Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available - VMS

This is a discussion on Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available - VMS ; From OpenVMS.ORG http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/24/9322255 I may try to get this downloaded this weekend to try. Has anyone used it or the previous itanium port yet?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    From OpenVMS.ORG

    http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/24/9322255

    I may try to get this downloaded this weekend to try. Has anyone used
    it or the previous itanium port yet?

  2. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article ,
    Rich Jordan wrote:
    >From OpenVMS.ORG
    >
    >http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/24/9322255

    Thanks for the heads-up.

    >I may try to get this downloaded this weekend to try. Has anyone used
    >it or the previous itanium port yet?

    Please don't take my word as gospel, since I seem to be the only person in the
    known VMS universe that has this problem, but neither Mozilla *nor* seamonkey
    work for me.

    To SMS - "work" means a working display. DECW$CLOCK and DecWindows terminals
    (and all the other DECW "stuff") work fine, but Mozilla/Seamonkey either hangs
    or ACCVIO's. I've detailed my woes on ITRC, and even had HP's help. Their
    final verdict - create a fresh system disk from scratch.

    Since nothing else (even other open-source apps) fails, I'm a little
    hesitant to rebuild from scratch.

    Other than that, I'm sure it's a fine product, and kudos to VMS Engineering for
    porting it. I guess I'll just have to admire it from afar. :-)

  3. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    On Oct 29, 6:43*am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > From OpenVMS.ORG
    >
    > http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/24/9322255
    >
    > I may try to get this downloaded this weekend to try. *Has anyone used
    > it or the previous itanium port yet?

    I installed it on Monday and haven't had any issues with it.
    It seems to have a few less memory leaks than the last
    version and may even be a bit faster (no empirical data to
    support that - just a feel).
    This is on Alpha... VMS V8.3

    Dave

  4. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    I'm running it on AXP 8.3 on a PWS600au. It's definitely snappier than
    Mozilla was. So far, absolutely no problems.

    At 05:41 PM 10/28/2008, David B Sneddon wrote:
    >On Oct 29, 6:43 am, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > > From OpenVMS.ORG
    > >
    > > http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/24/9322255
    > >
    > > I may try to get this downloaded this weekend to try. Has anyone used
    > > it or the previous itanium port yet?

    >I installed it on Monday and haven't had any issues with it.
    >It seems to have a few less memory leaks than the last
    >version and may even be a bit faster (no empirical data to
    >support that - just a feel).
    >This is on Alpha... VMS V8.3
    >
    >Dave

    ------
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |

  5. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Brad Hamilton wrote:
    > but Mozilla/Seamonkey either hangs
    > or ACCVIO's. I've detailed my woes on ITRC, and even had HP's help. Their

    You need about 1 gig of PGFLQUOTA (and matching pagefile.sys file). And
    grant yourself excessive quotas.

    Here is what I had given myself:

    Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 300 Bytlm: 100000
    Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 50 JTquota: 4096
    Prclm: 20 DIOlm: 50 WSdef: 600
    Prio: 4 ASTlm: 100 WSquo: 20000
    Queprio: 0 TQElm: 50 WSextent: 84000
    CPU: (none) Enqlm: 300 Pgflquo: 500000

    You also want to turn on OPCOM and monitor all the illegal file accesses
    in SYS$SYSTEM that it will try to do. Make sure you NEVER ever use
    Mozilla/Seamonkey with privileges on because it will change protection
    on many SYS$SYSTEM files and make the app will fail again.

    All of the mozilla specific files in sys$system (and below) should be
    w:re only, no ability to write or delete.).

    It helps to not have a home page. And you probably wanty to have a clean
    sys$login: (from the moailla directories) so that it gets recreated from
    scratch.

