PC Systems for sale - VMS

This is a discussion on PC Systems for sale - VMS ; In article , billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes: > > Did you sleep thru the last two or three weeks here? We just went over > this. Remember the thread about cut-and-paste for inputing PAKS? Hard > to do on a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <6lms8pFd34alU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Did you sleep thru the last two or three weeks here? We just went over
    > this. Remember the thread about cut-and-paste for inputing PAKS? Hard
    > to do on a terminal.

    Not hard o do on your other hobbyist system running DECwindows on
    VMS, though is it. No other OS involved.

  2. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <6lnf6pFdb8tdU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Still, not just VMS, is it? So, you think Windows is a piece of ****
    > and I think Macs are.

    Which has as much to do with why we ignore you as your other FUD.

  3. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <00A81291.8B06FBBD@sendspamhere.org>,
    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > In article <6lnf6pFdb8tdU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>In article <00A8126F.8C11E173@sendspamhere.org>,
    >> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    >>> That's bull**** and you know it. I have VAX, Alpha and Itanium boxes here
    >>> and NO WEENDOZE. All three are happily humming along without some brain-
    >>> damaged PoS from Micro$haft in the fold.

    >>Still, not just VMS, is it? So, you think Windows is a piece of ****
    >>and I think Macs are.

    > ...and here, all this time, I thought you liked unix.

    I do like Unix. We have all heard of making a silk purse out of a sow's
    ear. Mac proves the opposite is also true except it is a different part
    of the pig's anatomy. And, at the same time make all your fanatics believe
    it isn't Unix, it's OSX. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: PC Systems for sale

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <6lnf6pFdb8tdU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >> Still, not just VMS, is it? So, you think Windows is a piece of ****
    >> and I think Macs are.
    >>

    > Which has as much to do with why we ignore you as your other FUD.

    Who are "we" ?
    Which group are you talking for ?

  5. Re: PC Systems for sale

    I have Ubuntu running on my NEW PC and Both laptops
    It's still a PC!

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=
    > writes:
    >>John Santos wrote:
    >>
    >>> Talk about bull****! This statement is utter crap. All you need is a
    >>> terminal. Though hyperterminal on a PC would do, it is the worst
    >>> possible choice.

    >>Correct, Putty or (in my case) Reflection is much better.
    >>
    >>> What else would you need a PC for?

    >>Mail,

    > Mail is available on my OS X Mac or there is Evolution Mail on my Ubuntu
    > Linux. I still read most mail on VMS and only forward crap which has an
    > attachment to one of the aformentioned.
    >

    >> web,

    > Safari on my OS X Mac and Firefox on the Ununtu Linux.
    >

    >>word-processing,

    > Pages on my OS X Mac and OpenOffice Word Processor on my Ubuntu Linux.
    >

    >>calculating,

    > Calulators on my OS X Mac amd on my Ubuntu Linux.
    > Numbers on my OS X Mac and OpenOffice Spreadsheet on my Ubuntu Linux.
    > I've never in my life had to create a spreadsheet.
    >

    >> programming (not VMS,

    > My only other programming is web stuff which I can do on VMS, OSX or
    > Ubuntu.
    >

    >>PIC microcontrollers), worktime reporting, invoicing my customers,

    > Invoicing... QuickBooks on Mac OS X.
    >

    >>image/picture manegement. Just about everyting else apart from

    > There's only one app for that. As a photographer, I use Aperture.
    >

    >>mangaging the VMS servers. Including the VPN Citrix client
    >>tools to be able to access my clients sites at all.
    >>
    >>This "VMS-only" idea is making VMS more harm then anything else.

    > Who said VMS-only? Stop pushing the WEENDOZE only ****.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional
    > protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.
    > (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article
    > outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this
    > copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >>
    >> A nice table-top front-end to your VMS servers, of course ! :-)

    > VMS itself makes a better table-top front end. 8-)

    Why don't you try convincing HP of that? The 20 year old GUI they have
    leaves quite bit to be desired. Oh wait, you probably meant the VT100...

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <6lms8pFd34alU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>
    >> Did you sleep thru the last two or three weeks here? We just went over
    >> this. Remember the thread about cut-and-paste for inputing PAKS? Hard
    >> to do on a terminal.

    > Not hard o do on your other hobbyist system running DECwindows on
    > VMS, though is it. No other OS involved.

