Can I get a basic compiler without a license? - VMS

This is a discussion on Can I get a basic compiler without a license? - VMS ; I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic
    compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

  2. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    "Nolan Hamilton" wrote in message
    >I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

    If 50$ is too much for good and reliable software, then you probably don't
    need it.
    A lot of work was put in to create those softwares. Theyt can't be free.
    It's lucky you can have an hobbyist license to use them, already.

    Syltrem

  3. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    Nolan Hamilton wrote:
    > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

    YOu are posting from an "encompasserve" (is that eisner ?) host.
    Wouldn't that imply you already have a decus membership number ?

    Also, once you have your licences, I have read that that membership
    number will continue to be usable "forever" within the hobbysist system.

    For instance, I have my original DECUS membership number, complete with
    the DEC country code before it (Canada was 078 !), and despite those
    numbers no longer being issued by the organisation formerly known as
    Decus Canada, I have my yearly renewalls allowed with that number.

  4. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On Oct 22, 5:04*pm, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:
    > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license. *I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. *Any Ideas?

    What do you want the compiler for - is it hobbyist use?

  5. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On 22 okt, 20:28, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Nolan Hamilton wrote:
    > > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > > membership for a hobbyist license. *I really just need a basic
    > > compiler and possibly DECwindows. *Any Ideas?

    > YOu are posting from an "encompasserve" (is that eisner ?) host.
    > Wouldn't that imply you already have a decus membership number ?
    >
    > Also, once you have your licences, I have read that that membership
    > number will continue to be usable "forever" within the hobbysist system.
    >
    > For instance, I have my original DECUS membership number, complete with
    > the DEC country code before it (Canada was 078 !), and despite those
    > numbers no longer being issued by the organisation formerly known as
    > Decus Canada, I have my yearly renewalls allowed with that number.

    JF, I still have my original DECUS Holland membership card. Would that
    still work too you think?
    Hans

  6. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    H Vlems wrote:

    > JF, I still have my original DECUS Holland membership card. Would that
    > still work too you think?

    My gut reaction is: give t a try.

    My number is entered as 078xxxxxx (with 078 being the country code for
    Canada, not sure what the DEC country code for the netherlands are.

    I think once a number was loaded in his database, it remains there. So
    if DECUS Holland sent Montagar their database, it is likely it is still
    there.

  7. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On Oct 22, 11:04*am, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:
    > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license. *I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. *Any Ideas?

    Well, you could always call HP and just buy them I suppose. That would
    be just a one time cost I think.
    Whatever in the world are you doing that $50 is too expensive?

    -Paul

  8. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    Nolan Hamilton wrote:
    > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

    Not that I know of! You can get cheap compilers/licenses for some
    platforms but VMS compilers and licenses are generally not cheap.

    You want cheap? Try Windoze! Even that is far from free but it may be
    cheaper than for VMS.

    If you don't mind developing in C and Unix, Solaris and its development
    tools are available free of charge! Sun decided several years ago to
    make the O/S and development tools available for free. The idea was to
    encourage people to develop software for Sun platforms. Sun charges for
    hardware, service, and support. The hardware is relatively cheap if you
    don't mind buying older hardware on the used equipment market. I picked
    up three Sun Ultra 10 workstations with "Creator 3D" graphics for under
    $100 US each. Newer and faster hardware costs more!

    If you are a business and are developing software to run on VMS and will
    be offering it for sale, HP has a program that allows you to obtain
    hardware and licenses at a discount. I'm not familiar with the details
    but I expect that there are one or two people here who might be able to
    bring up to speed on it.

  9. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On Oct 22, 7:10 pm, "Syltrem" wrote:
    > "Nolan Hamilton" wrote in message

    > >I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > > membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic
    > > compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

    > If 50$ is too much for good and reliable software, then you probably don't
    > need it.
    > A lot of work was put in to create those softwares. Theyt can't be free.
    > It's lucky you can have an hobbyist license to use them, already.
    >
    > Syltrem

    $50 (or local equivalent) is not too much for good and reliable
    software, especially if the $50 benefits the developers, owners,
    supporters, etc of the software.

    So, in this particular instance, care to tell folks how much of that
    $50 goes anywhere outside the user group, and exactly why the user
    group deserve their share? [Seen many reps from the user groups here
    lately, for example?]

  10. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    Nolan Hamilton wrote:
    > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license.

    Then don't use VMS... seriously. And think yourself lucky, as far as
    Encompass are concerned the dollar/pound exchange rate is still 1:1.

    > I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

    You presumably also need VMS, networking support, toolsets....

  11. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > You want cheap? Try Windoze! Even that is far from free but it may be
    > cheaper than for VMS.

    huh? For VMS fifty bucks buys you the OS and the compiler license.

