Re: media of old VMS versions - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: media of old VMS versions - VMS ; From: "Richard B. Gilbert" > ISTR In the words of a very wise man, "[...] knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." The VMS FAQ exists to obviate recollection from a weak memory. > that ...

  1. Re: media of old VMS versions

    From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    > ISTR

    In the words of a very wise man, "[...] knowledge is stronger than
    memory, and we should not trust the weaker." The VMS FAQ exists to
    obviate recollection from a weak memory.

    > that MicroVAX 3100s have some restrictions on the size of disks
    > they will boot from.

    The size restriction is on the boot disk when the system does a crash
    dump. You can normally still boot from larger disks, but your data are
    at risk if the system crashes, and the firmware mislocates the dump
    file. Perhaps there was a reason that I suggested a 1GB disk, not
    anything larger.

    > Before you waste big bucks on GB SCSI disks, check
    > out what's supported.

    It may be possible to "waste big bucks" on a 1GB SCSI disk, but it
    can't be very easy. The list of "supported" disks is pretty short. The
    list of disks which will work is much longer.

    > I think you can use just about anything for data
    > but there are restrictions in the firmware that limit the size disk you
    > can boot from. Actually, it's not the size per se, but everything you
    > need to boot the system must be in the FIRST X megabytes of the disk.

    More critically, the dump file needs to be in the first GB, but read
    the FAQ. And don't believe everything you read here.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: media of old VMS versions

    I have some working 1GB disks for a few bucks if someone needs one

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Steven M. Schweda" wrote in message
    > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >
    >> ISTR

    > In the words of a very wise man, "[...] knowledge is stronger than
    > memory, and we should not trust the weaker." The VMS FAQ exists to
    > obviate recollection from a weak memory.
    >
    >> that MicroVAX 3100s have some restrictions on the size of disks
    >> they will boot from.

    > The size restriction is on the boot disk when the system does a crash
    > dump. You can normally still boot from larger disks, but your data are
    > at risk if the system crashes, and the firmware mislocates the dump
    > file. Perhaps there was a reason that I suggested a 1GB disk, not
    > anything larger.
    >
    >> Before you waste big bucks on GB SCSI disks, check
    >> out what's supported.

    > It may be possible to "waste big bucks" on a 1GB SCSI disk, but it
    > can't be very easy. The list of "supported" disks is pretty short. The
    > list of disks which will work is much longer.
    >
    >> I think you can use just about anything for data
    >> but there are restrictions in the firmware that limit the size disk you
    >> can boot from. Actually, it's not the size per se, but everything you
    >> need to boot the system must be in the FIRST X megabytes of the disk.

    > More critically, the dump file needs to be in the first GB, but read
    > the FAQ. And don't believe everything you read here.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  3. Re: media of old VMS versions

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:

    > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >
    > > ISTR

    > In the words of a very wise man, "[...] knowledge is stronger than
    > memory, and we should not trust the weaker." The VMS FAQ exists to
    > obviate recollection from a weak memory.
    >
    > > that MicroVAX 3100s have some restrictions on the size of disks
    > > they will boot from.

    > The size restriction is on the boot disk when the system does a crash
    > dump. You can normally still boot from larger disks, but your data are
    > at risk if the system crashes, and the firmware mislocates the dump
    > file. Perhaps there was a reason that I suggested a 1GB disk, not anything larger.

    When I changed the original DEC disk in my Vaxstation 3100 for a later
    SCSI one, there was a problem with Tagged Command Queuing which made
    the disk periodically thrash itself. I never did investigate it fully,
    as the disk did work ok.

    One to watch out for if upgrading to a non DEC/larger disk.

    Cheers,

    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread