SYSMAN Problem - VMS

This is a discussion on SYSMAN Problem - VMS ; Hello All I use SYSMAN to connect to many of my VMS nodes to run generic commands and I'm having problems with one specific node. My setup is as follows: $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG - ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK ABS I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS ...

  1. SYSMAN Problem

    Hello All

    I use SYSMAN to connect to many of my VMS nodes to run generic
    commands and I'm having problems with one specific node.

    My setup is as follows:

    $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG -
    ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK ABS

    I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS which works fine and I put my password
    in without issue.

    I then run SYSMAN> do show system/process=*dec* which works across all
    nodes except on one for which I get the following message:

    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SPTEST
    OpenVMS V7.3-2 on node SPTEST 26-OCT-2008 17:46:49.96 Uptime 45
    08:58:51
    Pid Process Name State Pri I/O CPU Page
    flts Pages
    0013FE43 DECevent_SPTEST HIB 6 909 0 00:00:00.20
    1939 1045

    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node ABSCUK
    %SYSMAN-I-NODERR, error returned from node ABSCUK
    -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node

    I can run standard decnet commands between the target and source node
    without any issues so I don't think it's a uaf problem.

    Also, decnet_register is correct for both nodes when looking at each
    other.

    If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful.

    Thanks very much.

    Lee.

  2. Re: SYSMAN Problem

    lee.morgan@o2.com wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > I use SYSMAN to connect to many of my VMS nodes to run generic
    > commands and I'm having problems with one specific node.
    >
    > My setup is as follows:
    >
    > $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG -
    > ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK ABS
    >
    > I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS which works fine and I put my password
    > in without issue.
    >
    > I then run SYSMAN> do show system/process=*dec* which works across all
    > nodes except on one for which I get the following message:
    >
    > %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SPTEST
    > OpenVMS V7.3-2 on node SPTEST 26-OCT-2008 17:46:49.96 Uptime 45
    > 08:58:51
    > Pid Process Name State Pri I/O CPU Page
    > flts Pages
    > 0013FE43 DECevent_SPTEST HIB 6 909 0 00:00:00.20
    > 1939 1045
    >
    > %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node ABSCUK
    > %SYSMAN-I-NODERR, error returned from node ABSCUK
    > -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
    >
    > I can run standard decnet commands between the target and source node
    > without any issues so I don't think it's a uaf problem.
    >
    > Also, decnet_register is correct for both nodes when looking at each
    > other.
    >
    > If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Lee.

    "decnet_register", eh? Sounds like DECnet-V.

    Unless there's something about DECnet-V you absolutely, positively
    cannot live without, I'd "upgrade" to the earlier DECnet-IV so you can
    "set it and forget it" and it "just works".

    D.J.D.

  3. Re: SYSMAN Problem

    schreef in bericht
    > Hello All

    [snip]

    > Pid Process Name State Pri I/O CPU Page
    > flts Pages
    > 0013FE43 DECevent_SPTEST HIB 6 909 0 00:00:00.20
    > 1939 1045
    >
    > %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node ABSCUK
    > %SYSMAN-I-NODERR, error returned from node ABSCUK
    > -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
    >
    > I can run standard decnet commands between the target and source node
    > without any issues so I don't think it's a uaf problem.
    >
    > Also, decnet_register is correct for both nodes when looking at each
    > other.
    >
    > If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Lee.

    There are several things that surprise me:
    1) the remote command does return some information, though not everything if
    I understand you well
    2) ABSCUK *is* the remote node, right, so the required network object was/is
    defined at ABSCUK.
    3) but the example seems to indicate that the remote command runs on node
    SPTEST

    Observations 2 and 3 can't both be true, so that's why I'm puzzled.
    Is it possible to give us the equivalent of SHO OBJECT CHAR and SHO
    EXEC CHAR (I agree that phase 4 is a lot less structured but q a lot easier
    to remember) for all three nodes (ABSCUK, SPTEST and the local node).
    Hans

  4. Re: SYSMAN Problem

    lee.morgan@o2.com wrote:

    > $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG -
    > ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK ABS
    >
    > I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS which works fine and I put my password
    > in without issue.
    >
    > I then run SYSMAN> do show system/process=*dec* which works across all
    > nodes except on one for which I get the following message:

    > -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node

    SYSMAN uses SCS to communicate when SET ENV/CLUSTER

    But when SET ENV/NODE=xxx then SYSMAN uses DECNET to create decnet tasks
    on each node with the username/password that was supplied.

    It depends on an object called SMISERVER existing on remote nodes. The
    failing node probably doesn't have that object configured [properly]

    SMISERVER appears to be a decnet object created dynamically by the
    process "SMISERVER". (it isn't in the DECNET permanent object database).

    Do you have the process SMISERVER running on that node ? Has it created
    the SMISERVER decnet object ?

  5. Re: SYSMAN Problem

    In article <4904B1CA.1C3E9A5E@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:
    >lee.morgan@o2.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello All
    >>
    >> I use SYSMAN to connect to many of my VMS nodes to run generic
    >> commands and I'm having problems with one specific node.
    >>
    >> My setup is as follows:
    >>
    >> $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG -
    >> ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK ABS
    >>
    >> I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS which works fine and I put my password
    >> in without issue.
    >>
    >> I then run SYSMAN> do show system/process=*dec* which works across all
    >> nodes except on one for which I get the following message:
    >>
    >> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SPTEST
    >> OpenVMS V7.3-2 on node SPTEST 26-OCT-2008 17:46:49.96 Uptime 45
    >> 08:58:51
    >> Pid Process Name State Pri I/O CPU Page
    >> flts Pages
    >> 0013FE43 DECevent_SPTEST HIB 6 909 0 00:00:00.20
    >> 1939 1045
    >>
    >> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node ABSCUK
    >> %SYSMAN-I-NODERR, error returned from node ABSCUK
    >> -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
    >>
    >> I can run standard decnet commands between the target and source node
    >> without any issues so I don't think it's a uaf problem.
    >>
    >> Also, decnet_register is correct for both nodes when looking at each
    >> other.
    >>
    >> If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Lee.

