Converting CMS to a Linux based code/source management system - VMS

This is a discussion on Converting CMS to a Linux based code/source management system - VMS ; Has anyone converted files stored in CMS to a Linux based code/source management system? If so, which Linux system was the target and could it be done automatically? We are currently running CMS Version V4.2 on OpenVMS 7.3-2. Thanks in ...

  1. Converting CMS to a Linux based code/source management system

    Has anyone converted files stored in CMS to a Linux based code/source
    management system? If so, which Linux system was the target and could it be
    done automatically?

    We are currently running CMS Version V4.2 on OpenVMS 7.3-2.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ken Robinson
    Ken(removethis)rbnsn@gmail.com(.removethistoo)

  2. Re: Converting CMS to a Linux based code/source management system

    Ken Robinson (GMail) wrote:
    > Has anyone converted files stored in CMS to a Linux based code/source
    > management system? If so, which Linux system was the target and could it be
    > done automatically?
    >
    > We are currently running CMS Version V4.2 on OpenVMS 7.3-2.

    I haven't done this, but I have looked at various conversions among
    other version control systems. I assume by "converted files stored in
    CMS" you mean preserving revision history and other data recorded in the
    CMS library. That's a non-trivial task and it seems pretty unlikely
    there are any ready-made tools to do it.

    There are two basic approaches. One is to acquire a deep knowledge of
    the internals of both origin and target systems and do a wholesale
    conversion of the repository. The other approach is to use the published
    interfaces to pull one change at a time from the old repository and
    apply it to the new one. There are advantages and disadvantages to each
    approach.

    Either way you need to know a fair amount about how the concepts of the
    two VCSs differ and how they can be mapped to each other and how much
    information really needs to be preserved after the conversion. Do CMS
    classes and groups correspond to branches, tags, or what exactly in the
    system you would move to? Do you need to preserve the username
    responsible for each change, or do you need to map it to a new username
    on the target system? Do ACLs need to be translated to some form of
    access control on the new system? Can you live with having the date of
    each change look like the date of the conversion, or do you need to
    preserve the date as recorded in the original system (which generally
    means faking it on the new system)?

    This is a small subset of the questions likely to come up when looking
    for or building a conversion tool.

    As far as what to convert to, that's a pretty open question. I would
    hate to be a commercial VCS provider these days since there are so many
    excellent free options. Subversion is probably the most similar to CMS
    conceptually. git is what the Linux kernel developers use and is very
    popular among Linux people. I've had a look-see at porting it to VMS and
    may get back to it someday. Mercurial is used by Java, Mozilla,
    Netbeans, and OpenSolaris and has the advantage of being available on
    VMS (without being able to do the conversion locally, the second
    approach mentioned above would be pretty much impossible).

    There are *lots* of other options. You'll have to define what features
    you want and look around.

  3. Re: Converting CMS to a Linux based code/source management system

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:37:48 -0700, Craig A. Berry
    wrote:

    > Ken Robinson (GMail) wrote:
    >> Has anyone converted files stored in CMS to a Linux based code/source
    >> management system? If so, which Linux system was the target and could
    >> it be
    >> done automatically?
    >> We are currently running CMS Version V4.2 on OpenVMS 7.3-2.

    > I haven't done this, but I have looked at various conversions among
    > other version control systems. I assume by "converted files stored in
    > CMS" you mean preserving revision history and other data recorded in the
    > CMS library. That's a non-trivial task and it seems pretty unlikely
    > there are any ready-made tools to do it.
    >
    > There are two basic approaches. One is to acquire a deep knowledge of
    > the internals of both origin and target systems and do a wholesale
    > conversion of the repository. The other approach is to use the published
    > interfaces to pull one change at a time from the old repository and
    > apply it to the new one. There are advantages and disadvantages to each
    > approach.
    >
    > Either way you need to know a fair amount about how the concepts of the
    > two VCSs differ and how they can be mapped to each other and how much
    > information really needs to be preserved after the conversion. Do CMS
    > classes and groups correspond to branches, tags, or what exactly in the
    > system you would move to? Do you need to preserve the username
    > responsible for each change, or do you need to map it to a new username
    > on the target system? Do ACLs need to be translated to some form of
    > access control on the new system? Can you live with having the date of
    > each change look like the date of the conversion, or do you need to
    > preserve the date as recorded in the original system (which generally
    > means faking it on the new system)?
    >
    > This is a small subset of the questions likely to come up when looking
    > for or building a conversion tool.
    >
    > As far as what to convert to, that's a pretty open question. I would
    > hate to be a commercial VCS provider these days since there are so many
    > excellent free options. Subversion is probably the most similar to CMS
    > conceptually. git is what the Linux kernel developers use and is very
    > popular among Linux people. I've had a look-see at porting it to VMS and
    > may get back to it someday. Mercurial is used by Java, Mozilla,
    > Netbeans, and OpenSolaris and has the advantage of being available on
    > VMS (without being able to do the conversion locally, the second
    > approach mentioned above would be pretty much impossible).
    >
    > There are *lots* of other options. You'll have to define what features
    > you want and look around.

    I have worked with various systems on Unix and CMS and I would be inclined
    to keep a VMS system(s) for that purpose alone and set up checkout
    procedures
    and the like from the Linux side. I have one PC that runs Linux and VAX
    VMS
    as a guest and with 2 NICs one for each I can communicate between the two.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

+ Reply to Thread