  6. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article <4907a8e2$0$9651$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    >Brad Hamilton wrote:
    >> but Mozilla/Seamonkey either hangs
    >> or ACCVIO's. I've detailed my woes on ITRC, and even had HP's help. Their

    >You need about 1 gig of PGFLQUOTA (and matching pagefile.sys file). And
    >grant yourself excessive quotas.
    >
    >Here is what I had given myself:
    >
    >Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 300 Bytlm: 100000
    >Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    >Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 50 JTquota: 4096
    >Prclm: 20 DIOlm: 50 WSdef: 600
    >Prio: 4 ASTlm: 100 WSquo: 20000
    >Queprio: 0 TQElm: 50 WSextent: 84000
    >CPU: (none) Enqlm: 300 Pgflquo: 500000

    Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 4095 Bytlm: 1122030
    Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 4095 JTquota: 4096
    Prclm: 10 DIOlm: 12285 WSdef: 393216
    Prio: 4 ASTlm: 12385 WSquo: 393216
    Queprio: 0 TQElm: 100 WSextent: 393216
    CPU: (none) Enqlm: 4096 Pgflquo: 3145728
    Ha, Ha...mine's bigger than yours...:-), except for PRCLM...

    >You also want to turn on OPCOM and monitor all the illegal file accesses
    >in SYS$SYSTEM that it will try to do. Make sure you NEVER ever use
    >Mozilla/Seamonkey with privileges on because it will change protection
    >on many SYS$SYSTEM files and make the app will fail again.

    OPCOM gives no such messages...however, I'm worried about the second sentence -
    I use Seamonkey with privs. What files get their protections changed?

    >All of the mozilla specific files in sys$system (and below) should be
    >w:re only, no ability to write or delete.).
    >
    >It helps to not have a home page. And you probably wanty to have a clean
    >sys$login: (from the moailla directories) so that it gets recreated from
    >scratch.

    OK - here's what's been happening, a couple of hours since my initial post:

    Environment: PWS433au, 768GB memory, VMS 8.3, TCPware V5.8-2

    Seamonkey "works" every fourth or fifth invocation; all other invocations
    create ACCVIO's, all seeming to center around the GTK files.

    Once I get a "working" display, any attempt to change the "home page" using the
    Preferences menu either results in "nothing" (the OK button can be pressed, but
    the Preferences pane does not disappear) or an ACCVIO. Attempting to access
    mail results in the same "nothing" as above (but no ACCVIO's).

    Attempting to access Seamonkey from a completely non-priv'ed account results in
    ACCVIO's, every time.

    Now of course, this is *much* better than Mozilla, which would do nothing but
    hang without creating a display, but I suspect that the GTK or Porting
    libraries that came with that version of Mozilla were somehow incomplete.

    Even if I could get Seamonkey working reliably, I am not impressed with the
    response - it is little better than Netscape V3.03 (which "works", after a
    fashion, but the mail component is flaky, at best).

    All that being said, I'm still pretty sure that I am "snake-bit", seeing the
    luck after a reboot.

  7. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Brad Hamilton wrote:

    > Attempting to access Seamonkey from a completely
    > non-priv'ed account...

    You have read in the docs about priv'ed v.s. non-priv'ed
    accounts for running this software, right ?

  8. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article <_MONk.3640$U5.23823@newsb.telia.net>, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >Brad Hamilton wrote:
    >
    >> Attempting to access Seamonkey from a completely
    >> non-priv'ed account...

    >You have read in the docs about priv'ed v.s. non-priv'ed
    >accounts for running this software, right ?

    Yes, but the illustration in the _Release Notes_ does not match the footprint
    of the ACCVIO's from a non-priv'ed account (and yes, COMPREG.DAT has the proper
    file protection, as do all the other CSWB files).

    There seem to be very few changes in the Release Notes since the move from
    Mozilla to Seamonkey.

    If I can't get it working reliably in the near future, I may submit feedback to
    the team, but of course, I'm hampered by the fact that I'm a hobbyist. That
    fact did *not* stop HP from attempting to help me when I had problems with
    Mozilla, but I can't very well expect them to spend a lot of time on an obvious
    "corner case" like mine. Seamonkey is a "nice to have" feature of VMS, but as
    many of us know, it's not mission-critical, and is actually out of scope for
    the mission of selling VMS as a "back-end", off-the-desktop server.

