Trying to buy VMS licenses - VMS

This is a discussion on Trying to buy VMS licenses - VMS ; Or, "Can't get there from here". Or, "Tried the front door, now let's try the back door". So the company I work for recently picked up a nice used RX2600 from eBay. We want to put VMS on it (duh). ...

  1. Trying to buy VMS licenses

    Or, "Can't get there from here".

    Or, "Tried the front door, now let's try the back door".

    So the company I work for recently picked up a nice used RX2600 from
    eBay. We want to put VMS on it (duh). Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    "VMS" and "buy some". Trying to select "servers" and "Itanium" servers
    got me a list of places that included several dozen iterations of
    Costco and Office Max. Might as well ask for Beef Wellington at a
    McDonald's.

    So I took a flying leap and called the large customer number. After a
    notably short call direction system and a moderate wait, I got to talk
    to a body who, surprisingly, understood that she might be able to help
    me.

    Or not. We're not a reseller, so I need to deal with inside sales or a
    reseller. (Duh, that's why I'm calling...) and we don't have an inside
    sales agent assigned to us, and apparently she couldn't figure out how
    to do that. Please call back later- maybe this afternoon, maybe next
    week. We are Verrrry Sorrry.

    Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    might be able to sell some VMS?

  2. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    In article <9f0e6cf1-f2d3-48b9-8832-71f0d2af3040@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, Dean Woodward writes:

    >Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    >might be able to sell some VMS?

    If you won't mind to buy the license from Germany, I know several resellers
    that will be glad to sell you licenses (although it might take some time).

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie

  3. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Oct 21, 12:50 pm, Dean Woodward wrote:

    > Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    > might be able to sell some VMS?

    i have used justin@zunesis.com
    he has sold multiple Itanium class machines with VMS to my clients.
    When I need VMS only licenses for machines switching from linux to
    VMS, i have called direct to HP and had no problems ordering VMS base
    for rx2600's and rx2620's.

  4. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    Dean Woodward wrote:

    > So I took a flying leap and called the large customer number. After a
    > notably short call direction system and a moderate wait, I got to talk
    > to a body who, surprisingly, understood that she might be able to help
    > me.

    That is why David of IslandCo is there. He can get you VMS licences if I
    am not mistaken and it is a simple call and you talk to someone who
    knows what VMS is and knows how to get you the licence.

    If you wish to deal directly with HP, I would recommend you email Sue,
    mention where you live and ask who you should contact about getting VMS
    licences. She may put you in touch with a VMS ambassador (do they still
    exist?) who will get you to the exact right person in your country.

  5. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Oct 21, 12:40*pm, kczwei wrote:
    > When I need VMS only licenses for machines switching from linux to
    > VMS, i have called direct to HP and had no problems ordering VMS base
    > for rx2600's and rx2620's.

    Right- I have the machine, I need the OS licenses.

    As for a switch from Linux to VMS- that sounds like a success story
    that should get published.

    (Noting that the new machine here used to run Linux...)

    JF- I'd thought of IslandCo, but they don't advertise Itanium; I'll
    give them a call tomorrow (won't have time today). Don't need to deal
    directly with HP- would probably rather find a reseller. The trick is
    finding an "HP Partner"/Reseller that knows that VMS isn't a mis-
    capitialization of VMs. Sue is another good idea.

  6. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    In article <9f0e6cf1-f2d3-48b9-8832-71f0d2af3040@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, Dean Woodward writes:

    > Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    > find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    > "VMS" and "buy some".

    You did try www.hp.com/go/vms ?

  7. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    Dean Woodward wrote:
    > Or, "Can't get there from here".
    >
    > Or, "Tried the front door, now let's try the back door".
    >
    > So the company I work for recently picked up a nice used RX2600 from
    > eBay. We want to put VMS on it (duh). Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    > find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    > "VMS" and "buy some". Trying to select "servers" and "Itanium" servers
    > got me a list of places that included several dozen iterations of
    > Costco and Office Max. Might as well ask for Beef Wellington at a
    > McDonald's.
    >
    > So I took a flying leap and called the large customer number. After a
    > notably short call direction system and a moderate wait, I got to talk
    > to a body who, surprisingly, understood that she might be able to help
    > me.
    >
    > Or not. We're not a reseller, so I need to deal with inside sales or a
    > reseller. (Duh, that's why I'm calling...) and we don't have an inside
    > sales agent assigned to us, and apparently she couldn't figure out how
    > to do that. Please call back later- maybe this afternoon, maybe next
    > week. We are Verrrry Sorrry.
    >
    > Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    > might be able to sell some VMS?

    One begins to suspect that they might not even notice if you ran without
    licenses!!!! I wouldn't recommend it but. . . .

