Can I get a basic compiler without a license? - VMS

This is a discussion on Can I get a basic compiler without a license? - VMS ; In article , FrankS writes: > > I don't have the info, but wasn't there a way to get free access to > some OpenVMS systems for development, testing, and/or hacking > purposes, someplace? Like maybe HP? Deathrow? > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    In article <32895960-102c-4022-a279-5a074725b13d@f77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, FrankS writes:

    > I don't have the info, but wasn't there a way to get free access to
    > some OpenVMS systems for development, testing, and/or hacking
    > purposes, someplace? Like maybe HP? Deathrow?
    >
    > Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

    Eisner, VAX6000, Deathrow, HP test drive systems, ...

    Many come to mind. What you are allowed to "hack" will vary, in
    most cases you cannot get a privileged account.

  2. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On Oct 22, 5:04*pm, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:
    > I dont want to spend 50 dollars a year for Connect/Encompass
    > membership for a hobbyist license. *I really just need a basic
    > compiler and possibly DECwindows. *Any Ideas?

    Hi Nolan,
    You could give GCC a try, it might be enough, it might not, but it's
    worth a try, and free. You could also try to write to Encompass and
    beg a free hobbyist license, obviously they're doing a valuable job
    for a paltry $50, but they might see the value in encouraging younger
    users to use VMS.

    Cheers

    Garry

  3. Re: Can I get a basic compiler without a license?

    On Oct 24, 3:01*pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <32895960-102c-4022-a279-5a074725b...@f77g2000hsf.googlegroups..com>, FrankS writes:
    >

    > > I don't have the info, but wasn't there a way to get free access to
    > > some OpenVMS systems for development, testing, and/or hacking
    > > purposes, someplace? *Like maybe HP? *Deathrow?

    > > Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

    > * *Eisner, VAX6000, Deathrow, HP test drive systems, ...
    >
    > * *Many come to mind. *What you are allowed to "hack" will vary, in
    > * *most cases you cannot get a privileged account.

    On www.openvms,org there is a list on the front page that says

    Free VMS Accounts:
    Deathrow Public OpenVMS Cluster
    Encompasserve