  9. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    On 2008.10.29. 12:08, Brad Hamilton wrote:
    > In article<4907a8e2$0$9651$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Brad Hamilton wrote:
    >>> but Mozilla/Seamonkey either hangs
    >>> or ACCVIO's. I've detailed my woes on ITRC, and even had HP's help. Their

    >> You need about 1 gig of PGFLQUOTA (and matching pagefile.sys file). And
    >> grant yourself excessive quotas.
    >>
    >> Here is what I had given myself:
    >>
    >> Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 300 Bytlm: 100000
    >> Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    >> Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 50 JTquota: 4096
    >> Prclm: 20 DIOlm: 50 WSdef: 600
    >> Prio: 4 ASTlm: 100 WSquo: 20000
    >> Queprio: 0 TQElm: 50 WSextent: 84000
    >> CPU: (none) Enqlm: 300 Pgflquo: 500000

    > Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 4095 Bytlm: 1122030
    > Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    > Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 4095 JTquota: 4096
    > Prclm: 10 DIOlm: 12285 WSdef: 393216
    > Prio: 4 ASTlm: 12385 WSquo: 393216
    > Queprio: 0 TQElm: 100 WSextent: 393216
    > CPU: (none) Enqlm: 4096 Pgflquo: 3145728
    > Ha, Ha...mine's bigger than yours...:-), except for PRCLM...
    >
    >> You also want to turn on OPCOM and monitor all the illegal file accesses
    >> in SYS$SYSTEM that it will try to do. Make sure you NEVER ever use
    >> Mozilla/Seamonkey with privileges on because it will change protection
    >> on many SYS$SYSTEM files and make the app will fail again.

    > OPCOM gives no such messages...however, I'm worried about the second sentence -
    > I use Seamonkey with privs. What files get their protections changed?
    >
    >> All of the mozilla specific files in sys$system (and below) should be
    >> w:re only, no ability to write or delete.).
    >>
    >> It helps to not have a home page. And you probably wanty to have a clean
    >> sys$login: (from the moailla directories) so that it gets recreated from
    >> scratch.

    > OK - here's what's been happening, a couple of hours since my initial post:
    >
    > Environment: PWS433au, 768GB memory, VMS 8.3, TCPware V5.8-2

    ^^^^

    Nice :-) No need for hard disk, then :-)

    Cheers, Csaba

    |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| http://csabaharangozo.blogspot.com
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    Giraffiti: Vandalism spray painted very, very high.

  10. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Brad Hamilton wrote:
    > OPCOM gives no such messages...however, I'm worried about the second sentence -
    > I use Seamonkey with privs. What files get their protections changed?

    I had documented this on comp.os.vms about 2 years ago when I got
    mozilla working. BAsically, when you have privileges, it changes some
    files in/under SYS$SYSTEM instead of creating one under your own
    SYS$LOGIN (in the mosilla subdirectory structure).

    You need to set all the mozilla/seamonkey related files in/under
    sys$system and sys$library (if I remember correctly) to be w:re only,
    and make sure they are owned by system or some other account, and not
    your own.

    For mozilla, the installation procedure was fine to get the middleware
    like GTK.

    Where I never got a reliable system is with regards to java under
    mozilla. But one probably needs 10 times more memory to get java to run
    under mozilla.

    [update]

    ok, for mozilla, it was in vms$common.cswb.... where some of the files
    were being changed. (there are lots of .so files in there).

  11. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Use the Itanium version regularly with no problems - web browsing and
    mail work fine and it appears to be a lot more stable than the mozilla
    build proceeding it.

    Mark.

  12. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article <4907e46d$1@news.comindico.com.au>, Phaeton wrote:
    >On 2008.10.29. 12:08, Brad Hamilton wrote:

    [...]
    >> Environment: PWS433au, 768GB memory, VMS 8.3, TCPware V5.8-2

    > ^^^^
    >
    > Nice :-) No need for hard disk, then :-)

    Uh-oh, time to put me out to pasture...768 MB, of course. :-)
    [...]