    According to Amazon, one full windows license would pay for five or more
    years of VMS licensing. Given that MS want you to upgrade every 2-4
    years, that seems a bargain to me. And then there's the compiler license
    cost.

  12. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    H Vlems wrote:
    > On 22 okt, 20:28, JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Nolan Hamilton wrote:
    >>> I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    >>> membership for a hobbyist license. I really just need a basic
    >>> compiler and possibly DECwindows. Any Ideas?

    >> YOu are posting from an "encompasserve" (is that eisner ?) host.
    >> Wouldn't that imply you already have a decus membership number ?
    >>
    >> Also, once you have your licences, I have read that that membership
    >> number will continue to be usable "forever" within the hobbysist system.
    >>
    >> For instance, I have my original DECUS membership number, complete with
    >> the DEC country code before it (Canada was 078 !), and despite those
    >> numbers no longer being issued by the organisation formerly known as
    >> Decus Canada, I have my yearly renewalls allowed with that number.

    > ..., I still have my original DECUS Holland membership card. Would that
    > still work too you think?
    > Hans

    I use my 070xxxxxx Swedish DECUS number once a year to
    get new licenses. I still have the member card issued
    sometimes mid-80 I guess. I remember the first time
    when the hobbyist licenses where new, I had to ask my
    local organisation to send their member file to whoever
    managed the system at that time, after that it has always
    worked.

    Jan-Erik.
    Life-time DECUS member...

  13. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >>
    >> You want cheap? Try Windoze! Even that is far from free but it may
    >> be cheaper than for VMS.

    > huh? For VMS fifty bucks buys you the OS and the compiler license.

    That's the hobbyist price! Right?

    How about the price for business use; e.g. writing your own
    application(s)? There's a big price break if you are writing software
    for sale to VMS users but how many people are doing that?

  14. RE: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On 22 october 2008 20:36 H Vlems wrote:
    [SNIP]

    > JF, I still have my original DECUS Holland membership card. Would that
    > still work too you think?
    > Hans

    Mine still does.

    Regards
    Martin Hoogenboom

  15. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    Yes, 50$ is too much for someone who is less than 18 yrs old and does
    not have a job.

  16. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    In article <7cb39870-36c3-484a-8dc6-68496777c1c9@y79g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, Nolan Hamilton writes:
    >Yes, 50$ is too much for someone who is less than 18 yrs old and does

    Yes, 50$ is too much for someone who is more than 18 yrs old and does
    not have a job.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  17. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On Oct 23, 6:49*pm, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:
    > Yes, 50$ is too much for someone who is less than 18 yrs old and does
    > not have a job.

    I don't have the info, but wasn't there a way to get free access to
    some OpenVMS systems for development, testing, and/or hacking
    purposes, someplace? Like maybe HP? Deathrow?

    Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

  18. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    In article <32895960-102c-4022-a279-5a074725b13d@f77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, FrankS writes:
    >On Oct 23, 6:49=A0pm, Nolan Hamilton
    >wrote:
    >> Yes, 50$ is too much for someone who is less than 18 yrs old and does
    >> not have a job.

    >I don't have the info, but wasn't there a way to get free access to
    >some OpenVMS systems for development, testing, and/or hacking
    >purposes, someplace? Like maybe HP? Deathrow?
    >
    >Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

    Eisner has a large accoutrement of language compilers. Get an account there.
    If not there, I think Deathrow is a good bet. The program announcement boxes
    that HP put up are no longer available, at least, not with IPs that I have on
    record.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  19. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    I have a CSLG pack from 2002 with all sort of "retired" licenses; CORAL,
    BLISS, DIBOL, LISP for instance. What is the legal status of those?

    David.

    FrankS wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 6:49 pm, Nolan Hamilton
    > wrote:
    >> Yes, 50$ is too much for someone who is less than 18 yrs old and does
    >> not have a job.

    > I don't have the info, but wasn't there a way to get free access to
    > some OpenVMS systems for development, testing, and/or hacking
    > purposes, someplace? Like maybe HP? Deathrow?
    >
    > Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

  20. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    David Miller wrote:
    > I have a CSLG pack from 2002 with all sort of "retired" licenses; CORAL,
    > BLISS, DIBOL, LISP for instance. What is the legal status of those?
    >
    > David.

    It depends on whether or not YOU purchased the licenses from
    DEC/Compaq/HP. If YOU purchased the licenses, they are yours to use
    subject to the terms of the license.

    If, for example, you retrieved the license PAKs from a dumpster
    somewhere, they are legally "waste paper" and do not entitle you to use
    the software. As a practical matter, they will unlock the software and
    allow you to use it but it's not legal. You don't even need license
    PAKs; it's extremely easy to defeat the licensing; it was meant to "keep
    honest people honest" but, again, it's not legal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast