Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch? - VMS

This is a discussion on Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch? - VMS ; I've just ordered a Dell PowerConnect 5448 and was reading through the manual and came across the following which I found quite intriguing / amusing: 01-Jan-xxxx 01:01:59 %INIT-I-InitCompleted: Initialization task is completed 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of running configuration items ...

  1. Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch?

    I've just ordered a Dell PowerConnect 5448 and was reading through the
    manual and came across the following which I found quite intriguing /
    amusing:

    01-Jan-xxxx 01:01:59 %INIT-I-InitCompleted: Initialization task is
    completed
    01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of running
    configuration items
    loaded: 0
    01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of startup
    configuration items
    loaded: 0
    01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:01 %Box-I-SFP-PRESENT-CHNG: unit_id 1 SFP 0 status
    is not present.

    Interesting message code format, no? And the date is of course in a
    very VMS-like format too.

    Sampsa

  2. Re: Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch?

    In article <0799490b-cac1-408d-9d46-07e532ccc29b@e17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    > I've just ordered a Dell PowerConnect 5448 and was reading through the
    > manual and came across the following which I found quite intriguing /
    > amusing:
    >
    > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:01:59 %INIT-I-InitCompleted: Initialization task is
    > completed
    > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of running
    > configuration items
    > loaded: 0
    > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of startup
    > configuration items
    > loaded: 0
    > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:01 %Box-I-SFP-PRESENT-CHNG: unit_id 1 SFP 0 status
    > is not present.
    >

    > Interesting message code format, no? And the date is of course in a
    > very VMS-like format too.

    Could be because the box appears to be using something connected to
    VxWorks5.5.1. Wasn't/isn't that an offshoot of VMS?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  3. Re: Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch?

    On Oct 15, 8:29 pm, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article <0799490b-cac1-408d-9d46-07e532ccc...@e17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    > samp...@gmail.com writes:
    >

    > > I've just ordered a Dell PowerConnect 5448 and was reading through the
    > > manual and came across the following which I found quite intriguing /
    > > amusing:

    > > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:01:59 %INIT-I-InitCompleted: Initialization task is
    > > completed
    > > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of running
    > > configuration items
    > > loaded: 0
    > > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of startup
    > > configuration items
    > > loaded: 0
    > > 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:01 %Box-I-SFP-PRESENT-CHNG: unit_id 1 SFP 0 status
    > > is not present.

    > > Interesting message code format, no? And the date is of course in a
    > > very VMS-like format too.

    > Could be because the box appears to be using something connected to
    > VxWorks5.5.1. Wasn't/isn't that an offshoot of VMS?
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > billg...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    No connection between VMS and VxWorks that I'm aware of, not even when
    I was working in DEC UK embedded+realtime team (before they were sold
    off). Maybe you're confusing VxWorks with VAXELN. When DEC HQ decided
    distributed realtime executive VAXELN (which used VMS as the
    development environment and did have a few VMS-like features and
    compatibilities) wasn't going to be implemented on Alpha, they decided
    to offer a rebadged and slightly value-added Tru64-hosted VxWorks
    instead (with almost nothing in common between VxWorks and VAXELN).
    Initially it wasn't even called VxWorks (the Ultrix-hosted version was
    called DECelx).

  4. Re: Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch?

    In article <6lmul7Fcu4vcU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Could be because the box appears to be using something connected to
    > VxWorks5.5.1. Wasn't/isn't that an offshoot of VMS?

    If there is any influence from VMS on vxWorks, it seems to begin
    and end with thier support for RT-11 filesystems.

    Although vxWorks does date from a time where it would be very likely
    that it may have been originally developed on a VMS host.

  5. Re: Random: VMS inspired Dell managed switch?

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <0799490b-cac1-408d-9d46-07e532ccc29b@e17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    > sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    >> I've just ordered a Dell PowerConnect 5448 and was reading through the
    >> manual and came across the following which I found quite intriguing /
    >> amusing:
    >>
    >> 01-Jan-xxxx 01:01:59 %INIT-I-InitCompleted: Initialization task is
    >> completed
    >> 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of running
    >> configuration items
    >> loaded: 0
    >> 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:00 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of startup
    >> configuration items
    >> loaded: 0
    >> 01-Jan-xxxx 01:02:01 %Box-I-SFP-PRESENT-CHNG: unit_id 1 SFP 0 status
    >> is not present.
    >>

    >> Interesting message code format, no? And the date is of course in a
    >> very VMS-like format too.

    > Could be because the box appears to be using something connected to
    > VxWorks5.5.1. Wasn't/isn't that an offshoot of VMS?
    >
    > bill

    Nah... There's no connection between VXworks and VMS. VXworks doesn't
    have any error messages like that. It's a minimum kernel for embedded
    systems.

    I worked with it at Lucent... It's more C/Unix like than anything and
    it has a flat non-segemented memory space with no protections.

    Bill

    --
    Be comforted that in the face of all erridity and disallusionment, and
    despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in

+ Reply to Thread