DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35 - VMS

This is a discussion on DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35 - VMS ; Hi. I just setup a new queue against a "Xerox WCP 35". Or "Workcentre Pro 35" as it's also called, at least I *guess* that it's the same printer ! "Xerox WCP 35" is in the list of supported printers ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Hi.
    I just setup a new queue against a "Xerox WCP 35".
    Or "Workcentre Pro 35" as it's also called, at least
    I *guess* that it's the same printer !

    "Xerox WCP 35" is in the list of supported printers
    in the DCPS management manual.

    When printing (a text file printed as "ANSI") we get
    an Postscript error from the printer. It's a page
    with only the following text printed :

    > ERROR: rangecheck
    > OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice
    > STACK: --dict--,

    Nothing else on the page and nothing after the ending ",".

    The DCPS$xxx_PRODUCT_NAME logical is def as "Xerox WCP 35".
    (But it didn't make any change when defined...)

    And the DCPS$xxx_PARAMETER is def as "DATA_TYPE=ANSI".
    (Didn't change anything either...)

    Now, while looking for solutions I thought I'd post
    a question here about it also at the same time. In case
    someone else has seen this before...

    Best Regards
    Jan-Erik.

  2. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I just setup a new queue against a "Xerox WCP 35".
    > Or "Workcentre Pro 35" as it's also called, at least
    > I *guess* that it's the same printer !
    >
    > "Xerox WCP 35" is in the list of supported printers
    > in the DCPS management manual.
    >
    > When printing (a text file printed as "ANSI") we get
    > an Postscript error from the printer. It's a page
    > with only the following text printed :
    >
    > > ERROR: rangecheck
    > > OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice
    > > STACK: --dict--,

    > Nothing else on the page and nothing after the ending ",".
    >
    > The DCPS$xxx_PRODUCT_NAME logical is def as "Xerox WCP 35".
    > (But it didn't make any change when defined...)
    >
    > And the DCPS$xxx_PARAMETER is def as "DATA_TYPE=ANSI".
    > (Didn't change anything either...)
    >
    > Now, while looking for solutions I thought I'd post
    > a question here about it also at the same time. In case
    > someone else has seen this before...
    >

    > Best Regards
    > Jan-Erik.

    I shold have added that we uses "IP_LPD/nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn" and
    DCPS$SPOOL is defined. Other IP_LPD printers works fine on the
    same system, including other Xerox printes, both running
    Postscript and PCL. This is the first "WCP 35" printer...

    Jan-Erik.

  3. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    In article ,
    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > I just setup a new queue against a "Xerox WCP 35". Or "Workcentre Pro
    > 35" as it's also called, at least I *guess* that it's the same
    > printer !

    Yes, the "Xerox WCP 35" (PostScript product name) is the Xerox
    WorkCentre Pro 35 (marketing name), and is supported by DCPS V2.5 and
    later. What version of DCPS are you running? (DCPS V2.6 ECO 3 is
    current.)

    Your definitions of DCPS$queuename_PRODUCT_NAME and DCPS$SPOOL appear
    correct. Did you start the queue after defining the PRODUCT_NAME
    logical name?

    Do you get any OPCOM messages at the start of the queue or job? If the
    printer is somehow not recognized by DCPS, you'd get an OPCOM message
    saying so.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  4. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Paul Anderson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> I just setup a new queue against a "Xerox WCP 35". Or "Workcentre Pro
    >> 35" as it's also called, at least I *guess* that it's the same
    >> printer !

    > Yes, the "Xerox WCP 35" (PostScript product name) is the Xerox
    > WorkCentre Pro 35 (marketing name), and is supported by DCPS V2.5 and
    > later. What version of DCPS are you running? (DCPS V2.6 ECO 3 is
    > current.)

    "DCPS$VERSION" = "V2.6 ECO 3"

    > Your definitions of DCPS$queuename_PRODUCT_NAME and DCPS$SPOOL appear
    > correct. Did you start the queue after defining the PRODUCT_NAME
    > logical name?

    I think I did, several times. Or I at least made a stop/que
    and re-run the DCPS startup command file to make some changes
    to the queue. (And the changes *was* made to the queue...)

    > Do you get any OPCOM messages at the start of the queue or job?

    Nothing in operator.log, at least.

