requested

    Johnny Billquist writes:

    > Rich Alderson skrev:

    >> Thank you for your advice. We cannot successfully boot the Diagnostic
    >> Supervisor diskette, and are looking into why that might be. One of the
    >> other tools provided is the "Micro Diagnostics Floppy #1", part number
    >> AS-E158S-DE, which tests such things as whether the WCS is working at all.
    >> This is invoked from the >>> prompt with the TEST command, according to the
    >> installation manual.

    > Do you know how much, if any similarity exists with the 86x0 machines here,
    > Rich? I don't have much on the 11/78[05], but I do have a lot of stuff on
    > the 86x0...

    I'm sorry, Johnny, I don't know. When I had an account on an 8600 -> 8650
    (field upgrade), it was running Ultrix and I was managing 3 DEC-20s and a
    Systems Concepts SC-30M. I didn't get to play with the 8650 at all (kingdom
    building and all that).

    --
    Rich Alderson "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime."
    news@alderson.users.panix.com --Death, of the Endless

+ Reply to Thread