Re: AS200 and DE500 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: AS200 and DE500 - VMS ; From: David J Dachtera > I've tried the built-in at the "fastfd" setting and got nowhere. Could > be faulty, I suppose... 1. If you think that "got nowhere" is a useful description of what happened, think again. 2. If ...

  1. Re: AS200 and DE500

    From: David J Dachtera

    > I've tried the built-in at the "fastfd" setting and got nowhere. Could
    > be faulty, I suppose...

    1. If you think that "got nowhere" is a useful description of what
    happened, think again.

    2. If it's a 10Mb/s interface, which seems to be the consensus, then
    I wouldn't expect "fast" to work. And if it's not fast, then I wouldn't
    expect "fd" to work, either.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: AS200 and DE500

    "Steven M. Schweda" wrote in message
    > From: David J Dachtera
    >
    > > I've tried the built-in at the "fastfd" setting and got nowhere. Could
    > > be faulty, I suppose...

    > 1. If you think that "got nowhere" is a useful description of what
    > happened, think again.
    >
    > 2. If it's a 10Mb/s interface, which seems to be the consensus, then
    > I wouldn't expect "fast" to work. And if it's not fast, then I wouldn't
    > expect "fd" to work, either.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    Indeed, "got nowhere" provides little in the way of troubleshooting info.

    Anyhow, wrt DE500: there were various flavours of DE500, and VMS patches may
    be required for correct operation, depending on VMS version in use. These
    are described in 14.23 of the VMS FAQ, findable at
    http://hoffmanlabs.org/vmsfaq/vmsfaq_025.html

    ps
    apologies for the delayed reply, Google groups is seemingly on holiday again
    today, and as I write this it does not appear to have had any new posts
    since Mark Daniel's post dated Oct 25th, 22:49:10 +9:30 Message-ID:
    011308d4$0$20645$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com . Which is a shame for folks like
    me who use Google Groups because my home news provider isn't accessible from
    work, and vice versa, but that's a story for another topic.

  3. Re: AS200 and DE500

    John Wallace wrote:

    > "Steven M. Schweda" wrote in message
    > > From: David J Dachtera
    > >
    > > > I've tried the built-in at the "fastfd" setting and got nowhere. Could
    > > > be faulty, I suppose...

    > > 1. If you think that "got nowhere" is a useful description of what
    > > happened, think again.
    > >
    > > 2. If it's a 10Mb/s interface, which seems to be the consensus, then
    > > I wouldn't expect "fast" to work. And if it's not fast, then I wouldn't
    > > expect "fd" to work, either.

    > > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    > Indeed, "got nowhere" provides little in the way of troubleshooting info.

    If anyone has a suggestion to better express "no link, no data transfer,
    no diagnostic messages" than "doesn't work", I'm all ears.

    ....or are there extensive diagnostics built into SRM that either remain
    little known / undocumented or otherwise osbcure?

    I've never seen anything similar to the following in SRM:

    >>> set ewa0 fastfd

    %SRM-E-UNSUPP, EWA0 hardware does not support "fastfd"

    D.J.D.

+ Reply to Thread