    Everything on VMS looks fine. No retained entry or anything.
    It's just the error message on the printer that is printed.
    I got a scanned copy of the message and has put it up here:

    http://www.jescab.se/upload/ps-message.pdf

    Below are the queue setup commands tried. Both are
    currently commented out since we had to back out
    to the old printer using a printserver and the
    standard LPD symbiont...

    $!
    $! ON ERROR THEN CONTINUE
    $! IF .NOT. SETUP_MODE THEN @SYS$STARTUPCPS$EXECUTION_QUEUE -
    $! GODSMOT_TL - ! P1
    $! "IP_LPD/10.32.141.224" - ! P2
    $! DCPS_LIB - ! P3
    $! "DATA_TYPE=ANSI" - ! P4
    $! "/DEF=(form=DEF_CHAR_SW) /SEPARATE=(NOBURST,NOFLAG,NOTRAIL)"
    $! "" - ! P6
    $! "" - ! P7
    $! "" ! P8
    $!
    $!
    $! ON ERROR THEN CONTINUE
    $! IF .NOT. SETUP_MODE THEN @SYS$STARTUPCPS$EXECUTION_QUEUE -
    $! GODSMOT_TL - ! P1
    $! "IP_LPD/10.32.141.224" - ! P2
    $! DCPS_LIB - ! P3
    $! "DATA_TYPE=PCL" - ! P4
    $! "/DEF=(form=SET_ISO11) /SEPARATE=(NOBURST,NOFLAG,NOTRAIL)"
    $! "" - ! P6
    $! "" - ! P7
    $! "" ! P8
    $!

    I've tried both ANSI and PCL (both are used on others
    Xerox printers and works). DEF_CHAR_SW is a module
    with an ANSI charset sequence. SET_ISO11 is a module
    with a PCL charset command (not realy needed since in
    that case it's included in the print-stream from the
    application).

    Many thanks for your time !
    Jan-Erik.

    > If the
    > printer is somehow not recognized by DCPS, you'd get an OPCOM message
    > saying so.
    >
    > Paul

  5. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > > ERROR: rangecheck
    > > OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice
    > > STACK: --dict--,

    setpagedevice is one of the commands that accept a dictionary (think of
    a dictionary as an array of variables) where each variable is printer
    specific (although there are common ones).

    So that error would indicate that one of the variables in the dictionary
    would have a value invalid for that printer (rangecheck). For instance,
    if that printer is only able to have 8*10 paper and you are asking it to
    rasterize on 11*17).

    The following info came from Paul Anderson some time ago:
    --------------------------
    A DCPS "diag" file helps diagnose the communication between the OpenVMS
    system and the printer.

    To create a DCPS diag file, define this logical name:

    $ DEFINE /EXECUTIVE_MODE /SYSTEM DCPS$TEST 1

    and then stop and start the DCPS queue(s).

    Print with the following command:

    $ PRINT /NOTIFY /PARAMETERS=(your_parameters,DIAG=FILE=BOTH) file

    Diag files contain all data sent between the host and the printer in
    files called:

    SYS$LOGINCPS$JOB_entry_DIAG_FROM.LOG
    SYS$LOGINCPS$JOB_entry_DIAG_TO.LOG

    Diag files contain all print data information, so be cautious if the
    files being printed contain confidential information.

    --------------------------------

    So print something simple that generates the error message. Then look at
    the log files (won't be pretty because the VMS engineers purposefully
    stripped comments and formatting of the postscript code to make it ugly
    to spite *me* :-) and you may get an idea of the parameters being passed
    to setpagedevice and then check against the printer manual to see which
    one would cause the rangecheck.

    Since the job aborts at the setpagedevice command, this should be
    towards the end of the job (but DCPS is likely to send a "reset" group
    of commands at the end of the job).

  6. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> > ERROR: rangecheck
    >> > OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice
    >> > STACK: --dict--,

    > setpagedevice is one of the commands that accept a dictionary (think of
    > a dictionary as an array of variables) where each variable is printer
    > specific (although there are common ones).
    >
    > So that error would indicate that one of the variables in the dictionary
    > would have a value invalid for that printer (rangecheck). For instance,
    > if that printer is only able to have 8*10 paper and you are asking it to
    > rasterize on 11*17).

    All printing over here is in A4.

