PALCode problem - VMS

This is a discussion on PALCode problem - VMS ; Dear users, I have just cloned our Openvms (v7.1) plus control software to a refurbished unit (Dec3000/300). After i booted up the server, the system prompted me the following message. "APB-W-PALREV PALCode rev 5.46 is below supported minimum of 5.48." ...

  1. PALCode problem

    Dear users,

    I have just cloned our Openvms (v7.1) plus control software to a
    refurbished unit (Dec3000/300). After i booted up the server, the
    system prompted me the following message.

    "APB-W-PALREV
    PALCode rev 5.46 is below supported minimum of 5.48."

    I am not familiar with Openvms, i have searched over this group for
    help, it seems that it is something related to firmware update. But i
    haven't found the relevant instructions for the firmware update. I am
    very much appreciated if anyone can help me out on the firmware update
    matter. Thank you.

  2. Re: PALCode problem

    See here: http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/firmware/ then download the
    latest firmware for the DEC3000 (not on the latest firmware CD) and follow
    the instructions.

    This looks useful too:
    ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images - it's worth taking a
    look at the older ISO images available.

    Alternatively some of the 2nd user brokers may have older firmware CDs, or
    your field service contacts may be able to supply you with one.

    --
    Cheers, Colin.
    Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

  3. Re: PALCode problem

    On Oct 22, 1:54*am, che...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear users,
    >
    > I have just cloned our Openvms (v7.1) plus control software to a
    > refurbished unit (Dec3000/300). After i booted up the server, the
    > system prompted me the following message.
    >
    > "APB-W-PALREV
    > PALCode rev 5.46 is below supported minimum of 5.48."
    >
    > I am not familiar with Openvms, i have searched over this group for
    > help, it seems that it is something related to firmware update. But i
    > haven't found the relevant instructions for the firmware update. I am
    > very much appreciated if anyone can help me out on the firmware update
    > matter. Thank you.

    Concur.

    Emphasis on Colin's comment "latest firmware for the DEC 3000 (NOT THE
    LATEST FIRMWARE CD)" [emphasis mine].

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  4. Re: PALCode problem

    Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 1:54 am, che...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Dear users,
    >>
    >>I have just cloned our Openvms (v7.1) plus control software to a
    >>refurbished unit (Dec3000/300). After i booted up the server, the
    >>system prompted me the following message.
    >>
    >>"APB-W-PALREV
    >>PALCode rev 5.46 is below supported minimum of 5.48."
    >>
    >>I am not familiar with Openvms, i have searched over this group for
    >>help, it seems that it is something related to firmware update. But i
    >>haven't found the relevant instructions for the firmware update. I am
    >>very much appreciated if anyone can help me out on the firmware update
    >>matter. Thank you.

    > Concur.
    >
    > Emphasis on Colin's comment "latest firmware for the DEC 3000 (NOT THE
    > LATEST FIRMWARE CD)" [emphasis mine].
    >
    > - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

    BTW, the "-W-" in the message indicates it is a Warning, not an Error
    ("-E-") or a Fatal error ("-F-"), so the system should boot okay.

    I'm not sure what the latest firmware for the DEC 3000's is, but
    from a random assortment of firmware CD's near my desk, V5.4 and
    V5.8 both have firmware V7.0, and V6.5, 7.0 and 7.2 all point to
    the web site for the latest version. NB: the Palcode versions
    are sometimes the same as the firmware versions, but often are
    different. I think V7.0 is the most recent firmware version for
    3000s. In any case, my DEC 3000-300 show cpu/full shows it has

    PALCODE - Revision Code..: 5.56-01

    and I'm pretty sure this is the latest and that I last updated
    it from one of the V5.x CDs. So if you are looking for a CD,
    anything between V5.4 and V5.8 should work.

    Where are you located? If you are in the greater Boston area,
    you can borrow one of mine. (I just found a duplicate V5.8,
    which I'll mail to you if you still need it - for postage if
    outside the US.)

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  5. Re: PALCode problem

    On Oct 22, 4:37*pm, "Colin Butcher"
    wrote:
    > See here:http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/firmware/then download the
    > latest firmware for the DEC3000 (not on the latest firmware CD) and follow
    > the instructions.
    >
    > This looks useful too:ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images- it's worth taking a
    > look at the older ISO images available.
    >
    > Alternatively some of the 2nd user brokers may have older firmware CDs, or
    > your field service contacts may be able to supply you with one.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Colin.
    > Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

    Thanks Colin, I have checked the firmware update instructions. I find
    out it will require either floppy or network update. Our machine is a
    standalone unit which has no network connecting to other Dec server,
    that Dec server has no floppy drive installed as well. Would it be
    possible for me to update the firmware from CDROM?
    Thanks again.

  6. Re: PALCode problem

    On Oct 23, 9:41*am, John Santos wrote:
    > Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > > On Oct 22, 1:54 am, che...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >>Dear users,

    > >>I have just cloned our Openvms (v7.1) plus control software to a
    > >>refurbished unit (Dec3000/300). After i booted up the server, the
    > >>system prompted me the following message.

    > >>"APB-W-PALREV
    > >>PALCode rev 5.46 is below supported minimum of 5.48."

    > >>I am not familiar with Openvms, i have searched over this group for
    > >>help, it seems that it is something related to firmware update. But i
    > >>haven't found the relevant instructions for the firmware update. I am
    > >>very much appreciated if anyone can help me out on the firmware update
    > >>matter. Thank you.

    > > Concur.

    > > Emphasis on Colin's comment "latest firmware for the DEC 3000 (NOT THE
    > > LATEST FIRMWARE CD)" [emphasis mine].

    > > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    > BTW, the "-W-" in the message indicates it is a Warning, not an Error
    > ("-E-") or a Fatal error ("-F-"), so the system should boot okay.
    >
    > I'm not sure what the latest firmware for the DEC 3000's is, but
    > from a random assortment of firmware CD's near my desk, V5.4 and
    > V5.8 both have firmware V7.0, and V6.5, 7.0 and 7.2 all point to
    > the web site for the latest version. *NB: the Palcode versions
    > are sometimes the same as the firmware versions, but often are
    > different. *I think V7.0 is the most recent firmware version for
    > 3000s. *In any case, my DEC 3000-300 show cpu/full shows it has
    >
    > * * PALCODE - *Revision Code..: 5.56-01
    >
    > and I'm pretty sure this is the latest and that I last updated
    > it from one of the V5.x CDs. *So if you are looking for a CD,
    > anything between V5.4 and V5.8 should work.
    >
    > Where are you located? *If you are in the greater Boston area,
    > you can borrow one of mine. *(I just found a duplicate V5.8,
    > which I'll mail to you if you still need it - for postage if
    > outside the US.)
    >
    > --
    > John Santos
    > Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
    > 781-861-0670 ext 539

    Hi John,

    Very much appreciated your help. My site is located in Singapore. I
    would like to know if it is possible for you to make an image file so
    that i can make my own firmware CD. I hope this will save the postage
    cost. :-)

  7. Re: PALCode problem

    chewep@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 9:41 am, John Santos wrote:
    >
    >>Bob Gezelter wrote:

    >>>Concur.

    >>>Emphasis on Colin's comment "latest firmware for the DEC 3000 (NOT THE
    >>>LATEST FIRMWARE CD)" [emphasis mine].

    >>>- Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    >>BTW, the "-W-" in the message indicates it is a Warning, not an Error
    >>("-E-") or a Fatal error ("-F-"), so the system should boot okay.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what the latest firmware for the DEC 3000's is, but
    >>from a random assortment of firmware CD's near my desk, V5.4 and
    >>V5.8 both have firmware V7.0, and V6.5, 7.0 and 7.2 all point to
    >>the web site for the latest version. NB: the Palcode versions
    >>are sometimes the same as the firmware versions, but often are
    >>different. I think V7.0 is the most recent firmware version for
    >>3000s. In any case, my DEC 3000-300 show cpu/full shows it has
    >>
    >> PALCODE - Revision Code..: 5.56-01
    >>
    >>and I'm pretty sure this is the latest and that I last updated
    >>it from one of the V5.x CDs. So if you are looking for a CD,
    >>anything between V5.4 and V5.8 should work.
    >>
    >>Where are you located? If you are in the greater Boston area,
    >>you can borrow one of mine. (I just found a duplicate V5.8,
    >>which I'll mail to you if you still need it - for postage if
    >>outside the US.)
    >>
    >>--
    >>John Santos
    >>Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
    >>781-861-0670 ext 539

    > Hi John,
    >
    > Very much appreciated your help. My site is located in Singapore. I
    > would like to know if it is possible for you to make an image file so
    > that i can make my own firmware CD. I hope this will save the postage
    > cost. :-)

    I think it might be a little big to email (pretty full CD would be
    around 600 MB, I'm just guessing it's full because why else would they
    drop the firmware for older systems, except lack of room?), but I'll
    see what I can do.

    Maybe you can burn the floppy images to a CD (on some system that has
    a CD burner, I don't know of any that worked on the DEC 3000s), and
    install from that, just substituting the CD device name for the
    floppy disk name (typically DKA500: or DKA600: for the CD vs DVA0:
    for the CD drive. A warning, though. Lots of the older DEC CD-ROM
    drives have problems reading CD-RW and some CD-R disks. What model
    CD do you have? (I think RRD40 and RRD50's had problems, RRD42's
    are dicey, RR45 and later are fine, not sure about the others, but
    it depends on the manufacturer and type of CD-R. Anyone have better
    info? Or maybe someone in Singapore has a spare firmware CD?

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  8. Re: PALCode problem

    As I suggested earlier - did you take a look at this:
    ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images ? You may well find
    that one of the older ISO images there will allow you to burn your own CD
    and that it has what you need on it.

    --
    Cheers, Colin.
    Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

  9. Re: PALCode problem

    Colin Butcher wrote:
    > As I suggested earlier - did you take a look at this:
    > ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images ? You may well find
    > that one of the older ISO images there will allow you to burn your own CD
    > and that it has what you need on it.

    Is that link realy complete ?
    Shouldn't there be some host also between
    "//" and "ftp/..."

  10. Re: PALCode problem

    On 23 okt, 11:03, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > Colin Butcher wrote:
    > > As I suggested earlier - did you take a look at this:
    > >ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images? You may well find
    > > that one of the older ISO images there will allow you to burn your own CD
    > > and that it has what you need on it.

    > Is that link realy complete ?
    > Shouldn't there be some host also between
    > "//" and *"ftp/..."

    //ftp/hp/com/* ought to be //ftp.hp.com/*

  11. Re: PALCode problem

    H Vlems wrote:
    > On 23 okt, 11:03, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > wrote:
    >> Colin Butcher wrote:
    >>> As I suggested earlier - did you take a look at this:
    >>> ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images? You may well find
    >>> that one of the older ISO images there will allow you to burn your own CD
    >>> and that it has what you need on it.

    >> Is that link realy complete ?
    >> Shouldn't there be some host also between
    >> "//" and "ftp/..."

    > //ftp/hp/com/* ought to be //ftp.hp.com/*

    Right.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images/

    works OK.

  12. Re: PALCode problem

    In article , chewep@gmail.com writes:

    > Thanks Colin, I have checked the firmware update instructions. I find
    > out it will require either floppy or network update. Our machine is a
    > standalone unit which has no network connecting to other Dec server,
    > that Dec server has no floppy drive installed as well. Would it be
    > possible for me to update the firmware from CDROM?
    > Thanks again.

    One of the images you can download will build a bootable CD. That's
    how I updated my 3000.

  13. Re: PALCode problem

    chewep@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 4:37 pm, "Colin Butcher"
    > wrote:
    >> See here:http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/firmware/then download the
    >> latest firmware for the DEC3000 (not on the latest firmware CD) and follow
    >> the instructions.
    >>
    >> This looks useful too:ftp://ftp/hp/com/pub/alphaserver/firmware/iso_images- it's worth taking a
    >> look at the older ISO images available.
    >>
    >> Alternatively some of the 2nd user brokers may have older firmware CDs, or
    >> your field service contacts may be able to supply you with one.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Colin.
    >> Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

    > Thanks Colin, I have checked the firmware update instructions. I find
    > out it will require either floppy or network update. Our machine is a
    > standalone unit which has no network connecting to other Dec server,
    > that Dec server has no floppy drive installed as well. Would it be
    > possible for me to update the firmware from CDROM?
    > Thanks again.

    It should be possible if you can write a CD that your VMS system can read.

+ Reply to Thread