Using Fortran to generate graphics - VMS

This is a discussion on Using Fortran to generate graphics - VMS ; I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed on ...

  1. Using Fortran to generate graphics

    I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very
    large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set
    is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed
    on sat shots of the ocean.

    Fun.

    Since the graphics do not have to be real time, I was thinking of
    doing it on a VMS system (IA64). I was wondering if anyone would care
    to share their thoughts on how doable this is, and on any graphics
    libraries available for Fortran 90. They grpahics need to be in some
    hi-res format, but at a minimum, a TIFF will do I suppose. The sat
    shots are coming in as TIFFs.

    There is no hurry on this, I have several weeks to propose the "how"
    and several months to actually "do."

    Thanks
    -Paul

    P.S. By "very large", I mean the data to overlay for each sat shot is
    just shy of a terabyte.

    -Paul

  2. RE: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    > doing it on a VMS system (IA64). I was wondering if anyone would care
    > to share their thoughts on how doable this is, and on any graphics
    > libraries available for Fortran 90. They grpahics need to be in some
    > hi-res format, but at a minimum, a TIFF will do I suppose. The sat
    > shots are coming in as TIFFs.

    Just a few days ago Helmut Michels announced in COV the release of version
    9.4 of the data plotting software DISLIN. To quote Helmut (I usually like o
    trim my posts down, but this one deserves to be repeated in full);

    > Dear VMS users,
    >
    > I am pleased to announce version 9.4 of the data plotting software
    > DISLIN.
    >
    > DISLIN is a high-level and easy to use plotting library for
    > displaying data as curves, bar graphs, pie charts, 3D-colour plots,
    > surfaces, contours and maps. Several output formats are supported
    > such as X11, VGA, PostScript, PDF, CGM, WMF, HPGL, TIFF, GIF, PNG,
    > BMP and SVG.
    >
    > The software is available for the most C, Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95
    > compilers. Plotting extensions for the interpreting languages Perl,
    > Python and Java are also supported.
    >
    > DISLIN distributions and manuals in PDF, PostScript and HTML format
    > are available from the DISLIN home page
    >
    > http://www.dislin.de
    >
    > and via FTP from the server
    >
    > ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/grafik/dislin
    >
    > All DISLIN distributions are free for non-commercial use. Licenses
    > for commercial use are available from the site http://www.dislin.de.
    >
    > -------------------
    > Helmut Michels
    > Max Planck Institute for
    > Solar System Research Phone: +49 5556 979-334
    > Max-Planck-Str. 2 Fax : +49 5556 979-240
    > D-37191 Katlenburg-Lindau Mail : michels@mps.mpg.de

    Peter Weaver
    www.weaverconsulting.ca www.openvmsvirtualization.com
    www.vaxvirtualization.com www.alphavirtualization.com
    Winner of the 2007 OpenVMS.org Readers' Choice Award for System
    Management/Performance

  3. Re: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    PR wrote:
    > I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very
    > large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set
    > is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed
    > on sat shots of the ocean.

    Is the output going on a display with interactive point and click, or
    going to a file as some static image file (.jpeg, .tiff etc) ?

    note that with VMS, any language can call routines from another language
    (with some caveats).

    If you create one image and wish to overlay it over another, there is
    imagemagik that is available on VMS.

  4. Re: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    On Oct 20, 3:47*am, PR wrote:
    > I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very
    > large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set
    > is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed
    > on sat shots of the ocean.
    >
    > Fun.
    >
    > Since the graphics do not have to be real time, I was thinking of
    > doing it on a VMS system (IA64). I was wondering if anyone would care
    > to share their thoughts on how doable this is, and on any graphics
    > libraries available for Fortran 90. They grpahics need to be in some
    > hi-res format, but at a minimum, a TIFF will do I suppose. The sat
    > shots are coming in as TIFFs.
    >
    > There is no hurry on this, I have several weeks to propose the "how"
    > and several months to actually "do."
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Paul
    >
    > P.S. By "very large", I mean the data to overlay for each sat shot is
    > just shy of a terabyte.
    >
    > -Paul

    libTIFF, libPNG, libGD, libJPEG are all available for VMS
    http://fafner.dyndns.org/~alexey/libsdl/required.html
    IMAL (formally TNIMAGE) is also available http://fafner.dyndns.org/~alexey/

    You may find something of interest in this VTJ article
    http://www.openvms.compaq.com/openvm...to_the_web.pdf

  5. Re: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    Hi Paul,

    If you're interested, Adobe Flex charting is about the most impresssive tool
    that I've found to date! (Silverlight is also gaining ground)

    To see how simple it is (once you're free of the shackles of DECForms and
    the buffoons at HP/VMS Middle Management) why dont't you have a gander at
    http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/demo_client_flex.html All the MXML and
    JavaScript source code is available at
    http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/

    Username: TIER3_DEMO
    Password: QUEUE

    Just click the "go" buttonto retrieve some data, then hovver over the pie
    charts and drill-down to change the data-grid. I personnaly see this as the
    *best* ever example of an employee query to the Rdb Personnel database, but
    hey, I'll let you be the judge. (Just tell me what exactly you are comparing
    it to!)