    $ sh log dcps$sheet_size
    "DCPS$SHEET_SIZE" = "A4" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

    > The following info came from Paul Anderson some time ago:
    > --------------------------
    > A DCPS "diag" file helps diagnose the communication between the OpenVMS
    > system and the printer.
    >
    > To create a DCPS diag file, define this logical name:
    >
    > $ DEFINE /EXECUTIVE_MODE /SYSTEM DCPS$TEST 1
    >
    > and then stop and start the DCPS queue(s).
    >
    > Print with the following command:
    >
    > $ PRINT /NOTIFY /PARAMETERS=(your_parameters,DIAG=FILE=BOTH) file
    >
    > Diag files contain all data sent between the host and the printer in
    > files called:
    >
    > SYS$LOGINCPS$JOB_entry_DIAG_FROM.LOG
    > SYS$LOGINCPS$JOB_entry_DIAG_TO.LOG
    >
    > Diag files contain all print data information, so be cautious if the
    > files being printed contain confidential information.
    >
    > --------------------------------
    >

    > So print something simple that generates the error message. Then look at
    > the log files (won't be pretty because the VMS engineers purposefully
    > stripped comments and formatting of the postscript code to make it ugly
    > to spite *me* :-) and you may get an idea of the parameters being passed
    > to setpagedevice and then check against the printer manual to see which
    > one would cause the rangecheck.
    >

    > Since the job aborts at the setpagedevice command, this should be
    > towards the end of the job (but DCPS is likely to send a "reset" group
    > of commands at the end of the job).

    I didn't know about the DCPS$TEST logical !
    (And it's not in the manuals...)

    > and then stop and start the DCPS queue(s).

    I guess that it's enough to re-start the offending queue ?
    All queues are running it's own DCPS symbiont (so far).

    I'll try that romorrow morning on the actual site.

    Many thanks for that one !

    Jan-Erik.

  7. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Here is snippet of one example of the setpagedevice (taken from an
    LPS$$HPCLJ9500_INITPSDEVICE)

    ----
    lps$lpsdict
    begin/lps$systemdict 1 dict def/lps$current-size{save 3 dict
    begin/N/lettertray def currentpagedevice/PageSize get aload pop 2 copy
    gt{exch}if/Y exch def/X exch def mark/11x17tray 792 1224/a3tray 842
    1191/a4tray 595 842/a5tray 420 595/b5tray 499 709/c5envelopetray 459
    649/com10envelopetray 297 684/dlenvelopetray 312 624/doublepostcardtray 420
    567/executivetray 522 756/jb4tray 729 1032/jb5tray 516 729/legaltray 612
    1008/lettertray 612 792/monarcenvelopetray 279 540 counttomark 3 idiv{Y sub
    abs 5 le exch X sub abs 5 le and{/N exch def exit}if pop}repeat cleartomark
    N exch end restore}def/3.875x7.5tray/monarcenvelopetray
    def/4.125x9.5tray/com10envelopetray def/b4tray/jb4tray def/b5tray/jb5tray
    def/c5tray/c5envelopetray def/dltray/dlenvelopetray
    def<>>>setpagedevice
    ----

    lps$lpsdict begin -> starts a named dictionary

    /lps$systemdict 1 dict def -> creates a dictionary with space for one
    variable and its value.
    { and } enclose multiple commands to create a single object.

    /variable_name is used to define the variable.

    /variable value def -> a specific value set to a variable

    mark (or <<) /variable value /variable value /variable value >> will
    create a dictionary on the stack and define all those variables with
    those values.

    so in the above example, setpage device is given a dictionary (the
    outermost >>) which contains another dictionary inside the innermost >>)

    It is a real shame that the VMS engineers ran some program to
    purposefully make that code difficult to read.

  8. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    OK, I installed DCPS 2.6 and ECO3 on my alpha.

    The LPS$$XEROXWCP modules don't contain a setpagedevice in the INITPSDEVICE

    But it contains them in other modules such as:

    LPS$$XEROXWCP_SETINPUTTRAY
    LPS$$XEROXWCP_SETOUTPUTTRAY
    LPS$$XEROXWCP_SETSTAPLE

    The INITPSDEVIDE apperas to be setting up a dictionary, but not using
    setpagedevice to set it. Possibly done by the DCPS software itself
    outside of the library modules. Your logs of communications should show
    how this is being done.

  9. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > OK, I installed DCPS 2.6 and ECO3 on my alpha.
    >
    > The LPS$$XEROXWCP modules don't contain a setpagedevice in the INITPSDEVICE
    >
    > But it contains them in other modules such as:
    >
    > LPS$$XEROXWCP_SETINPUTTRAY
    > LPS$$XEROXWCP_SETOUTPUTTRAY
    > LPS$$XEROXWCP_SETSTAPLE

    Seems logical since it's an Xerox WCP printer we're using.

