What does this mean? - VMS

This is a discussion on What does this mean? - VMS ; The VMS 7.3-2 command: HELP DEFINE /KEY PARA Provides this in the text: "You can also press Ctrl/V to enable keys F7 to F14. Note that Ctrl/V will not enable the F6 key." What does this mean? Ctrl/V appears to ...

  1. What does this mean?

    The VMS 7.3-2 command:

    HELP DEFINE /KEY PARA

    Provides this in the text:

    "You can also press Ctrl/V to enable keys F7 to F14. Note that Ctrl/V
    will not enable the F6 key."

    What does this mean?

    Ctrl/V appears to do nothing.

  2. Re: What does this mean?

    On Oct 16, 8:00 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > The VMS 7.3-2 command:
    >
    > HELP DEFINE /KEY PARA
    >
    > Provides this in the text:
    >
    > "You can also press Ctrl/V to enable keys F7 to F14. Note that Ctrl/V
    > will not enable the F6 key."
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > Ctrl/V appears to do nothing.

    example: (on my keyboard)
    pressing F8 does nothing
    $ define/key F8 help
    pressing F8 does nothing
    pressing ctrl/V THEN F8 does something

    Dave

  3. Re: What does this mean?

    David B Sneddon wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 8:00 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    >> The VMS 7.3-2 command:
    >>
    >> HELP DEFINE /KEY PARA
    >>
    >> Provides this in the text:
    >>
    >> "You can also press Ctrl/V to enable keys F7 to F14. Note that Ctrl/V
    >> will not enable the F6 key."
    >>
    >> What does this mean?
    >>
    >> Ctrl/V appears to do nothing.

    > example: (on my keyboard)
    > pressing F8 does nothing
    > $ define/key F8 help
    > pressing F8 does nothing
    > pressing ctrl/V THEN F8 does something
    >
    > Dave

    Yes, I reproduced this exactly on my PC keyboard (X-windowed to a VMS machine).

    But there must be a bigger picture. What's behind it all? What's the idea?

    Thanks.

    . fred bach . music at triumf dot c a

  4. Re: What does this mean?

    On Oct 23, 4:28*pm, Fred Bach wrote:
    > David B Sneddon wrote:
    > > On Oct 16, 8:00 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > >> The VMS 7.3-2 command:

    > >> HELP DEFINE /KEY PARA

    > >> Provides this in the text:

    > >> "You can also press Ctrl/V to enable keys F7 to F14. Note that Ctrl/V
    > >> will not enable the F6 key."

    > >> What does this mean?

    > >> Ctrl/V appears to do nothing.

    > > example: (on my keyboard)
    > > pressing F8 does nothing
    > > $ define/key F8 help
    > > pressing F8 does nothing
    > > pressing ctrl/V THEN F8 does something

    > > Dave

    > * Yes, I reproduced this exactly on my PC keyboard (X-windowed to a VMSmachine).
    >
    > * But there must be a bigger picture. *What's behind it all? * What's the idea?
    >
    > * Thanks.
    >
    > *. fred bach . *music at triumf dot c a- Hide quoted text -

    I think it has something to do with the fact that f6 thru f14 are used
    in line editing (enabled by SET TERM/LINE) and f6 is a special case
    since it causes a cancel when line editing is enabled

+ Reply to Thread