    You must have missed the part about this being the same problem
    recursively. How did you get the other system running VMS and
    DECwindows up without either a none VMS system with a GUI or
    back to trying to hand type the oh so readable PAKS by hand.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: PC Systems for sale Linux/XP Pro

    OK then... to satisfy those

    How about this

    Very quick

    NEW Island Datastore P2Duo Syhstems

    These have become very popular with our customers as we can still sell NEW
    XP Pro with these

    Intel P2CoreDuo 3Ghz Minitower
    ASUS Motherboard
    2GB Memory (2 x 1GB DDR2)
    512MB Nvidia Graphics
    250GB SATAII Disk
    CD/DVDRW-DL
    On Board Gigabit
    Keytronic Heavy Duty Keyboard and Mouse (Old IBM Style)

    Total Per System $680

    Add $140 for Windows XP Pro SP2+3 + SIMH (for VMS on PeeCee)
    Add $0 for Ubuntu 8.04
    Add $159 for 17" Widescreen 1440x900 5ms

    Shipping within the US: $26

    3 Year Warranty

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

  9. Re: PC Systems for sale Linux/XP Pro

    In article , "David Turner, islandco.com" writes:
    >OK then... to satisfy those
    >
    >How about this
    >
    >Very quick
    >
    >NEW Island Datastore P2Duo Syhstems
    >
    >These have become very popular with our customers as we can still sell NEW
    >XP Pro with these
    >
    >Intel P2CoreDuo 3Ghz Minitower
    >ASUS Motherboard
    >2GB Memory (2 x 1GB DDR2)
    >512MB Nvidia Graphics
    >250GB SATAII Disk
    >CD/DVDRW-DL
    >On Board Gigabit
    >Keytronic Heavy Duty Keyboard and Mouse (Old IBM Style)
    >
    >Total Per System $680
    >
    >Add $140 for Windows XP Pro SP2+3 + SIMH (for VMS on PeeCee)
    >Add $0 for Ubuntu 8.04
    >Add $159 for 17" Widescreen 1440x900 5ms
    >
    >Shipping within the US: $26
    >
    >3 Year Warranty

    I think you're gouging us on the Ubuntu price!

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  10. Re: PC Systems for sale Linux/XP Pro

    You're right - take off $1.00 and we'll install it for a loss !

    --

    wrote in message
    > In article , "David Turner,
    > islandco.com" writes:
    >>OK then... to satisfy those
    >>
    >>How about this
    >>
    >>Very quick
    >>
    >>NEW Island Datastore P2Duo Syhstems
    >>
    >>These have become very popular with our customers as we can still sell NEW
    >>XP Pro with these
    >>
    >>Intel P2CoreDuo 3Ghz Minitower
    >>ASUS Motherboard
    >>2GB Memory (2 x 1GB DDR2)
    >>512MB Nvidia Graphics
    >>250GB SATAII Disk
    >>CD/DVDRW-DL
    >>On Board Gigabit
    >>Keytronic Heavy Duty Keyboard and Mouse (Old IBM Style)
    >>
    >>Total Per System $680
    >>
    >>Add $140 for Windows XP Pro SP2+3 + SIMH (for VMS on PeeCee)
    >>Add $0 for Ubuntu 8.04
    >>Add $159 for 17" Widescreen 1440x900 5ms
    >>
    >>Shipping within the US: $26
    >>
    >>3 Year Warranty

    > I think you're gouging us on the Ubuntu price!
    >

    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional
    > protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.
    > (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article
    > outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this
    > copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  11. Re: PC Systems for sale Linux/XP Pro

    On Oct 16, 9:03*am, "David Turner, islandco.com"
    wrote:
    > OK then... to satisfy those
    >
    > How about this
    >
    > Very quick
    >
    > NEW Island Datastore P2Duo Syhstems
    >
    > These have become very popular with our customers as we can still sell NEW
    > XP Pro with these
    >
    > Intel P2CoreDuo 3Ghz Minitower
    > ASUS Motherboard
    > 2GB Memory (2 x 1GB DDR2)
    > 512MB Nvidia Graphics
    > 250GB SATAII Disk
    > CD/DVDRW-DL
    > On Board Gigabit
    > Keytronic Heavy Duty Keyboard and Mouse (Old IBM Style)
    >
    > Total Per System $680
    >
    > Add $140 for Windows XP Pro SP2+3 *+ SIMH *(for VMS on PeeCee)
    > Add $0 for Ubuntu 8.04
    > Add $159 for 17" Widescreen 1440x900 5ms
    >
    > Shipping within the US: $26
    >
    > 3 Year Warranty
    >
    > --
    > David B Turner

    > Island Computers US Corp
    > PO Box 86
    > Tybee GA 31328
    >
    > Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    > Email: dtur...@islandco.com
    > International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    > Fax: 912 786 8505
    > Web:www.islandco.com

    Man, it kinda sounds good, but about $200 too high I think. I know,
    you have to make a living, but PC's are becoming commodity priced, at
    least for now. With China in a meltdown, I expect to see prices rise
    dramatically, and soon.

    But in any case, the 3ghz processor is fast, but a quad core at
    2.24ghz will actually perform as well, or better.
    And the little Dell I just configured below is $799. With free
    shipping.

    Man, I don't know how you folks manage to compete. But I would buy
    from you if I needed a new PC. The keyboard alone would sell me.

    (I edited this into a readable format.)

    Date 10/16/2008 8:41:27 PM Central Standard Time
    Catalog Number 29 Retail 19

    Studio Mini-Tower:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)
    RMQ66H
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
    SP1
    1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote
    Diagnosis
    19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
    Monitor
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs
    500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    16X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Integrated Intel® GMA X4500HD Graphics
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Dell Multimedia Keyboard and Premium Optical USB Mouse
    Floppy Drive and Media Reader:
    Integrated 16-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
    Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
    Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
    Windows Vista™ Premium
    McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall,
    30-Days
    Microsoft Works 9.0
    Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

  12. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <6lotukFd8o53U3@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Why don't you try convincing HP of that? The 20 year old GUI they have
    > leaves quite bit to be desired. Oh wait, you probably meant the VT100...

    They offer the same GUI all those UNIX systems do. And in most cases
    the first thing I see those UNIX users do is pull up a shell window.

    It's not VMS' fault that HP management doesn't think VMS is a desktop
    system. And although it does not have drag and drop capabilities of
    CDE, I still find the older FileManager much more readily extensible.

    DCL started from FileManager is like tcl with Tk, but without UNIX
    bound assumptions. If I had to use CDE on UNIX again, yes, I'd load
    up tcl and Tk rather than try to extend anything CDE gives me.

    And my kids, who are wizzes on KDE and Gnome, and all that other
    stuff don't even try to keep up with tcl/Tk.

  13. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <6lou39Fd8o53U4@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > You must have missed the part about this being the same problem
    > recursively.

    No, what I saw was the part where you claimed another OS is
    _required_, then admitted it was just a matter of convinience.

    You study under W?

  14. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <6lotukFd8o53U3@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>
    >> Why don't you try convincing HP of that? The 20 year old GUI they have
    >> leaves quite bit to be desired. Oh wait, you probably meant the VT100...

    > They offer the same GUI all those UNIX systems do.

    Hardly. Surely you don't really believe that the rest of the X11 world
    has sat still since the last release of DecWindows?

    > And in most cases
    > the first thing I see those UNIX users do is pull up a shell window.

    Depends on the user and what he needs to do. I don't do my word
    processing in a shell window (although I have a professor here who
    actually does. He has always been a TEK user.) There are graphical
    tools for just about anything you need to do today. But then, admiting
    that would take away the ability to bitch about Unix's so called
    cryptic commands, wouldn't it.

    > It's not VMS' fault that HP management doesn't think VMS is a desktop
    > system.

    I never said it was. I still use VMS on the desktop. DECWindows on a
    VAXStation 3100. I like it and always have. But even you have to admit
    that it is more than a decade behind the capabilities of current X11
    implementations making it incapable of running a lot of the current
    GUI software. Even trying to run apps on other boxes with the display
    on the VMS system frequently fails because there ar things missing
    from the XServer itself.

    > And although it does not have drag and drop capabilities of
    > CDE, I still find the older FileManager much more readily extensible.

    Not sure what "extensible" means int his context but int he rest of
    the world there are at least a dozen different filemanagers with
    different feature sets available. Just pick the one that you like.

    > DCL started from FileManager is like tcl with Tk, but without UNIX
    > bound assumptions. If I had to use CDE on UNIX again, yes, I'd load
    > up tcl and Tk rather than try to extend anything CDE gives me.
    >
    > And my kids, who are wizzes on KDE and Gnome, and all that other
    > stuff don't even try to keep up with tcl/Tk.

    Probably because there is so much available that X11 has entered the
    user realm and it just isn't necessary. If you want some other feature
    it is probably already available. Except on VMS.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  15. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <6lou39Fd8o53U4@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>
    >> You must have missed the part about this being the same problem
    >> recursively.

    > No, what I saw was the part where you claimed another OS is
    > _required_, then admitted it was just a matter of convinience.
    >
    > You study under W?

    So, tell me, if VT's are the way to go what will you give me for the
    pile of 420's I still have in their original boxes? These must be
    worth a fortune today cause they are so much better than all this
    GUI stuff everybody is using. Make me an offer. I think it should
    start around $1000 a terminal. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  16. Re: PC Systems for sale

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >> In article <6lotukFd8o53U3@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you try convincing HP of that? The 20 year old GUI they have
    >>> leaves quite bit to be desired. Oh wait, you probably meant the VT100...

    >> They offer the same GUI all those UNIX systems do.

    > Hardly. Surely you don't really believe that the rest of the X11 world
    > has sat still since the last release of DecWindows?
    >
    >> And in most cases
    >> the first thing I see those UNIX users do is pull up a shell window.

    > Depends on the user and what he needs to do. I don't do my word
    > processing in a shell window (although I have a professor here who
    > actually does. He has always been a TEK user.) There are graphical

    TEK?? Did you mean TeX?

    It's not really a "word processor", it's more like a document processor.
    It's overkill for writing a letter but great if you are writing books,
    reports, plans, etc. It has been years since I used TeX and when I did,
    I used it with the LaTeX macro package.

  17. Re: PC Systems for sale

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >> In article <6lou39Fd8o53U4@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>> You must have missed the part about this being the same problem
    >>> recursively.

    >> No, what I saw was the part where you claimed another OS is
    >> _required_, then admitted it was just a matter of convinience.
    >>
    >> You study under W?

    > So, tell me, if VT's are the way to go what will you give me for the
    > pile of 420's I still have in their original boxes? These must be
    > worth a fortune today cause they are so much better than all this
    > GUI stuff everybody is using. Make me an offer. I think it should
    > start around $1000 a terminal. :-)
    >
    > bill

    Have you considered using them to check erosion in gullies?

  18. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <48F8A9EA.4080508@comcast.net>,
    "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    >>> They offer the same GUI all those UNIX systems do.

    >> Hardly. Surely you don't really believe that the rest of the X11 world
    >> has sat still since the last release of DecWindows?
    >>
    >>> And in most cases
    >>> the first thing I see those UNIX users do is pull up a shell window.

    >> Depends on the user and what he needs to do. I don't do my word
    >> processing in a shell window (although I have a professor here who
    >> actually does. He has always been a TEK user.) There are graphical

    > TEK?? Did you mean TeX?

    Oops, yes. I was thinking something else while I was typing, Damn
    multi-tasking. Maybe I need a cpu upgrade or something. :-)

    > It's not really a "word processor", it's more like a document processor.
    > It's overkill for writing a letter but great if you are writing books,
    > reports, plans, etc. It has been years since I used TeX and when I did,
    > I used it with the LaTeX macro package.

    He uses it for all his class handouts, exams, a lot of his letters. He
    frequently turns out one-pagers with it as fast as someone else would
    with a word processor. I tried to get him ot use LyX but after trying it
    he still prefered the old way. I guess when your good at it and don't
    have to lookup how to do something it isn't really hard. I haven't
    used it in years and actually have more experince with things like Univac's
    Documnet Processor (from my 1100/Exec-8 days), the University of Maryland
    Document Processor and Runoff from the Prime. And, of course, nroff.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  19. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <6lrlg0Fdcu60U2@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >In article ,
    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >> In article <6lou39Fd8o53U4@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>>
    >>> You must have missed the part about this being the same problem
    >>> recursively.

    >> No, what I saw was the part where you claimed another OS is
    >> _required_, then admitted it was just a matter of convinience.
    >>
    >> You study under W?

    >So, tell me, if VT's are the way to go what will you give me for the
    >pile of 420's I still have in their original boxes? These must be
    >worth a fortune today cause they are so much better than all this
    >GUI stuff everybody is using. Make me an offer. I think it should
    >start around $1000 a terminal. :-)

    VT420s can be purchased for about %20 of your quoted figure, so you'll be
    the proud owner your boxed VT420s for the foreseeable future.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  20. Re: PC Systems for sale

    In article <00A813D4.672CB2D5@sendspamhere.org>,
    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > In article <6lrlg0Fdcu60U2@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >>In article ,
    >> koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    >>> No, what I saw was the part where you claimed another OS is
    >>> _required_, then admitted it was just a matter of convinience.
    >>>
    >>> You study under W?

    >>So, tell me, if VT's are the way to go what will you give me for the
    >>pile of 420's I still have in their original boxes? These must be
    >>worth a fortune today cause they are so much better than all this
    >>GUI stuff everybody is using. Make me an offer. I think it should
    >>start around $1000 a terminal. :-)

    > VT420s can be purchased for about %20 of your quoted figure, so you'll be
    > the proud owner your boxed VT420s for the foreseeable future.

    I know their real value. I was not the one saying VT's are just as
    good as consoles as PC's. :-) I actually use them for, wait for it,
    consoles on my Vaxen and PDP's. Oh yeah, care to guess what I paid
    for them? I got more than a dozen. They used to be used by our
    registration people so they only got used 8 days a year until retired
    so they are still just like brand new. Guess what replaced them? :-)