DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35 - VMS

This is a discussion on DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35 - VMS ; In article , Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote: > If a DCPS queue is set to PCL by having "DATA_TYPE=PCL" in the > DCPS$STARTUP file (and the DCPS$ _PARAMETER logical is setup to > "DATA_TYPE=PCL" just fine), does it still print some ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    In article ,
    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > If a DCPS queue is set to PCL by having "DATA_TYPE=PCL" in the
    > DCPS$STARTUP file (and the DCPS$_PARAMETER logical is setup to
    > "DATA_TYPE=PCL" just fine), does it still print some PS code to the
    > printer ?

    Yes.

    > I get a bunch of PS code in the spool file, and then :
    >
    > %-12345X@PJL
    > @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL
    >
    > before the actual printout (which I want to be printed).

    DCPS controls the print job with PostScript. If the user file is PCL,
    DCPS tells the printer to switch to PCL with the code you mentioned
    above. Then it will switch back to PostScript to finish the job.

    > I was think9ng that by running DCPS in "PCL-mode" one could use
    > non-PS printers also.

    You can't use DCPS with a printer that does not have PostScript.

    > I also setup the queue to print PS (DATA_TYPE=ANSI) and now I get a
    > PS-only spool file.

    Since the printer doesn't understand ANSI, DCPS translates your ANSI
    file to PostScript.

    > The weired think is that I can not find any "setpagedevice" in the
    > spool file created today. "setpagedevice" was what the printer barfed
    > at on Tuesday...

    Then something else must be different about the queue setup or file you
    are printing.

    When printing with bi-directional protocols like RawTCP, DCPS sends some
    PostScript code called prologues to the printer and stores them on the
    printer so they don't have to be sent each time. This would make the
    first job printed to the printer after power-up larger as it contains
    these prologues. But with a uni-directional protocol like LPD,
    prologues are not checked since the printer can't respond to the DCPS
    query about whether the prologues exist. So the prologues are sent each
    time and, in your case, a 'setpagedevice' command that's in one LPD job
    should also be in another LPD job.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  2. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > What was the person printing ?

    We have two kind of printouts.
    They are both text files, one without and one
    with embeded PCL commands. We does not create
    *any* PS files of our own. *All* PS code
    sent to the printer(s) comes from DCPS.

    This comment from Paul :

    > You can't use DCPS with a printer that does not have PostScript.

    tells me that I had missunderstood that. I thought that
    the "DATA_TYPE=PCL" was a way to use the DCPS "infrastructure"
    to print PCL on non-PS printers. Guess not...

    Seems as I have to get back to the drawingboard to take
    a second look on the whole printing setup on this system...

    Jan-Erik.

  3. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > tells me that I had missunderstood that. I thought that
    > the "DATA_TYPE=PCL" was a way to use the DCPS "infrastructure"
    > to print PCL on non-PS printers. Guess not...

    The error message you posted here is typical of a POSTSCRIPT printer. I
    would be willing to bet a chocolate bar that the printer does support
    Postcript.

    As you have seen in the postscript modules sent to the printer, there
    are many postscript commands sent to the printer prior to a
    setpagedevice command. A PCL-only printer would likely have complained
    well before getting to a setpagedevice, and it would have had no concept
    of a stack and that a dictionary had been put on the stack just before
    calling setpagedevice.

  4. Re: DCPS setpagedevice PS error on a Xerox WCP 35

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> tells me that I had missunderstood that. I thought that
    >> the "DATA_TYPE=PCL" was a way to use the DCPS "infrastructure"
    >> to print PCL on non-PS printers. Guess not...

    > The error message you posted here is typical of a POSTSCRIPT printer. I
    > would be willing to bet a chocolate bar that the printer does support
    > Postcript.

    Of course it does. *That* printer, that is...
    But it also supports PCL with auto-switch
    between PS and PCL, so I expect it to also
    accept a plain PCL file.

    But there are a lot of non-PS printers at the same site,
    My hope was to be able to manage them all through DCPS.
    Seems not.

    > As you have seen in the postscript modules sent to the printer, there
    > are many postscript commands sent to the printer prior to a
    > setpagedevice command. A PCL-only printer would likely have complained
    > well before getting to a setpagedevice, and it would have had no concept
    > of a stack and that a dictionary had been put on the stack just before
    > calling setpagedevice.

    A PCL only printer would usualy print a few pages of PS code.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2