    > The INITPSDEVIDE apperas to be setting up a dictionary, but not using
    > setpagedevice to set it. Possibly done by the DCPS software itself
    > outside of the library modules. Your logs of communications should show
    > how this is being done.

    OK.
    I tried to fake using a "Xerox WCP 35" on my HP LJ 2015n
    office printer, by setting the product_name logical.

    Now I *do* get a DCPS$JOB_994_DIAG_TO.LOG file, but
    with no setpagedevice in it. Weird.

    When I did the same without the product_name logical, I
    get a LOG file with 4 or 5 setpagedevice in it. Weird.

    The DIAG_FROM logs are always empty, since IP_LPD is
    uni-directional, I guess.

    Note that this wasn't on the production system at the client
    site, but I would have expected the same output. V2.6 ECO3
    in both places.

    I'm lost... :-)

    Jan-Erik.

  10. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:54:22 GMT, Jan-Erik S?derholm wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I just setup a new queue against a "Xerox WCP 35".
    > Or "Workcentre Pro 35" as it's also called, at least
    > I *guess* that it's the same printer !

    > "Xerox WCP 35" is in the list of supported printers
    > in the DCPS management manual.

    > When printing (a text file printed as "ANSI") we get
    > an Postscript error from the printer. It's a page
    > with only the following text printed :

    > > ERROR: rangecheck
    > > OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice
    > > STACK: --dict--,

    > Nothing else on the page and nothing after the ending ",".

    > The DCPS$xxx_PRODUCT_NAME logical is def as "Xerox WCP 35".
    > (But it didn't make any change when defined...)

    > And the DCPS$xxx_PARAMETER is def as "DATA_TYPE=ANSI".
    > (Didn't change anything either...)

    > Now, while looking for solutions I thought I'd post
    > a question here about it also at the same time. In case
    > someone else has seen this before...

    I've read the rest of the thread, and I don't know the
    printer itself, so I just have some random thoughts on printers:

    1. The printer probably has a web interface that allows you
    to tweak settings. Are there relevant settings in the
    Postscript setup, for example, Postscript level accepted?

    2. You can probably get more detailed info about the error
    from the printer itself. I found one document on the
    Xerox site "Retrieving fault codes from Xerox multifunction
    devices".

    3. Is the printer set to autodetect whatever stream it receives
    (postscript, pcl, xerox printer language, straight ascii, ...)
    or is it set to expect only postscript? If only postscript,
    perchaps DCPS is sending non-postscript in this case (since
    you're printing PAR=(DATA=ANSI) ).

    4. You have other printers that work. Are there differences
    that stand out in the printer setup (comparing the setup
    shown on a working printer's web page versus the xerox's
    web page)?

    5. Does the Xerox printer have the latest software/firmware?
    (I have a Toshiba e-studio 35 coper with a plug-in module that
    allows use as a printer/scanner/fax, and I needed to get the
    latest firmware (an embedded Linux system) to get it to
    work with the various systems on our lan.)

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  11. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    In article ,
    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > I didn't know about the DCPS$TEST logical ! (And it's not in the
    > manuals...)

    Shhhh, it's a secret.

    > I guess that it's enough to re-start the offending queue ?

    Yes.

    > All queues are running it's own DCPS symbiont (so far).

    Having the logical name DCPS$MAX_STREAMS undefined or set to 1 helps in
    this case, since the DCPS$TEST logical name is interpreted when a new
    symbiont process starts. If a symbiont process can control more than
    one queue by having DCPS$MAX_STREAMS set to more than 1, you're not
    guaranteed of getting a new symbiont process when you start a queue.

    > I'll try that romorrow morning on the actual site.

    Since you're running spooled LPD to this printer, you can, instead of
    using DCPS$TEST, define the logical name DCPS$SPOOL_KEEP (or
    DCPS$queuename_SPOOL_KEEP) to be TRUE and then the temporary spool file
    created in DCPS$SPOOL_DIRECTORY will be kept after printing instead of
    being deleted. This file is the actual data being sent to the printer
    so it could be copied to another type of system and sent from there for
    debugging purposes.

    The queue does not have to be stopped or restarted after defining
    DCPS$SPOOL. And all these logical names should be defined
    /EXECUTIVE_MODE /SYSTEM.