    >"decnet_register", eh? Sounds like DECnet-V.
    >
    >Unless there's something about DECnet-V you absolutely, positively
    >cannot live without, I'd "upgrade" to the earlier DECnet-IV so you can
    >"set it and forget it" and it "just works".

    David, I been running Phase-V for years (a decade+) and it's just as
    "set it and forget it" for me and it "just works". One thing that's
    been helpful in a number of circumstances is DECnet over IP. It has
    saved much time and pain with a couple of VMS client/customers in the
    past.

    I really don't think it's all that much of a pain or difficult to use.
    Understandably, there are those that still haven't weened themselves
    off of the old NCP syntax, so it seems much more difficult. Verbosity
    aside, NCL is not all that bad.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: SYSMAN Problem

    VAXman-, @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article <4904B1CA.1C3E9A5E@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:
    > >lee.morgan@o2.com wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hello All
    > >>
    > >> I use SYSMAN to connect to many of my VMS nodes to run generic
    > >> commands and I'm having problems with one specific node.
    > >>
    > >> My setup is as follows:
    > >>
    > >> $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG -
    > >> ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK ABS
    > >>
    > >> I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS which works fine and I put my password
    > >> in without issue.
    > >>
    > >> I then run SYSMAN> do show system/process=*dec* which works across all
    > >> nodes except on one for which I get the following message:
    > >>
    > >> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SPTEST
    > >> OpenVMS V7.3-2 on node SPTEST 26-OCT-2008 17:46:49.96 Uptime 45
    > >> 08:58:51
    > >> Pid Process Name State Pri I/O CPU Page
    > >> flts Pages
    > >> 0013FE43 DECevent_SPTEST HIB 6 909 0 00:00:00.20
    > >> 1939 1045
    > >>
    > >> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node ABSCUK
    > >> %SYSMAN-I-NODERR, error returned from node ABSCUK
    > >> -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
    > >>
    > >> I can run standard decnet commands between the target and source node
    > >> without any issues so I don't think it's a uaf problem.
    > >>
    > >> Also, decnet_register is correct for both nodes when looking at each
    > >> other.
    > >>
    > >> If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks very much.
    > >>
    > >> Lee.

    > >"decnet_register", eh? Sounds like DECnet-V.
    > >
    > >Unless there's something about DECnet-V you absolutely, positively
    > >cannot live without, I'd "upgrade" to the earlier DECnet-IV so you can
    > >"set it and forget it" and it "just works".

    > David, I been running Phase-V for years (a decade+) and it's just as
    > "set it and forget it" for me and it "just works". One thing that's
    > been helpful in a number of circumstances is DECnet over IP. It has
    > saved much time and pain with a couple of VMS client/customers in the
    > past.
    >
    > I really don't think it's all that much of a pain or difficult to use.
    > Understandably, there are those that still haven't weened themselves
    > off of the old NCP syntax, so it seems much more difficult. Verbosity
    > aside, NCL is not all that bad.

    It's not that great, either.

    I haven't seen NCL for years, but I do remember that the "non-volatile
    database" is the .NCL files which are read during startup of DECnet. I
    also recall that device counters can only be zeroed by rebooting. I
    don't think there's an equivalent of "TELL ",
    either. That's saved my skin a few times, also.

    As I said, if there's something about DECnet-V you absolutely,
    positively cannot live without, than run DECnet-V. Otherwise, I don't
    recommend it.

    YMMV...

    D.J.D.

  7. Re: SYSMAN Problem

    On Oct 26, 1:49*pm, lee.mor...@o2.com wrote:
    > Hello All
    >
    > I use SYSMAN to connect to many of my VMS nodes to run generic
    > commands and I'm having problems with one specific node.
    >
    > My setup is as follows:
    >
    > $ ASSIGN/TABLE=SYSMAN$NODE_TABLE/NOLOG *-
    > ABSLIV,ABSUAT,ABSDEV,ABSTST,ABSMSI,SPTEST,ABSCUK * ABS
    >
    > I then SYSMAN set env/node=ABS which works fine and I put my password
    > in without issue.
    >
    > I then run SYSMAN> do show system/process=*dec* which works across all
    > nodes except on one for which I get the following message:
    >
    > %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SPTEST
    > OpenVMS V7.3-2 *on node SPTEST *26-OCT-2008 17:46:49.96 *Uptime *45
    > 08:58:51
    > * Pid * *Process Name * *State *Pri * * *I/O * * * CPU * * * Page
    > flts *Pages
    > 0013FE43 DECevent_SPTEST HIB * * *6 * * *909 * 0 00:00:00.20
    > 1939 * 1045
    >
    > %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node ABSCUK
    > %SYSMAN-I-NODERR, error returned from node ABSCUK
    > -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
    >
    > I can run standard decnet commands between the target and source node
    > without any issues so I don't think it's a uaf problem.
    >
    > Also, decnet_register is correct for both nodes when looking at each
    > other.
    >
    > If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Lee.

    Lee,

    Pardon the presumption, but can you list the known objects at ABSCUK?

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

+ Reply to Thread