  13. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    On 29 Oct, 00:01, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Brad Hamilton wrote:
    > > but Mozilla/Seamonkey either hangs
    > > or ACCVIO's. *I've detailed my woes on ITRC, and even had HP's help. *Their

    > You need about 1 gig of PGFLQUOTA (and matching pagefile.sys file). And
    > grant yourself excessive quotas.
    >
    > Here is what I had given myself:
    >
    > Maxjobs: * * * * 0 *Fillm: * * * 300 *Bytlm: * * * 100000
    > Maxacctjobs: * * 0 *Shrfillm: * * *0 *Pbytlm: * * * * * 0
    > Maxdetach: * * * 0 *BIOlm: * * * *50 *JTquota: * * * 4096
    > Prclm: * * * * *20 *DIOlm: * * * *50 *WSdef: * * * * *600
    > Prio: * * * * * *4 *ASTlm: * * * 100 *WSquo: * * * *20000
    > Queprio: * * * * 0 *TQElm: * * * *50 *WSextent: * * 84000
    > CPU: * * * *(none) *Enqlm: * * * 300 *Pgflquo: * * 500000
    >
    > You also want to turn on OPCOM and monitor all the illegal file accesses
    > in SYS$SYSTEM that it will try to do. Make sure you NEVER ever use
    > Mozilla/Seamonkey with privileges on because it will change protection
    > on many SYS$SYSTEM files and make the app will fail again.
    >
    > All of the mozilla specific files in sys$system (and below) should be
    > w:re only, no ability to write or delete.).
    >
    > It helps to not have a home page. And you probably wanty to have a clean
    > sys$login: (from the moailla directories) so that it gets recreated from
    > scratch.

    Along with others here, I'm a bit concerned that you should need to
    have a non-priv'ed account in order to stop the application changing
    things for itself and screwing with the system. This is, after all, a
    VMS port - not a Unix port or Windows port. VMS stuff works and
    doesn't shoot itself in the foot.
    Changing file protections/ownership really means that the application
    will ONLY get used by hobbyists in my view as I couldn't risk it in a
    production environment on the possibility that someone might run it
    from a priv'ed account in error.

    Steve

  14. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > Along with others here, I'm a bit concerned that you should need to
    > have a non-priv'ed account in order to stop the application changing
    > things for itself and screwing with the system. This is, after all, a
    > VMS port - not a Unix port or Windows port. VMS stuff works and
    > doesn't shoot itself in the foot.
    > Changing file protections/ownership really means that the application
    > will ONLY get used by hobbyists in my view as I couldn't risk it in a
    > production environment on the possibility that someone might run it
    > from a priv'ed account in error.

    I've never noticed any problems. I have run Mozilla on both Alpha and
    I64 with privs. My account has everything but BYPASS enabled by
    default. It also has all quota set to *excessive* amounts. I've never
    noticed it messing anything up.

    I did try running the new SeaMonkey port on my Itanium and found it
    didn't cope with my mail files very well. I did a backup of my
    [._MOZILLA] directory before I installed it (just in case :-) and
    it came in at 1.75GB. That's roughly six years worth of mail, or at
    least the crap I bothered to keep. When I tried looking at some of
    the larger folders it didn't want to play. I tried figuring it out,
    but gave up and went back to Mozilla. Now everything is fine again :-)

    I didn't notice a performance increase. If anything, it got worse
    in some areas :-(

    Tim.

  15. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article ,
    "Tim E. Sneddon" writes:
    > etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >> Along with others here, I'm a bit concerned that you should need to
    >> have a non-priv'ed account in order to stop the application changing
    >> things for itself and screwing with the system. This is, after all, a
    >> VMS port - not a Unix port or Windows port. VMS stuff works and
    >> doesn't shoot itself in the foot.
    >> Changing file protections/ownership really means that the application
    >> will ONLY get used by hobbyists in my view as I couldn't risk it in a
    >> production environment on the possibility that someone might run it
    >> from a priv'ed account in error.
    >>

    > I've never noticed any problems. I have run Mozilla on both Alpha and
    > I64 with privs. My account has everything but BYPASS enabled by
    > default. It also has all quota set to *excessive* amounts. I've never
    > noticed it messing anything up.