    Contact Sue Skonetski. She should be able to put you in touch with
    someone who can sell you VMS licenses.

    When Sue is laid off, quits, or dies VMS will be dead for real!

  8. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Oct 21, 2:00*pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <9f0e6cf1-f2d3-48b9-8832-71f0d2af3...@w39g2000prb.googlegroups..com>, Dean Woodward writes:
    >
    > > Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    > > find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    > > "VMS" and "buy some".

    > * *You did try www.hp.com/go/vms?

    Between various 404s, quasi-random jumps into pages that don't even
    admit VMS exists, and a "tell us about your experience" survey with no
    less than a half dozen script errors, I can download the product
    bulletin, so I can see what a new 2660 goes for, or an FOE license for
    the 2 processor system I already have, might cost. Not Pascal or C (at
    least, not for I64 systems), nor how I might actually get any of
    that...

  9. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    Hopefully not
    We still do 90% of our business in refurbished VMS systems with NEW HP
    approved (and supplied) licenses.

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    news:3eudnZEZ2IUqyWPVnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Dean Woodward wrote:
    >> Or, "Can't get there from here".
    >>
    >> Or, "Tried the front door, now let's try the back door".
    >>
    >> So the company I work for recently picked up a nice used RX2600 from
    >> eBay. We want to put VMS on it (duh). Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    >> find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    >> "VMS" and "buy some". Trying to select "servers" and "Itanium" servers
    >> got me a list of places that included several dozen iterations of
    >> Costco and Office Max. Might as well ask for Beef Wellington at a
    >> McDonald's.
    >>
    >> So I took a flying leap and called the large customer number. After a
    >> notably short call direction system and a moderate wait, I got to talk
    >> to a body who, surprisingly, understood that she might be able to help
    >> me.
    >>
    >> Or not. We're not a reseller, so I need to deal with inside sales or a
    >> reseller. (Duh, that's why I'm calling...) and we don't have an inside
    >> sales agent assigned to us, and apparently she couldn't figure out how
    >> to do that. Please call back later- maybe this afternoon, maybe next
    >> week. We are Verrrry Sorrry.
    >>
    >> Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    >> might be able to sell some VMS?

    > One begins to suspect that they might not even notice if you ran without
    > licenses!!!! I wouldn't recommend it but. . . .
    >
    > Contact Sue Skonetski. She should be able to put you in touch with
    > someone who can sell you VMS licenses.
    >
    > When Sue is laid off, quits, or dies VMS will be dead for real!

  10. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Oct 21, 11:44*pm, Dean Woodward wrote:
    > On Oct 21, 2:00*pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    >
    > Koehler) wrote:
    > > In article <9f0e6cf1-f2d3-48b9-8832-71f0d2af3...@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, Dean Woodward writes:

    > > > Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    > > > find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    > > > "VMS" and "buy some".

    > > * *You did trywww.hp.com/go/vms?

    > Between various 404s, quasi-random jumps into pages that don't even
    > admit VMS exists, and a "tell us about your experience" survey with no
    > less than a half dozen script errors, I can download the product
    > bulletin, so I can see what a new 2660 goes for, or an FOE license for
    > the 2 processor system I already have, might cost. Not Pascal or C (at
    > least, not for I64 systems), nor how I might actually get any of
    > that...

    www.hp.com/go/dspp are good for companies who are developing software.
    Free licences and downloads for compilers and even itanium vms.

  11. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:50:45 -0700 (PDT), Dean Woodward wrote:
    > Or, "Can't get there from here".

    > Or, "Tried the front door, now let's try the back door".

    > So the company I work for recently picked up a nice used RX2600 from
    > eBay. We want to put VMS on it (duh). Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    > find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    > "VMS" and "buy some". Trying to select "servers" and "Itanium" servers
    > got me a list of places that included several dozen iterations of
    > Costco and Office Max. Might as well ask for Beef Wellington at a
    > McDonald's.

    > So I took a flying leap and called the large customer number. After a
    > notably short call direction system and a moderate wait, I got to talk
    > to a body who, surprisingly, understood that she might be able to help
    > me.

    > Or not. We're not a reseller, so I need to deal with inside sales or a
    > reseller. (Duh, that's why I'm calling...) and we don't have an inside
    > sales agent assigned to us, and apparently she couldn't figure out how
    > to do that. Please call back later- maybe this afternoon, maybe next
    > week. We are Verrrry Sorrry.

    > Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    > might be able to sell some VMS?

    You don't say what country / region / state you're from. I use
    Business Communication Systems:
    http://www.yourbcs.com/

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  12. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Oct 22, 7:47*am, IanMiller wrote:
    > www.hp.com/go/dsppare good for companies who are developing software.
    > Free licences *and downloads for compilers and even itanium vms.

