Re: AS200 and DE500 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: AS200 and DE500 - VMS ; From: "Richard B. Gilbert" > Steven M. Schweda wrote: > > From: "Richard B. Gilbert" > > > >> The built in interface is 10/100, the same as the DE500. Installing a > >> DE500 is pointless unless you need ...

  1. Re: AS200 and DE500

    From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > >
    > >> The built in interface is 10/100, the same as the DE500. Installing a
    > >> DE500 is pointless unless you need a second Ethernet interface or you
    > >> somehow fried the built in interface.

    > > Maybe on yours. On mine, EWA0 said "DE435", and was 10Mb/s. I did
    > > add a DE205 (10Mb/s, ISA, ERA0) card once, which was mildly
    > > entertaining. That was back when my DSL gizmo was a bridge, and I
    > > wanted to keep the non-IP traffic off it, so a second interface was
    > > useful.

    > Didn't you ever set it to 100 MB? I did it so many years ago that I've
    > forgotten exactly how but ISTR it was done from the SRM console.

    No, I never did. My guess is that you've not only forgotten exactly
    how you did it, but also exactly where and/or to what. But, hey. All
    evidence to the contrary aside, I'm open to an actual demonstration of
    this miraculous phenomenon.

    SMS.

  2. Re: AS200 and DE500

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >
    >> Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >>> From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    >>> Maybe on yours. On mine, EWA0 said "DE435", and was 10Mb/s. I did
    >>> add a DE205 (10Mb/s, ISA, ERA0) card once, which was mildly
    >>> entertaining. That was back when my DSL gizmo was a bridge, and I
    >>> wanted to keep the non-IP traffic off it, so a second interface was
    >>> useful.

    >> Didn't you ever set it to 100 MB? I did it so many years ago that I've
    >> forgotten exactly how but ISTR it was done from the SRM console.

    > No, I never did. My guess is that you've not only forgotten exactly
    > how you did it, but also exactly where and/or to what. But, hey. All
    > evidence to the contrary aside, I'm open to an actual demonstration of
    > this miraculous phenomenon.
    >
    > SMS.

    It could be that I've forgotten. I dug out the "User Information" which
    is the only documenation that I recall getting with the system. It
    looks as if the built in Ethernet is 10MB only. Maybe what I set was
    full duplex. I've had the box for about ten years now; I bought it when
    it went EOL and DEC had a "clearance sale". It cost me about $2K and
    I just about broke my arm reaching for my check book. That got me the
    box, with VMS and NAS 150 licenses, etc.

    It has run for ten years now without a hardware problem. DEC really
    knew how to build em!!

  3. Re: AS200 and DE500

    On Oct 25, 8:45*pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    > >> Didn't you ever set it to 100 MB? *I did it so many years ago that I've
    > >> forgotten exactly how but ISTR it was done from the SRM console.

    > > * *No, I never did. *My guess is that you've not only forgotten exactly
    > > how you did it, but also exactly where and/or to what. *But, hey. *All
    > > evidence to the contrary aside, I'm open to an actual demonstration of
    > > this miraculous phenomenon.

    > > * *SMS.

    > It could be that I've forgotten. *I dug out the "User Information" which
    > is the only documenation that I recall getting with the system. *It
    > looks as if the built in Ethernet is 10MB only. *Maybe what I set was
    > full duplex. *I've had the box for about ten years now; I bought it when
    > * it went EOL and DEC had a "clearance sale". *It cost me about $2K and
    > I just about broke my arm reaching for my check book. *That got me the
    > box, with VMS and NAS 150 licenses, etc.
    >
    > It has run for ten years now without a hardware problem. *DEC really
    > knew how to build em!!

    My AS200 came from onsale.com with 16MB memory and no OS. It was able
    to run Linux as soon as I added a drive, then later Win-NT Alpha (node
    name 'wastedalpha') with that 16MB (slow!). I moved it to VMS with
    hobby licenses as soon as I could get enough memory, and it has been
    running since with no issues other than cleaning the fans and grilles.

    I did upgrade it to 233MHz from 166, and put in the full flash to make
    the occasional downgrade to NT easier (had to for one program, now
    defunct). All else is still original and running fine with 384MB RAM,
    the KZPBA SCSI controller, and the ZLXp-E2 graphics card it originally
    came with. Like a tank, that box. And it ran fine with the DE500-BA
    ethernet card, when I had the PCI slots for it.

+ Reply to Thread