DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA) - VMS

This is a discussion on DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA) - VMS ; i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a front acces storage cage, does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying the full price. i live in Amsterdam ...

  1. DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a front
    acces storage cage,

    does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying
    the full price.

    i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

    With regards,

    Robin
    robinschip at hotmail dot com

  2. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    The only thing available that we have to buy is the 3x-BA15B
    This is for the DS15 but works in the DS10 - we would need to rewire it
    They are pricey - our cost is $499 so we would have to sell it for $599
    You might find one on Ebay cheaper - good luck !

    David

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "The Spriteman" wrote in message
    >i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a
    >front
    > acces storage cage,
    >
    > does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying
    > the full price.
    >
    > i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    >
    > With regards,
    >
    > Robin
    > robinschip at hotmail dot com

  3. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    On Oct 11, 12:19*am, The Spriteman wrote:
    > i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a front
    > acces storage cage,
    >
    > does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying
    > the full price.
    >
    > i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    >
    > With regards,
    >
    > Robin
    > robinschip at hotmail dot com

    Hi Robin:

    We can get you the DS10 front access cage (3X-BA10B-AA) for $395.00
    Please let me know if I can help.

    Regards,

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414
    AOL IM: lenPSDS

  4. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    Really?
    Where?
    I have been looking for these and will willingly pay that price
    How many do you have available? I know HP doesn't have them

    --

    "Len Whitwer" wrote in message
    On Oct 11, 12:19 am, The Spriteman wrote:
    > i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a
    > front
    > acces storage cage,
    >
    > does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying
    > the full price.
    >
    > i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    >
    > With regards,
    >
    > Robin
    > robinschip at hotmail dot com

    Hi Robin:

    We can get you the DS10 front access cage (3X-BA10B-AA) for $395.00
    Please let me know if I can help.

    Regards,

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414
    AOL IM: lenPSDS

  5. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    On Oct 14, 8:53*am, "David Turner, islandco.com"
    wrote:
    > Really?
    > Where?
    > I have been looking for these and will willingly pay that price
    > How many do you have available? *I know HP doesn't have them
    >
    > --
    > David B Turner

    > Island Computers US Corp
    > PO Box 86
    > Tybee GA 31328
    >
    > Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    > Email: dtur...@islandco.com
    > International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    > Fax: 912 786 8505
    > Web:www.islandco.com
    >
    > ============================================="Len Whitwer" wrote in message

    > On Oct 11, 12:19 am, The Spriteman wrote:
    >
    > > i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a
    > > front
    > > acces storage cage,

    > > does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying
    > > the full price.

    > > i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

    > > With regards,

    > > Robin
    > > robinschip at hotmail dot com

    > Hi Robin:
    >
    > We can get you the DS10 front access cage (3X-BA10B-AA) for $395.00
    > Please let me know if I can help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -Len Whitwer
    > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > Woodinville, WA *98072
    > e-mail * *mailto:l...@psds.com
    > Internet:http://www.psds.com
    > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > Fax: (425) 488-6414
    > AOL IM: *lenPSDS

    Robin / David

    Yes!!! I have one in stock and can get you 4 more if you need
    that many!!! Please call me directly.

    Len Whitwer

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414
    AOL IM: lenPSDS

  6. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    On Oct 11, 12:19*am, The Spriteman wrote:
    > i have a DS10 with internal Storage cage, but now i am searching for a front
    > acces storage cage,
    >
    > does anywhone here know what the best way is to find one? whithout paying
    > the full price.
    >
    > i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    >
    > With regards,
    >
    > Robin
    > robinschip at hotmail dot com

    Robin:

    A CHEAP way to go would be to buy a BA356 external shelf or pedestal
    and attach to a SCSI controller in the DS10 and then you could run up
    to 7 more drives if you want.

    I could sell you the sub-system as below if interested.

    o BA356 7 slot shelf w/power supply $50
    o PCI SCSI controller w/cable $50
    o DS-RZ1CB-VW 4gb disk x 7units $50
    Total $150.00

    Have many larger drives available form 4GB to 300GB for this shelf.
    (Prices vary depending on size)

    Let me know if I can help,

    Len

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  7. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    Len Whitwer wrote:

    > A CHEAP way to go would be to buy a BA356 external shelf or pedestal
    > and attach to a SCSI controller in the DS10 and then you could run up
    > to 7 more drives if you want.
    >
    > I could sell you the sub-system as below if interested.
    >
    > o BA356 7 slot shelf w/power supply $50
    > o PCI SCSI controller w/cable $50
    > o DS-RZ1CB-VW 4gb disk x 7units $50
    > Total $150.00
    >
    > Have many larger drives available form 4GB to 300GB for this shelf.
    > (Prices vary depending on size)
    >
    > Let me know if I can help,
    >
    > Len

    Len,

    Thnx for the offer, i already have a BA356 with 5*18,2gb and 2*146gb disks.
    the only problem is that the largegst Logical drive i can make is about
    32gb. and that is not enough for me (that's why i want the 2*146gb disks
    direct connected to the system.)