    (The files created with the DCPS$TEST logical name contain some
    interpreted control characters; for example a ^T character would be the
    text string "Ctrl/T" in the file. That's easier to see but not to
    print.)

    Shhhh, that logical name is a secret too.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  12. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    On 2008-10-27 22:57, "JF Mezei" wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > mark (or <<) /variable value /variable value /variable value >> will
    > create a dictionary on the stack and define all those variables with
    > those values.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > It is a real shame that the VMS engineers ran some program to
    > purposefully make that code difficult to read.

    Not neccessarily -- there _is_ a simpler syntax to create dictionaries
    "on the fly", but this _requires_ a compliant "PostScript Level *2*"
    interpreter:

    | /NamedDictionary
    | << /Object1 Value1
    | /Object2 Value2
    | >> def

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

  13. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    In article <49063ada$0$12403$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    JF Mezei wrote:

    > It is a real shame that the VMS engineers ran some program to
    > purposefully make that code difficult to read.

    The PostScript code compression was done so that it could be sent faster
    over slow lines to the printer. These days I suspect that savings is
    unimportant.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  14. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Paul Anderson writes:
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    >> It is a real shame that the VMS engineers ran some program to
    >> purposefully make that code difficult to read.

    > The PostScript code compression was done so that it could be sent faster
    > over slow lines to the printer. These days I suspect that savings is
    > unimportant.
    >
    > Paul

    I think you should make that DCPS_DIET tool available for general use . . .

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  15. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    In article ,
    brooks@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:

    > I think you should make that DCPS_DIET tool available for general use . . .

    I just yelled at Rob for making this suggestion. But he's sometimes
    right about things, so I wonder if there's interest in having DCPS ship
    a "reference copy" of the DCPS library in an uncompressed, more readable
    form. I think we'd keep the existing library compressed in case someone
    needs some extra speed on their serially-attached LN03.

    The tool, by the way, is called PSCom and it was written by Ned
    Batchelder over twenty years ago. It does lots more stuff, like allow
    for conditional execution of code, via IF/ENDIF and INCLUDE statements,
    stripping of comments and (as noted) compression of PostScript code.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  16. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Paul Anderson wrote:

    > The tool, by the way, is called PSCom and it was written by Ned
    > Batchelder over twenty years ago. It does lots more stuff, like allow
    > for conditional execution of code, via IF/ENDIF and INCLUDE statements,
    > stripping of comments and (as noted) compression of PostScript code.

    I would find this *extremely* useful. I write code that takes a
    Postscript template file, "fills in the blanks", and sends it to the
    printer. Since I like my templates to be easy to read & modify,
    they get rather large. I think this will speed things up.

    Also, the IF/ENDIF functionality would make my life a lot easier.
    Can they be nested?

    Please make this tool available.

    Thanks,
    Alan

  17. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    In article , Paul Anderson writes:
    >In article ,
    > brooks@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:
    >
    >> I think you should make that DCPS_DIET tool available for general use . . .

    >I just yelled at Rob for making this suggestion. But he's sometimes
    >right about things, so I wonder if there's interest in having DCPS ship
    >a "reference copy" of the DCPS library in an uncompressed, more readable
    >form. I think we'd keep the existing library compressed in case someone
    >needs some extra speed on their serially-attached LN03.

    Mine is running over a 300baud pennywihistle.

    >The tool, by the way, is called PSCom and it was written by Ned
    >Batchelder over twenty years ago. It does lots more stuff, like allow
    >for conditional execution of code, via IF/ENDIF and INCLUDE statements,
    >stripping of comments and (as noted) compression of PostScript code.

    Please ship a refernece library. It would be quite useful and inform-
    ative.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  18. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Paul Anderson wrote:
    > so I wonder if there's interest in having DCPS ship
    > a "reference copy" of the DCPS library in an uncompressed, more readable
    > form.

    YES ! YES ! YES !

    Consider this current problem the user is having. Having human readable
    postcript code would greatly help debug such problems.

    I would personally prefer pure postscript (with the #IFDEF etc
    processed) so that it makes it easier to look at the actual postscript
    code and not have to guess what is really being sent to the printer.

  19. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Paul Anderson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't know about the DCPS$TEST logical ! (And it's not in the
    >> manuals...)

    > Shhhh, it's a secret.
    >
    >> I guess that it's enough to re-start the offending queue ?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> All queues are running it's own DCPS symbiont (so far).

