LS1-11 Graphics Boards - VMS

This is a discussion on LS1-11 Graphics Boards - VMS ; We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII. Slots 7 & 8 have LS1-11 graphics boards made by Ramtek. Anybody know of these boards? Do (4) spares still exist in the world? Inquiring minds want to know. ...

  1. LS1-11 Graphics Boards

    We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII. Slots
    7 & 8 have LS1-11 graphics boards made by Ramtek. Anybody know of
    these boards? Do (4) spares still exist in the world? Inquiring minds
    want to know.

    John Hession
    Account Manager
    Puget Sound Data Systems
    19501 144th Ave, N.E. #D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    john@PSDS.com
    tel: 425-488-0710
    fax: 425-488-6414
    toll-free: 1-866-857-0710
    AOL IM: johnPSDS

  2. Re: LS1-11 Graphics Boards

    In article
    ,
    JohnPSDS writes:

    > We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII.

    Why? Why not just pick up a few used MicroVaxes for free?

  3. Re: LS1-11 Graphics Boards

    On Oct 10, 3:26*pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > JohnPSDS writes:
    > > We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII.

    > Why? *Why not just pick up a few used MicroVaxes for free?

    These boards are necessary to their application and go out to some
    graphics engine and on to process controllers of some sort.

  4. Re: LS1-11 Graphics Boards

    > In article
    > ,
    > JohnPSDS writes:
    >
    >> We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII.

    > Why? Why not just pick up a few used MicroVaxes for free?

    Did you miss the keyword "clone"? They don't want just random bits of
    hardware, they want to configure machines to be identical with what they
    have. It may be that they need to have exactly the same hardware and
    firmware versions as they have in existing machines.

    It's not impossible but I don't think it's easy.

  5. Re: LS1-11 Graphics Boards

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:49:13 -0700, JohnPSDS wrote:

    > We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII. Slots
    > 7 & 8 have LS1-11 graphics boards made by Ramtek. Anybody know of
    > these boards? Do (4) spares still exist in the world? Inquiring minds
    > want to know.
    >
    > John Hession
    > Account Manager
    > Puget Sound Data Systems
    > 19501 144th Ave, N.E. #D-100
    > Woodinville, WA 98072
    > john@PSDS.com
    > tel: 425-488-0710
    > fax: 425-488-6414
    > toll-free: 1-866-857-0710
    > AOL IM: johnPSDS

    John, you might also post the part number if you have it.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: LS1-11 Graphics Boards

    In article , JohnPSDS writes:
    > We have a government client who wants to clone their MicroVaxII. Slots
    > 7 & 8 have LS1-11 graphics boards made by Ramtek. Anybody know of
    > these boards? Do (4) spares still exist in the world? Inquiring minds
    > want to know.

    A quick google search shows that these were used as parts of an
    intelligent graphics terminal. I.E. once you loaded data from the
    host you could do processing within the "terminal" without using
    the host CPU.

    That's pretty old technology. I don't know who made the one I used,
    but it's been almost two decades. Looks like Ramtek supported both
    UNIBUS and Qbus versions of their LSI based board. They may have
    been basing their board on a standard DEC part.

    There are still companies with Ramtek in their names, but it doesn't
    look like any are in that business. And google didn't point me to the
    usual list of refurbushed hardware vendors like it would for lots of
    other parts.

    Good luck. Nowdays if I was implementing that kind of system, I'd
    probably start with an EV5 or later Alpha workstation, or an Itanium
    with a graphics card, and replace the LSI based operations with host
    based operations.

    Or I'd go with a standard graphics/mathematics package like IDL or
    Matlab, neither of which support VMS (anymore).

+ Reply to Thread