    Cheers Richard Maher

    "PR" wrote in message
    > I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very
    > large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set
    > is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed
    > on sat shots of the ocean.
    >
    > Fun.
    >
    > Since the graphics do not have to be real time, I was thinking of
    > doing it on a VMS system (IA64). I was wondering if anyone would care
    > to share their thoughts on how doable this is, and on any graphics
    > libraries available for Fortran 90. They grpahics need to be in some
    > hi-res format, but at a minimum, a TIFF will do I suppose. The sat
    > shots are coming in as TIFFs.
    >
    > There is no hurry on this, I have several weeks to propose the "how"
    > and several months to actually "do."
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Paul
    >
    > P.S. By "very large", I mean the data to overlay for each sat shot is
    > just shy of a terabyte.
    >
    > -Paul

  6. Re: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    On Oct 19, 9:58*pm, "Peter Weaver"
    wrote:
    > > doing it on a VMS system (IA64). I was wondering if anyone would care
    > > to share their thoughts on how doable this is, and on any graphics
    > > libraries available for Fortran 90. They grpahics need to be in some
    > > hi-res format, but at a minimum, a TIFF will do I suppose. The sat
    > > shots are coming in as TIFFs.

    > Just a few days ago Helmut Michels announced in COV the release of version
    > 9.4 of the data plotting software DISLIN. To quote Helmut (I usually likeo
    > trim my posts down, but this one deserves to be repeated in full);
    >

    > > Dear VMS users,

    > > I am pleased to announce version 9.4 of the data plotting software
    > > DISLIN.

    > > DISLIN is a high-level and easy to use plotting library for
    > > displaying data as curves, bar graphs, pie charts, 3D-colour plots,
    > > surfaces, contours and maps. Several output formats are supported
    > > such as X11, VGA, PostScript, PDF, CGM, WMF, HPGL, TIFF, GIF, PNG,
    > > BMP and SVG.

    > > The software is available for the most C, Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95
    > > compilers. Plotting extensions for the interpreting languages Perl,
    > > Python and Java are also supported.

    > > DISLIN distributions and manuals in PDF, PostScript and HTML format
    > > are available from the DISLIN home page

    > > * * *http://www.dislin.de

    > > and via FTP from the server

    > > * * *ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/grafik/dislin

    > > All DISLIN distributions are free for non-commercial use. Licenses
    > > for commercial use are available from the sitehttp://www.dislin.de.

    > > *-------------------
    > > * Helmut Michels
    > > * Max Planck Institute for
    > > * Solar System Research * * * * * * * Phone: +49 5556 979-334
    > > * Max-Planck-Str. 2 * * * * * * * * * Fax *: +49 5556 979-240
    > > * D-37191 Katlenburg-Lindau * * * * * Mail : mich...@mps.mpg.de

    > Peter Weaverwww.weaverconsulting.ca* *http://www.openvmsvirtualization.com...ualization.com
    > Winner of the 2007 OpenVMS.org Readers' Choice Award for System
    > Management/Performance

    I looked at this, and it appears to be very good indeed. I am not sure
    it will let me overlay on an existing photo image, but I have not read
    the entire manual yet. Thanks for the pointer.

    -Paul

  7. Re: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    On Oct 19, 11:30*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > PR wrote:
    > > I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very
    > > large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set
    > > is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed
    > > on sat shots of the ocean.

    > Is the output going on a display with interactive point and click, or
    > going to a file as some static image file (.jpeg, .tiff etc) ?
    >
    > note that with VMS, any language can call routines from another language
    > *(with some caveats).
    >
    > If you create one image and wish to overlay it over another, there is
    > imagemagik that is available on VMS.

    I believe it will be a static image. I did not realize that ImageMagik
    was ported to VMS. That is certainly one thing to look at!

    Thanks
    -Paul

  8. Re: Using Fortran to generate graphics

    On Oct 20, 1:47*pm, PR wrote:
    > I was directed to an interesting task today. I need to process a very
    > large dataset and create a series of graphics from them. The data set
    > is oceanic environmental data and they want to see the data overlayed
    > on sat shots of the ocean.
    >
    > Fun.
    >
    > Since the graphics do not have to be real time, I was thinking of
    > doing it on a VMS system (IA64). I was wondering if anyone would care
    > to share their thoughts on how doable this is, and on any graphics
    > libraries available for Fortran 90. They grpahics need to be in some
    > hi-res format, but at a minimum, a TIFF will do I suppose. The sat
    > shots are coming in as TIFFs.
    >
    > There is no hurry on this, I have several weeks to propose the "how"
    > and several months to actually "do."
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Paul
    >
    > P.S. By "very large", I mean the data to overlay for each sat shot is
    > just shy of a terabyte.
    >
    > -Paul

    The traditional method is to use GKS
    it seems it even made it to the IA64