Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST - VMS ; koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote on 10/29/2008 09:52:36 AM: > In article > 0071A2FC@metso.com >, norm.raphael@metso.com writes: > > > > If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets > > from EDT ...

  1. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote on 10/29/2008
    09:52:36 AM:

    > In article > 0071A2FC@metso.com>, norm.raphael@metso.com writes:
    > >
    > > If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock

    resets
    > > from EDT to EST,
    > > can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    > > $WAIT 01:10:00
    > > in it, then
    > > $@whatever.com
    > >
    > > In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    > Not quite the way you wrote it. Absolute times execute when the

    clock
    > gets to, or passes (if the clock is changed) the time specified.

    Delta
    > times get massaged when the clock is changed so that the elapsed time

    is
    > preserved.
    >
    > So when you submit/after=1:55, then change time from 2:00 to 1:00,
    > the following will happen.
    >
    > The job starts at 1:55 EDT. It hits the wait statement. In 10
    > minutes the time will be 1:05 EST. You're wait statement needs to
    > be
    >
    > $WAIT 00:10:00.

    So in the Spring, this also works to execute five minutes AFTER the time
    is
    corrected?

  2. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    On Oct 29, 9:36*am, norm.raph...@metso.com wrote:
    > koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote on 10/29/2008
    > 09:52:36 AM:
    >

    > > In article > > 0071A...@metso.com>, norm.raph...@metso.com writes:

    > > > If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock

    > resets
    > > > from EDT to EST,
    > > > can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    > > > $WAIT 01:10:00
    > > > in it, then
    > > > $...@whatever.com

    > > > In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    > > * *Not quite the way you wrote it. *Absolute times execute when the

    > clock
    > > * *gets to, or passes (if the clock is changed) the time specified.

    > Delta
    > > * *times get massaged when the clock is changed so that the elapsedtime

    > is
    > > * *preserved.

    > > * *So when you submit/after=1:55, then change time from 2:00 to 1:00,
    > > * *the following will happen.

    > > * *The job starts at 1:55 EDT. *It hits the wait statement. *In10
    > > * *minutes the time will be 1:05 EST. *You're wait statement needs to
    > > * *be

    > > * *$WAIT 00:10:00.

    > So in the Spring, this also works to execute five minutes AFTER the time
    > is
    > corrected?- Hide quoted text -

    If you want to sync with the time change, you can use this:

    http://www.openvms.compaq.com/doc/83...27pro_109.html

  3. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    In article , norm.raphael@metso.com writes:

    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote on 10/29/2008
    > 09:52:36 AM:
    >
    >> In article >> 0071A2FC@metso.com>, norm.raphael@metso.com writes:
    >> >
    >> > If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock

    > resets
    >> > from EDT to EST,
    >> > can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    >> > $WAIT 01:10:00
    >> > in it, then
    >> > $@whatever.com
    >> >
    >> > In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    >> Not quite the way you wrote it. Absolute times execute when the

    > clock
    >> gets to, or passes (if the clock is changed) the time specified.

    > Delta
    >> times get massaged when the clock is changed so that the elapsed time

    > is
    >> preserved.
    >>
    >> So when you submit/after=1:55, then change time from 2:00 to 1:00,
    >> the following will happen.
    >>
    >> The job starts at 1:55 EDT. It hits the wait statement. In 10
    >> minutes the time will be 1:05 EST. You're wait statement needs to
    >> be
    >>
    >> $WAIT 00:10:00.
    >>

    > So in the Spring, this also works to execute five minutes AFTER the time
    > is
    > corrected?

    The concept is always the same, but in the spring the result is that
    the absolute time after the wait statement will be 3:05 EDT, which is
    unique and you can just set that as the /after time on the submit
    command.

+ Reply to Thread