Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available - VMS

This is a discussion on Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available - VMS ; In article , JF Mezei wrote: >Brad Hamilton wrote: > >> want to do with it is to play with Mail and Newsgroups. I'm going to attempt >> to find out how to invoke *only* the mail program, since the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article <49093611$0$2092$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    >Brad Hamilton wrote:
    >
    >> want to do with it is to play with Mail and Newsgroups. I'm going to attempt
    >> to find out how to invoke *only* the mail program, since the browser, although
    >> more stable than yesterday, is *slow*.
    >> [...]

    >With Mozilla, this is in the preferences panels where you specify what
    >window you want to begin with. ( mail&newsgroup or navigator/browser)

    Thanks - it's been years since I used Mozilla. This works fine; now to try to
    actually configure a couple of newsgroups...

  2. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    In article <6mu80qFip6mnU1@mid.individual.net>, Michael Unger wrote:
    >On 2008-10-30 03:03, "Brad Hamilton" wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Seamonkey works better for me today, after the nightly reboot. All I really
    >> want to do with it is to play with Mail and Newsgroups. I'm going to attempt
    >> to find out how to invoke *only* the mail program, since the browser, although
    >> more stable than yesterday, is *slow*.
    >> [...]

    >The Windows version has a command line switch "-mail" -- you might try
    >that on VMS as well ...

    Yes, I tried that after visiting the Seamonkey website - unfortunately, it
    doesn't work on VMS. See JF's previous reply for the proper method of invoking
    Mail & Newsgroups at Seamonkey startup.

    Thanks anyway.
    [...]

  3. Re: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    I've installed Seamonkey under VMS 8.3 at home. I backuped my profile (_MOZILLA
    directory) and the old SYS$COMMON:[CSWB] directory to be able to use the "old"
    Mozilla (1.7-3).

    First try without installing the images with @SSYS$COMMON:[CSWB]INSTALL (and
    with old images desinstalled after a reboot, I like clean systems before a try).

    Navigator OK, but Mail and News not (folders not displaying, etc ...).

    After installing images, all seems OK now, Seamonkey is quota hungry :-).

    Only problem (not really), mail is rather slow and seems to trash the disk each
    time you read a mail (and I have fast disk, a 72 Gb U160). I suppose its some
    debug mode active in the test version. I suppose it wil be ok in the official
    version.

    Otherwise, its great.

    Thanks HP folks !!

    Patrick
    patrick.moreau@aviation-civile.gouv.fr
    DSNA/DTI/EOS (ex SDER/CENA) ______ ___ _
    Pôle XPE / / / / /| /|
    Athis-Mons France / /___/ / / | / | __ __ __ __
    BP 205 / / / / |/ | | | |__| |__ |__| | |
    94542 ORLY AEROGARE CEDEX / / :: / / | |__| | \ |__ | | |__|
    http://www.ath.cena.fr/~pmoreau/ http://membres.lycos.fr/pmoreau/

  4. RE: Seamonkey browser port for Alpha now available

    Fwiw, and I am not sure if this is the case with Seamonkey beta, but in
    most cases beta sw is loaded with debug code that makes the overall
    performance slower. Focus is usually first on functionality and then
    performance later in the beta cycle (close to prod).

    Hence, one always needs to take testing of beta SW of any SW product for
    performance comparisons with a grain of salt as they say.

    Reminds me of the Word version Microsoft created for the Alpha NT
    Platform many moons ago. It was quite a bit faster than the equivalent
    X86 prod with Word on it at the time, so that was seen as a good
    thing.

    Yes, it was good, but Microsoft never removed the debug code from the
    Prod release of the Word on Alpha NT prod, hence it was even better
    than what was perceived.[They never did release a Alpha NT Word version
    without the debug code loaded]

    Ah well ..

    Regards

    Kerry Main