    DSPP will get me Pascal and C licenses, good for a year, then renew.
    That helps.

    I also see an MCOE VMS license the use of which is probably not
    strictly kosher in my situation.

    The real issue with the DSPP licenses, esp. the VMS one, is the
    "development and demonstration use only" restriction. This box will
    probably see live customers (FSVO) on it at some point. I can't
    imagine a scenario where I'd be using a compiler in a "production"
    context, but my imagination doesn't really get going until after the
    3rd cup^Jmug^Jpot of coffee. But with real customers on the system, a
    real VMS license would be the Right Thing(tm) to do, I would think,
    even if the machine's primary role were development.

  13. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    Dean Woodward wrote:

    > DSPP will get me Pascal and C licenses, good for a year, then renew.
    > That helps.

    The annual renewall issue is a pain for real customers, especially if
    the authorization numbers change. Consider also support contracts which
    might not be possible with DSPP licences.

    If you're going to cheat, you might as well go Hobbyist. You still have
    the annual renewall, still can't get support, but you don't have hassles
    of dealing with DSPP and hence stay below the radar even more.

    Consider this: if someone were to pop up in here and ask how one would
    go about getting a PL1 license, you can bet a case of Mr Vaxman's
    Guiness that Tom Linden would respond quickly and get in touch with that
    potential customer and get him the compiler easily.

    Same with Dave Turner of Islanco who would pop up here and make it easy
    for someone to buy from him.

    Why doesn't VMS management take these cases of "I can't seem to find
    someone willing to sell me a VMS licence" and not only deal with that
    individual customer, but also work to ensure that HP is able to switch
    calls to the appropriate person so that those cases don't happen anymore ?

  14. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    On Oct 21, 11:50*am, Dean Woodward wrote:
    > Or, "Can't get there from here".
    >
    > Or, "Tried the front door, now let's try the back door".
    >
    > So the company I work for recently picked up a nice used RX2600 from
    > eBay. We want to put VMS on it (duh). Poked at HP's website, couldn't
    > find a reasonable way to get to anything specific that mentioned both
    > "VMS" and "buy some". Trying to select "servers" and "Itanium" servers
    > got me a list of places that included several dozen iterations of
    > Costco and Office Max. Might as well ask for Beef Wellington at a
    > McDonald's.
    >
    > So I took a flying leap and called the large customer number. After a
    > notably short call direction system and a moderate wait, I got to talk
    > to a body who, surprisingly, understood that she might be able to help
    > me.
    >
    > Or not. We're not a reseller, so I need to deal with inside sales or a
    > reseller. (Duh, that's why I'm calling...) and we don't have an inside
    > sales agent assigned to us, and apparently she couldn't figure out how
    > to do that. Please call back later- maybe this afternoon, maybe next
    > week. We are Verrrry Sorrry.
    >
    > Anyone here work for a reseller, or know who I might talk to, that
    > might be able to sell some VMS?

    ************************************************** ****************************************
    Hi Dean:

    The hobbiest License is the CHEAPEST way to go by far!!!! If you want
    an
    Integrity license that is for BUSINESS we can help you much better
    pricing
    than HP list. Give me a call or send me an e-mail with what you want
    and we
    should be able to help you.

    Ps: We have many Integrity systems in stock at GREAT pricing if you
    need a
    machine!!!!!!!! Give us a call.

    Len Whitwer

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  15. Re: Trying to buy VMS licenses

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Dean Woodward wrote:
    >
    >> DSPP will get me Pascal and C licenses, good for a year, then renew.
    >> That helps.

    > The annual renewall issue is a pain for real customers, especially if
    > the authorization numbers change. Consider also support contracts which
    > might not be possible with DSPP licences.
    >
    > If you're going to cheat, you might as well go Hobbyist. You still have
    > the annual renewall, still can't get support, but you don't have hassles
    > of dealing with DSPP and hence stay below the radar even more.
    >

    > Consider this: if someone were to pop up in here and ask how one would
    > go about getting a PL1 license, you can bet a case of Mr Vaxman's
    > Guiness that Tom Linden would respond quickly and get in touch with that
    > potential customer and get him the compiler easily.
    >
    > Same with Dave Turner of Islanco who would pop up here and make it easy
    > for someone to buy from him.
    >
    > Why doesn't VMS management take these cases of "I can't seem to find
    > someone willing to sell me a VMS licence" and not only deal with that
    > individual customer, but also work to ensure that HP is able to switch
    > calls to the appropriate person so that those cases don't happen anymore ?

    Because H-P is a corporate monster with a monster bureaucracy??

    bureaucracy n. pl. "3. An administrative system in which the need to
    follow complex procedures impedes effective action."

    All large organizations seem to suffer from this ailment to one degree
    or another!

+ Reply to Thread