Re: media of old VMS versions - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: media of old VMS versions - VMS ; From: shadoooo > The 3100 has some problem to boot the OS. Thre disks (two RZ23) seems > to work, but if I boot it, only the first row of text presenting VMS > 5.3 appears, then the system seems ...

  1. Re: media of old VMS versions

    From: shadoooo

    > The 3100 has some problem to boot the OS. Thre disks (two RZ23) seems
    > to work, but if I boot it, only the first row of text presenting VMS
    > 5.3 appears, then the system seems to search something on all other
    > SCSI devices connected, in sequence, until an HALT error appears...

    Sounds as if your hardware is not all that it should be.

    Is that a MicroVAX 3100 or a VAXstation 3100?

    No matter how old the VMS version, I would look for a nice 1GB SCSI
    disk to use instead of an RZ23. If your RZ23's still work, you can
    always find them new homes in some old Macintoshes, where 100MB would
    look big.

    I would not bother with any VMS version older than V5.5-2, which is
    the last of the V5 series. If you think that CD images of V5.4,
    V5.5(-2), or something newer might be useful, send me some e-mail.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: media of old VMS versions

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: shadoooo
    >
    >> The 3100 has some problem to boot the OS. Thre disks (two RZ23) seems
    >> to work, but if I boot it, only the first row of text presenting VMS
    >> 5.3 appears, then the system seems to search something on all other
    >> SCSI devices connected, in sequence, until an HALT error appears...

    > Sounds as if your hardware is not all that it should be.
    >
    > Is that a MicroVAX 3100 or a VAXstation 3100?
    >
    > No matter how old the VMS version, I would look for a nice 1GB SCSI
    > disk to use instead of an RZ23. If your RZ23's still work, you can
    > always find them new homes in some old Macintoshes, where 100MB would
    > look big.
    >
    > I would not bother with any VMS version older than V5.5-2, which is
    > the last of the V5 series. If you think that CD images of V5.4,
    > V5.5(-2), or something newer might be useful, send me some e-mail.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    ???????

    ISTR that MicroVAX 3100s have some restrictions on the size of disks
    they will boot from. Before you waste big bucks on GB SCSI disks, check
    out what's supported. I think you can use just about anything for data
    but there are restrictions in the firmware that limit the size disk you
    can boot from. Actually, it's not the size per se, but everything you
    need to boot the system must be in the FIRST X megabytes of the disk.

  3. Re: media of old VMS versions

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:16:14 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >> From: shadoooo
    >>
    >>> The 3100 has some problem to boot the OS. Thre disks (two RZ23) seems
    >>> to work, but if I boot it, only the first row of text presenting VMS
    >>> 5.3 appears, then the system seems to search something on all other
    >>> SCSI devices connected, in sequence, until an HALT error appears...

    >> Sounds as if your hardware is not all that it should be.
    >> Is that a MicroVAX 3100 or a VAXstation 3100?
    >> No matter how old the VMS version, I would look for a nice 1GB SCSI
    >> disk to use instead of an RZ23. If your RZ23's still work, you can
    >> always find them new homes in some old Macintoshes, where 100MB would
    >> look big.
    >> I would not bother with any VMS version older than V5.5-2, which is
    >> the last of the V5 series. If you think that CD images of V5.4,
    >> V5.5(-2), or something newer might be useful, send me some e-mail.

    >> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    >> 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    >> Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    > ???????
    >
    > ISTR that MicroVAX 3100s have some restrictions on the size of disks
    > they will boot from. Before you waste big bucks on GB SCSI disks, check
    > out what's supported. I think you can use just about anything for data
    > but there are restrictions in the firmware that limit the size disk you
    > can boot from. Actually, it's not the size per se, but everything you
    > need to boot the system must be in the FIRST X megabytes of the disk.

    This comes up from time to time and as I recall (I think Hoff responded to
    this)
    there is an address field in the ROM that isn't wide enough so it will
    overwrite
    itself for anything larger. I have a patched ROM that I got from Wolfgang
    Moeller
    but you would have to have the ability to burn some PROMs that are likely
    no longer
    available.

    google for Moeller VAX ROM

    --