Re: AS200 and DE500 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: AS200 and DE500 - VMS ; From: David J Dachtera > I acquired a DE500 ethernet card recently and was wondering if anyone > knows will it work in my AlphaStation 200? How long would it take to try it? There's more than one "-xx" in ...

  1. Re: AS200 and DE500

    From: David J Dachtera

    > I acquired a DE500 ethernet card recently and was wondering if anyone
    > knows will it work in my AlphaStation 200?

    How long would it take to try it?

    There's more than one "-xx" in "DE500-xx". As I recall, I used a -BA
    in my AlpSta 200 4/233 systems (back when I used my AlpSta 200 4/233
    systems). I'm too far away to check at the moment. I'd expect the SPD
    or some other official document to have an authoratative answer. A
    search of comp.os.vms over the past decade might offer some hints, too.

    What's wrong with the built-in (slower) interface? Not very many PCI
    slots to waste in there.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: AS200 and DE500

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: David J Dachtera
    >
    >> I acquired a DE500 ethernet card recently and was wondering if anyone
    >> knows will it work in my AlphaStation 200?

    > How long would it take to try it?
    >
    > There's more than one "-xx" in "DE500-xx". As I recall, I used a -BA
    > in my AlpSta 200 4/233 systems (back when I used my AlpSta 200 4/233
    > systems). I'm too far away to check at the moment. I'd expect the SPD
    > or some other official document to have an authoratative answer. A
    > search of comp.os.vms over the past decade might offer some hints, too.
    >
    > What's wrong with the built-in (slower) interface? Not very many PCI
    > slots to waste in there.

    The built in interface is 10/100, the same as the DE500. Installing a
    DE500 is pointless unless you need a second Ethernet interface or you
    somehow fried the built in interface.

  3. Re: AS200 and DE500

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:

    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > > From: David J Dachtera
    > >
    > >> I acquired a DE500 ethernet card recently and was wondering if anyone
    > >> knows will it work in my AlphaStation 200?

    > > How long would it take to try it?
    > >
    > > There's more than one "-xx" in "DE500-xx". As I recall, I used a -BA
    > > in my AlpSta 200 4/233 systems (back when I used my AlpSta 200 4/233
    > > systems). I'm too far away to check at the moment. I'd expect the SPD
    > > or some other official document to have an authoratative answer. A
    > > search of comp.os.vms over the past decade might offer some hints, too.
    > >
    > > What's wrong with the built-in (slower) interface? Not very many PCI
    > > slots to waste in there.
    > >

    > The built in interface is 10/100, the same as the DE500. Installing a
    > DE500 is pointless unless you need a second Ethernet interface or you
    > somehow fried the built in interface.

    I've tried the built-in at the "fastfd" setting and got nowhere. Could
    be faulty, I suppose...

    D.J.D.

  4. Re: AS200 and DE500

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
    >> Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >>> From: David J Dachtera

    >>> How long would it take to try it?
    >>>
    >>> There's more than one "-xx" in "DE500-xx". As I recall, I used a -BA
    >>> in my AlpSta 200 4/233 systems (back when I used my AlpSta 200 4/233
    >>> systems). I'm too far away to check at the moment. I'd expect the SPD
    >>> or some other official document to have an authoratative answer. A
    >>> search of comp.os.vms over the past decade might offer some hints, too.
    >>>
    >>> What's wrong with the built-in (slower) interface? Not very many PCI
    >>> slots to waste in there.
    >>>

    >> The built in interface is 10/100, the same as the DE500. Installing a
    >> DE500 is pointless unless you need a second Ethernet interface or you
    >> somehow fried the built in interface.

    > I've tried the built-in at the "fastfd" setting and got nowhere. Could
    > be faulty, I suppose...
    >
    > D.J.D.

    I dug out my "User Information" manual and it does not support my
    recollection that 100MB was an option. I was either remembering a
    different machine or hallucinating. Sorry about that. Full or Half
    Duplex is the only settable option.

  5. Re: AS200 and DE500

    On Oct 25, 12:02*pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > > From: David J Dachtera

    > >> I acquired a DE500 ethernet card recently and was wondering if anyone
    > >> knows will it work in my AlphaStation 200?

    > > * *How long would it take to try it?

    > > * *There's more than one "-xx" in "DE500-xx". *As I recall, I used a -BA
    > > in my AlpSta 200 4/233 systems (back when I used my AlpSta 200 4/233
    > > systems). *I'm too far away to check at the moment. *I'd expect theSPD
    > > or some other official document to have an authoratative answer. *A
    > > search of comp.os.vms over the past decade might offer some hints, too.

    > > * *What's wrong with the built-in (slower) interface? *Not very many PCI
    > > slots to waste in there.

    > The built in interface is 10/100, the same as the DE500. *Installing a
    > DE500 is pointless unless you need a second Ethernet interface or you
    > somehow fried the built in interface.

    No. The embedded interface in the AS200 is a 10Base-T only; not
    10/100.

    I've used a DE500-BA successfully in my AS200, though it is out now in
    favor of a video card and a faster SCSI (KZPBA), which leaves no PCI
    slots free.

+ Reply to Thread