PMDF UA and S/MIME - VMS

This is a discussion on PMDF UA and S/MIME - VMS ; Hi, %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.4 AlphaServer 800 5/500 running OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.4; linked 17:23:52, Jul 25 2008 I've started receive some S/MIME mail and I was rather surprised to find that the PMDF MAIL command ...

  1. PMDF UA and S/MIME

    Hi,

    %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.4
    AlphaServer 800 5/500 running OpenVMS Alpha V8.3
    PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.4; linked 17:23:52, Jul 25 2008

    I've started receive some S/MIME mail and I was rather surprised to find
    that the PMDF MAIL command didn't pay any attention to the MIME structure of
    the message. Here is an edited extract from one of these messages (I have
    removed most of the outer message headers):

    This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

    --------------ms050509050501030008010508

    Jeremy,

    thank you for this info. Just let us perform the tests tomorrow.

    Regards
    Stefan

    --------------ms050509050501030008010508

    MIAGCSqGSIb3DQEHAqCAMIACAQExCzAJBgUrDgMCGgUAMIAGCS qGSIb3DQEHAQAAoIII+zCC
    AtgwggJBoAMCAQICEAcMVKeuHCU3/3P7WrQlHj4wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQAwYjELMAkGA1UE

  2. Re: PMDF UA and S/MIME

    Hi Francesco,

    >I think that it depends on the PMDF option (in pmdf_tableption.dat):
    >
    >MP_SIGNED_MODE
    >
    >that should be = 1 (to have PMDF recognize the S/MIME structure)

    That's exactly what I was looking for -- thanks!

    >Please note that in such case channels like "conversion" could
    >corrupt the digital signed message.

    The PMDF System Manager's Manual says this option is for OpenVMS User Agents
    so I don't think the CONVERSION channel would be affected by it. I suppose
    if I extracted the message and signature to a file then tried to run an
    S/MIME signature verifier I might not have much luck, but that's not
    something I'm likely to do. (IMAP clients are good enough for such
    purposes.)

    Regards,

    Jeremy Begg

    >> Hi,

    >> %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.4
    >> AlphaServer 800 5/500 running OpenVMS Alpha V8.3
    >> PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.4; linked 17:23:52, Jul 25 2008

    >> I've started receive some S/MIME mail and I was rather surprised to find
    >> that the PMDF MAIL command didn't pay any attention to the MIME structure of
    >> the message. Here is an edited extract from one of these messages (I have
    >> removed most of the outer message headers):

    >> This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

    >> --------------ms050509050501030008010508

    >> Jeremy,

    >> thank you for this info. Just let us perform the tests tomorrow.

    >> Regards
    >> Stefan

    >> --------------ms050509050501030008010508

    >> MIAGCSqGSIb3DQEHAqCAMIACAQExCzAJBgUrDgMCGgUAMIAGCS qGSIb3DQEHAQAAoIII+zCC
    >> AtgwggJBoAMCAQICEAcMVKeuHCU3/3P7WrQlHj4wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQAwYjELMAkGA1UE
    >> .
    >> .
    >> .
    >> G9HRTvEaxKmllT4stFLqAXFmr8QrRrPxvPNaDS6fmFMOzQWvKM wQyzIjQqt3O0FF0coDjkea
    >> TtpKMCuFF6pJ0FzbshiHmJK1OK8yZ/qJckU/5CYL3JtddlrdBgAAAAAAAA==
    >> --------------ms050509050501030008010508--

    >> When I read this message in PMDF MAIL I do not see the "table of contents"
    >> that PMDF MAIL normally presents when displaying a multipart MIME message.
    >> Instead, PMDF MAIL just dumps out the message contents -- much as VMS MAIL
    >> would.

    >> Is there any particular reason for this? Something I have to enable in
    >> PMDF? It seems to be displayed correctly when I view it using an IMAP
    >> client such as Thunderbird on my Mac.

    >> Thanks,

    >> Jeremy Begg

    >> +---------------------------------------------------------+
    >> | VSM Software Services Pty. Ltd. |
    >> | http://www.vsm.com.au/ |
    >> | "OpenVMS Systems Management & Programming" |
    >> |---------------------------------------------------------|
    >> | P.O.Box 402, Walkerville, | E-Mail: jeremy@vsm.com.au |
    >> | South Australia 5081 | Phone: +61 8 8221 5188 |
    >> |---------------------------| Mobile: 0414 422 947 |
    >> | A.C.N. 068 409 156 | FAX: +61 8 8221 7199 |
    >> +---------------------------------------------------------+

  3. Re: PMDF UA and S/MIME

    Hi Jeremy,

    > Hi Francesco,

    > >I think that it depends on the PMDF option (in pmdf_tableption.dat):
    > >
    > >MP_SIGNED_MODE
    > >
    > >that should be = 1 (to have PMDF recognize the S/MIME structure)

    > That's exactly what I was looking for -- thanks!

    > >Please note that in such case channels like "conversion" could
    > >corrupt the digital signed message.

    > The PMDF System Manager's Manual says this option is for OpenVMS User Agents
    > so I don't think the CONVERSION channel would be affected by it. I suppose
    > if I extracted the message and signature to a file then tried to run an
    > S/MIME signature verifier I might not have much luck, but that's not
    > something I'm likely to do. (IMAP clients are good enough for such
    > purposes.)

    I'm sure that it involves conversion channel and that introduces the
    risk of corruption.
    Here is an extract from release notes of PMDF 6.2

    5. A new option has been added to option.dat to enable parsing of
    multipart/signed messages, for example by PMDF MAIL and for the
    conversion channel. To enable parsing of multipart/signed messages,
    put MP_SIGNED_MODE=1 into your option.dat file. The default is 0,
    multipart/signed messages are not parsed.

    Regards,
    Francesco

+ Reply to Thread