    > Having the logical name DCPS$MAX_STREAMS undefined or set to 1 helps in
    > this case, since the DCPS$TEST logical name is interpreted when a new
    > symbiont process starts. If a symbiont process can control more than
    > one queue by having DCPS$MAX_STREAMS set to more than 1, you're not
    > guaranteed of getting a new symbiont process when you start a queue.
    >
    >> I'll try that romorrow morning on the actual site.

    > Since you're running spooled LPD to this printer, you can, instead of
    > using DCPS$TEST, define the logical name DCPS$SPOOL_KEEP (or
    > DCPS$queuename_SPOOL_KEEP) to be TRUE and then the temporary spool file
    > created in DCPS$SPOOL_DIRECTORY will be kept after printing instead of
    > being deleted. This file is the actual data being sent to the printer
    > so it could be copied to another type of system and sent from there for
    > debugging purposes.
    >
    > The queue does not have to be stopped or restarted after defining
    > DCPS$SPOOL. And all these logical names should be defined
    > /EXECUTIVE_MODE /SYSTEM.
    >
    > (The files created with the DCPS$TEST logical name contain some
    > interpreted control characters; for example a ^T character would be the
    > text string "Ctrl/T" in the file. That's easier to see but not to
    > print.)
    >
    > Shhhh, that logical name is a secret too.
    >
    > Paul

    OK. xxx_SPOOL_KEEP works OK.

    Just a question...

    If a DCPS queue is set to PCL by having "DATA_TYPE=PCL"
    in the DCPS$STARTUP file (and the DCPS$_PARAMETER
    logical is setup to "DATA_TYPE=PCL" just fine), does it
    still print some PS code to the printer ?

    I get a bunch of PS code in the spool file, and then :

    %-12345X@PJL
    @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL

    before the actual printout (which I want to be
    printed).

    When testing earlier this week I think we got the
    correct printout but also a couple of pages before
    and after it with plain PS code.

    I was think9ng that by running DCPS in "PCL-mode"
    one could use non-PS printers also. Maybe wrong...

    I also setup the queue to print PS (DATA_TYPE=ANSI)
    and now I get a PS-only spool file. The weired
    think is that I can not find any "setpagedevice"
    in the spool file created today. "setpagedevice"
    was what the printer barfed at on Tuesday...

    I have to wait for the on-site guy to return tomorrow
    morning to check what the printer actuals have printed.
    I'm 170 Km away from the site myself...

    Anyway, thanks for listening!

    Jan-Erik.

  20. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > If a DCPS queue is set to PCL by having "DATA_TYPE=PCL"
    > in the DCPS$STARTUP file (and the DCPS$_PARAMETER
    > logical is setup to "DATA_TYPE=PCL" just fine), does it
    > still print some PS code to the printer ?

    Perhaps Mr Anderson can confirm this, but my gut tells me that DCPS
    would send its own postscript code to setup the printer and get page
    count, then switch to PCL code to send your print file, and then switch
    back to postscript to get the new page count.

    > I also setup the queue to print PS (DATA_TYPE=ANSI)

    DATA_TYPE=ANSI invokes the ascii to postscript translator.
    DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT should pass your postscript to the printer
    untranslated. (but still with the DCPS header and footer).

    > and now I get a PS-only spool file. The weired
    > think is that I can not find any "setpagedevice"
    > in the spool file created today. "setpagedevice"
    > was what the printer barfed at on Tuesday...

    What was the person printing ?

    For instance, if I create some postcript job on my macintosh that is
    spooled via LPD to my alpha and then DCPS to the printer, the Mac
    generated postscript will have a complete setup by itself, including
    setpagedevice etc since the Mac will have likely used a .PPD file to
    read all the characteristics of the printer and know the valid setup
    commands.

    so, when sending to the printer, DCPS would send it own setup commands
    and then the original postscript file which would have various commands
    , including the setpagedevice to get the printer to act in the exact way
    that the Mac application wanted it to act.

    Now, if the user on a Mac were to pretend he had a fancy Linotype
    printer and use the linotype .PDD file, this would result in the Mac
    application generating poscript code which may cause the Xerox to barf
    at some of the printer-specific commands (such as setpagedevice).

    If the files to be printed are simple text files that are being
    translated to postscript by DCPS, then the faulty setpagedevice would
    come from DCPS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast