Who is left at VMS engineering ? - VMS

This is a discussion on Who is left at VMS engineering ? - VMS ; > -----Original Message----- > From: Bill Gunshannon [mailto:billg999@cs.uofs.edu] > Sent: November 10, 2008 11:15 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Who is left at VMS engineering ? > > In article , > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes: > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. RE: Who is left at VMS engineering ?

    Yeah, you are likely right -

    I mean how much money is there really in these small markets like banks,
    telecom, manufacturing, stock exchanges, education, transportation, retail,
    utility and military markets anyway?

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  2. Re: Who is left at VMS engineering ?

    In article <9D02E14BC0A2AE43A5D16A4CD8EC5A593ED9530A6E@gvw1158 exb.americas.hpqcorp.net>,
    "Main, Kerry" writes:

> [...]

    You forgot hospitals. Oh wait, they are as gone as some of the ones above.
    Or did you miss that after loosing the academic side of education VMS is now
    starting to loose the administrative side as companies like SCT tell more
    and more of their customers that they are migrating. And then we have the
    recent nugget I got (and announced here) that DISA is dropping VMS from its
    stable of OSes of interest. If you know anything about DITSCAP/DIACAP you
    should be able to interpret the writting on the wall as far as future GOV
    and not just military business.

    But, that's OK. Just ignore it. Hey Dave, what was it you recently said about
    "blowing sunshine up their people's skirts". :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  3. Re: Who is left at VMS engineering ?

    Main, Kerry wrote:

    > Anyway, based on the win reports circulated internally, OpenVMS has
    > been doing very well. In particular, the Integrity blades with
    > OpenVMS seems to be gaining popularity.

    "doing very well" is relative. A terminally ill patient in paliative
    care can be defined as "doing very well" when one day she is well enough
    to speek coherently, when normally she isn't.

    If you measure the success of VMS by the sales of a few blades here and
    there, then it means that expectations of VMS sales have gone WAY down.
    Perhaps it is now in the same league as Tandem where getting a handfull
    of new sales per year was considered a good year ?

  4. Re: Who is left at VMS engineering ?

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > Which, of course, doesn't really bother all the people who want to see
    > VMS flourish.

    I think that "all the people who" should be replaced with "those who still"

    I would surmise that the majority of VMS supporters have now accepted
    that VMS will never again flourish and just expect HP to keep VMS on
    life support at a sufficiently high level that HP can claim that VMS is
    still being developped.

  5. Re: Who is left at VMS engineering ?

    In article <6nr500Ff2ikU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Not enough of them to even count.

    The pretty much depends on which niche your application fits in.
    If your application fits in that niche, it very much counts.

  6. Re: Who is left at VMS engineering ?

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <6nr500Ff2ikU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>
    >> Not enough of them to even count.

    > The pretty much depends on which niche your application fits in.
    > If your application fits in that niche, it very much counts.

    As usual you cut a most important prt of the context.

    > But there are niches where VMS and not UNIX, Windows, or
    > even Tandem is an option.

    Name them!! Exactly what "niche" can only be filled by VMS? And if one
    actually exists then why isn't HP making this very publicly known and
    pushing VMS into the public eye by very vocally filling this niche? These
    questions are, of course, rhetorical. The owners of VMS do not see it as
    strategic to any niche but merely a cash cow. And that cow gets leaner
    every day. Hardly worth slaughtering at this point. Probably just letr
    it die in the pasture.