When was "Line editing" introduced? - VMS

This is a discussion on When was "Line editing" introduced? - VMS ; When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced? I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties. But I don't recall when it was first introduced....

  1. When was "Line editing" introduced?

    When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?

    I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties.

    But I don't recall when it was first introduced.

  2. Re: When was "Line editing" introduced?

    tadamsmar writes:
    > When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?
    >
    > I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties.
    >
    > But I don't recall when it was first introduced.

    Probably when SMG was released, which was either V4.4 or V4.2, but
    I'd bet on V4.4.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  3. Re: When was "Line editing" introduced?

    In article <85e50f5e-0b12-411c-8093-9f0efee1c6bb@f77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, tadamsmar writes:
    > When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?
    >
    > I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties.
    >
    > But I don't recall when it was first introduced.

    VMS 4.0, 1984.

  4. Re: When was "Line editing" introduced?

    In article <9aAHHO3lGdch@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.com>, brooks@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) writes:
    > tadamsmar writes:
    >> When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?
    >>
    >> I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties.
    >>
    >> But I don't recall when it was first introduced.

    > Probably when SMG was released, which was either V4.4 or V4.2, but
    > I'd bet on V4.4.

    You missed the Cincinati DECUS?

  5. Re: When was "Line editing" introduced?

    Rob Brooks wrote:
    > tadamsmar writes:
    >> When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?
    >>
    >> I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties.
    >>
    >> But I don't recall when it was first introduced.

    > Probably when SMG was released, which was either V4.4 or V4.2, but
    > I'd bet on V4.4.

    I don't think it is using SMG$.

    (but 4.4 sound correct)

    Arne

  6. Re: When was "Line editing" introduced?

    tadamsmar wrote:
    > When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?

    VAX/VMS 4.0, same release as VAXclusters.

  7. Re: When was "Line editing" introduced?

    Arne Vajh°j wrote:
    > Rob Brooks wrote:
    >> tadamsmar writes:
    >>> When was SET TERM/LINE (Line editing) introduced?
    >>>
    >>> I don't think is was in VMS back in the early eighties.
    >>>
    >>> But I don't recall when it was first introduced.

    >> Probably when SMG was released, which was either V4.4 or V4.2, but
    >> I'd bet on V4.4.

    > I don't think it is using SMG$.
    >
    > (but 4.4 sound correct)
    >
    > Arne

    I'm pretty certain it was 4.0 (I remember reporting the "off by one" bug
    in the command line editor at a DECUS Symposium that would crash VMS !)

    "Basic" command line editing (one line buffer) is actually done in the
    terminal driver (which runs at elevated privilege which is why it
    crashed the OS when it pointed to one character before the beginning of
    the line). SMG$ can "hook" that buffer and extend it to as deep as you
    want.

+ Reply to Thread