    Robin

  8. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    > the largegst Logical drive i can make is about
    > 32gb. and that is not enough for me (that's why i want the 2*146gb disks

    Isn't that only the case for RAID arrays? I thought JBODS can be any
    size.

  9. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    Dave Gullen wrote:

    >> the largegst Logical drive i can make is about
    >> 32gb. and that is not enough for me (that's why i want the 2*146gb disks

    > Isn't that only the case for RAID arrays? I thought JBODS can be any
    > size.

    hmm, that could be, i have to try that one out. but then i wanted to have
    some sort of redundancy (raid 1),
    but i can also use HBVS or software raid to get some redundancy.

  10. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    Dave Gullen wrote:
    >> the largegst Logical drive i can make is about
    >> 32gb. and that is not enough for me (that's why i want the 2*146gb disks

    > Isn't that only the case for RAID arrays? I thought JBODS can be any
    > size.

    There are MANY cases for RAID arrays. Making huge logical drives is the
    least of them!

    RAID 1 puts identical data on two or more physical drives. Any member
    of the set can respond to a read request. Smart hardware controllers
    will read from the disk whose heads are closest, in movement time, to
    the data requested. All drives in the set must execute a write request.
    All members of the set but one can fail and you can still access your data!

    RAID 5 combines three or more identical physical disks into one logical
    disk. A RAID 5 set with N members has a capacity of N-1 disks and can
    lose any single member of the set without loss of data or access to data.

    You can take N random disk drives and mount them as a volume set. The
    set will have the capacity to store the sum of the capacities of the
    individual members. Lose any one member and you are totally hosed!
    I've done this to make space for Oracle redo files. There are not very
    many other applications in which I would feel comfortable using a volume
    set!

    Note that technology has improved to the point where you can buy drives
    with capacities of 300 GB or more!

    --
    draco vulgaris

  11. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    In article <6qednUqtnYznDWXVnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Richard B.
    Gilbert" writes:

    > There are MANY cases for RAID arrays. Making huge logical drives is the
    > least of them!
    >
    > RAID 1 puts identical data on two or more physical drives. Any member
    > of the set can respond to a read request. Smart hardware controllers
    > will read from the disk whose heads are closest, in movement time, to
    > the data requested. All drives in the set must execute a write request.
    > All members of the set but one can fail and you can still access your data!
    >
    > RAID 5 combines three or more identical physical disks into one logical
    > disk. A RAID 5 set with N members has a capacity of N-1 disks and can
    > lose any single member of the set without loss of data or access to data.

    It is not uncommon to combine these two.

    > Note that technology has improved to the point where you can buy drives
    > with capacities of 300 GB or more!

    Just today, I saw a sign advertising a 1-TB USB drive for EUR 99.95.

  12. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    > In article <6qednUqtnYznDWXVnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Richard B.
    > Gilbert" writes:
    >
    >> There are MANY cases for RAID arrays. Making huge logical drives is the
    >> least of them!
    >>
    >> RAID 1 puts identical data on two or more physical drives. Any member
    >> of the set can respond to a read request. Smart hardware controllers
    >> will read from the disk whose heads are closest, in movement time, to
    >> the data requested. All drives in the set must execute a write request.
    >> All members of the set but one can fail and you can still access your data!
    >>
    >> RAID 5 combines three or more identical physical disks into one logical
    >> disk. A RAID 5 set with N members has a capacity of N-1 disks and can
    >> lose any single member of the set without loss of data or access to data.

    > It is not uncommon to combine these two.
    >
    >> Note that technology has improved to the point where you can buy drives
    >> with capacities of 300 GB or more!

    > Just today, I saw a sign advertising a 1-TB USB drive for EUR 99.95.

    Yes, but does it work with VAX/Alpha/Itanic VMS?

  13. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    In article <57SdnUeNlY1pkWTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@comcast.com>, "Richard B.
    Gilbert" writes:

    > > Just today, I saw a sign advertising a 1-TB USB drive for EUR 99.95.

    > Yes, but does it work with VAX/Alpha/Itanic VMS?

    Since it's USB, my guess is at most Itanium, but since that is
    "industry-standard" OF COURSE it will work. :-|

  14. Re: DS10 front access storage cage (3X-BA10B-AA)

    > In article <57SdnUeNlY1pkWTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@comcast.com>, "Richard B.
    > Gilbert" writes:
    >
    >> > Just today, I saw a sign advertising a 1-TB USB drive for EUR 99.95.

    >> Yes, but does it work with VAX/Alpha/Itanic VMS?

    > Since it's USB, my guess is at most Itanium, but since that is
    > "industry-standard" OF COURSE it will work. :-|

    in my case it is not the question if it works but how reliable is the
    hardware and can be sure can see my data when ever i want (perhaps in 10
    years)
    that's why i want to transfer it to VMS systems, becouse i know it is
    reliable (and you can't always say that about "customer" electronics!!!)

    but with the differance in price i think i am cheaper off buying 3 * 1 TB
    disks, and connect them to 3 PC's with Charon VAX on it and make it a nice
    cluster. (or some thinge like that)

+ Reply to Thread