FTP between Multinet and WINSCP - VMS

This is a discussion on FTP between Multinet and WINSCP - VMS ; Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP? From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check before I tell the customer it's ...

  1. FTP between Multinet and WINSCP

    Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
    with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?

    From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check
    before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla
    instead.

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

  2. RE: FTP between Multinet and WINSCP

    I have only used WINSCP as an SFTP client with MultiNet (works fine).
    I know that the developer was working on a re-write such that it could
    do FTP as well, but I haven't tried it recently.

    Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
    with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?

    From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check

    before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla

    instead.

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

  3. RE: FTP between Multinet and WINSCP

    I installed the latest version and connected via FTP with Wireshark
    running.
    I see that WinSCP sent "LIST -a" to get a listing of the files in the
    directory.
    MultiNet FTP interprets this as looking for the file "-a" and finds (and
    displays) nothing.
    RFC 959 (FTP) says that the argument to LIST is a pathname, not Unix
    flags, so MultiNet FTP is right and WinSCP is not compatible as it
    expects to be able to pass Unix flags.

    Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
    with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?

    From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check

    before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla

    instead.

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

  4. RE: FTP between Multinet and WINSCP

    The Berkeley Unix ftp server historically just added the arguments to LIST
    to a "ls -l" command, letting the shell expand any wildcards. This
    also allowed arguments to be specified. WinSCP is obviously depending
    on this behavior.

    I wonder if it does the same for a Windows FTP server?

    Craig

    Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
    with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?

    From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check

    before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla

    instead.

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

  5. Re: FTP between Multinet and WINSCP

    In article <7Y2Jk.27259$j7.490078@news.indigo.ie>, Tom Wade writes:

    > Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
    > with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?
    >
    > From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check
    > before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla
    > instead.

    I used to use winscp, but after an update it quit working a few years
    ago. I moved to Filezilla and haven't looked back.

    I suspect the winscp folks don't test against any stack on VMS.

+ Reply to Thread