    The way I understand it, it isn't that it messes things up as much
    the pssobility that it could. In a production environment, how many
    times can a program mess things up before it's too many?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  16. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Found my original post on the subject of file protections:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....cebfe78cc06f6e

    I had noticed it due to chrome.rdf file in the .cswb tree. If you used
    a privileged account, it would recreate that file in the common
    directory with protections that would not let unprivileged users access it.

    This was for mozilla. Not sure this is still applicable to Seamonkey. It
    was a known bug in the mozilla code, but the impact was not noticed on
    single user platforms or platforms with bad security.

    BTW, this was my mozilla.com startup procedure:

    $set proc/name=MOZILLA
    $set broadcast=none
    $set proc/parse_type=extended
    $ DEFINE/job DECC$EFS_CHARSET ENABLE
    $ DEFINE/JOB DECC$EFS_CASE_SPECIAL "ENABLE"
    $ DEFINE/JOB DECC$EFS_CASE_PRESERVE "ENABLE"
    $@sys$common:[CSWB]MOZILLA.COM

  17. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article <4908a209$0$3358$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    >Found my original post on the subject of file protections:
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/group/comp....thread/thread/
    >702c085ab976f497/3dcebfe78cc06f6e?hl=xx-elmer&lnk=st&q=#3dcebfe78cc06f6e
    >
    >I had noticed it due to chrome.rdf file in the .cswb tree. If you used
    >a privileged account, it would recreate that file in the common
    >directory with protections that would not let unprivileged users access it.

    Luckily, I don't see this problem in Seamonkey.

    Seamonkey works better for me today, after the nightly reboot. All I really
    want to do with it is to play with Mail and Newsgroups. I'm going to attempt
    to find out how to invoke *only* the mail program, since the browser, although
    more stable than yesterday, is *slow*.
    [...]

  18. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Brad Hamilton wrote:

    > want to do with it is to play with Mail and Newsgroups. I'm going to attempt
    > to find out how to invoke *only* the mail program, since the browser, although
    > more stable than yesterday, is *slow*.
    > [...]

    With Mozilla, this is in the preferences panels where you specify what
    window you want to begin with. ( mail&newsgroup or navigator/browser)

  19. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article , Rich Jordan writes:
    > From OpenVMS.ORG
    >
    > http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/24/9322255
    >
    > I may try to get this downloaded this weekend to try. Has anyone used
    > it or the previous itanium port yet?

    Cool !! Just installed it on my DS20E/VMS7.3-2 at work. Some sites undisplayed
    with mozilla are now OK. Good job HP !!

    I'll try it on my home DS15A/VMS 8.3 soon.

    Patrick
    patrick.moreau@aviation-civile.gouv.fr
    DSNA/DTI/EOS (ex SDER/CENA) ______ ___ _
    Pôle XPE / / / / /| /|
    Athis-Mons France / /___/ / / | / | __ __ __ __
    BP 205 / / / / |/ | | | |__| |__ |__| | |
    94542 ORLY AEROGARE CEDEX / / :: / / | |__| | \ |__ | | |__|
    http://www.ath.cena.fr/~pmoreau/ http://membres.lycos.fr/pmoreau/

  20. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    On 2008-10-30 03:03, "Brad Hamilton" wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > Seamonkey works better for me today, after the nightly reboot. All I really
    > want to do with it is to play with Mail and Newsgroups. I'm going to attempt
    > to find out how to invoke *only* the mail program, since the browser, although
    > more stable than yesterday, is *slow*.
    > [...]

    The Windows version has a command line switch "-mail" -- you might try
    that on VMS as well ...

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast