Using an Infoserver - VMS

This is a discussion on Using an Infoserver - VMS ; OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk. :-) I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good time. What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot ...

  1. Using an Infoserver

    OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk. :-)

    I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good time.
    What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot VMS systems)? I thought
    it would share devices among multiple machines. Correct? What protocol
    does it use? Is it likely that I could share devices with my PDP-11's?
    Or, even more interesting possibility, can I boot a PDP-11 from an Infoserver?

    The long NEPA winter is coming and I need to get some projects ready to
    occupy my time. I think some VMS related projects might be fun and maybe
    even of value to people here.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: Using an Infoserver

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk. :-)
    >
    > I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good time.
    > What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot VMS systems)? I thought
    > it would share devices among multiple machines. Correct? What protocol
    > does it use? Is it likely that I could share devices with my PDP-11's?
    > Or, even more interesting possibility, can I boot a PDP-11 from an Infoserver?
    >
    > The long NEPA winter is coming and I need to get some projects ready to
    > occupy my time. I think some VMS related projects might be fun and maybe
    > even of value to people here.
    >
    > bill

    Here's some links to information about Infoservers and their features
    and protocols:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73fina...17pro_097.html

    http://h30266.www3.hp.com/masterinde...d_004ee544.txt

    Regards,

    Kari

  3. Re: Using an Infoserver

    Kari Uusimäki vaguely mentioned on 9-10-2008 21:25:

    > Here's some links to information about Infoservers and their features
    > and protocols:
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73fina...17pro_097.html
    >
    > http://h30266.www3.hp.com/masterinde...d_004ee544.txt

    Interesting reading. What we now call iSCSI, Digital had it back then.
    Serving CD, disks, tapes and "partitions" (disk containers).

    /Wilm

  4. Re: Using an Infoserver

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk. :-)
    >
    > I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good time.
    > What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot VMS systems)? I thought
    > it would share devices among multiple machines. Correct? What protocol
    > does it use? Is it likely that I could share devices with my PDP-11's?
    > Or, even more interesting possibility, can I boot a PDP-11 from an Infoserver?
    >
    > The long NEPA winter is coming and I need to get some projects ready to
    > occupy my time. I think some VMS related projects might be fun and maybe
    > even of value to people here.
    >
    > bill

    My experience with Infoservers is limited and ten years or so old so
    take with a grain or two of salt!

    An Infoserver serves disks, hard or CD, and maybe even tape drives to
    VMS systems. You can boot a VAX or Alpha from one.

    Try google for "InfoServer site:HP.COM".

  5. Re: Using an Infoserver

    See also

    http://mvb.saic.com/freeware/freewarev80/infoserver/

    "This directory contains various InfoServer software disk images, the
    client for Microsoft MS-DOS (the OpenVMS LAD/LAST client is built
    into
    OpenVMS), and the associated keys for enabling various InfoServer
    functions."

  6. Re: Using an Infoserver

    On 9 Oct, 20:58, Wilm Boerhout wrote:
    > Kari Uusimäki vaguely mentioned on 9-10-2008 21:25:
    >
    > > Here's some links to information about Infoservers and their features
    > > and protocols:

    > >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73fina...17pro_097.html

    > >http://h30266.www3.hp.com/masterinde...d_004ee544.txt

    > Interesting reading. What we now call iSCSI, Digital had it back then.
    > Serving CD, disks, tapes and "partitions" (disk containers).
    >
    > /Wilm

    Indeed!

    Infoservers can be used to offer CD services to hosts on the network.
    They use LAD and LAST protocols, LAD being (IIRC) Local Area Disk.

    If you look in SYS$HELP you'll probably find some help libraries
    starting ESS$ that will contain help on the VMS side of the programs
    required. The startup files ESS$LAST_STARTUP.COM and ESS
    $LAD_STARTUP.COM will probably be of interest too.

  7. Re: Using an Infoserver

    In article <6l70mcFau26sU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu
    (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk. :-)
    >
    > I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good time.
    > What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot VMS systems)?

    I used to use one to serve up hard disks. I later bound these into a
    volume set. It can be used to serve up partitions as well.

  8. Re: Using an Infoserver

    In article <6l70mcFau26sU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk. :-)
    >
    > I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good time.
    > What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot VMS systems)? I thought
    > it would share devices among multiple machines. Correct? What protocol
    > does it use? Is it likely that I could share devices with my PDP-11's?
    > Or, even more interesting possibility, can I boot a PDP-11 from an Infoserver?

    IIRC, Infoserver supports MOP, LAST, LAT, and LAD. You can boot VMS,
    the VXT kernel, and I think some DECservers and Ultrix from it. You
    can share disk and tapes using either LAST or LAD, which VMS, Ultrix,
    and (I think) Tru64 understand. You cannot have VMScluster style or
    NFS style multiple writers to a single service, but you can declare
    multiple services on different parts of the same disk.

    And LAT support is only for remote console. If you can't get LAT
    connections, use the RJ11 serial port for debugging.

    I've had an Inforserver 1000 for about 16 years now, and the only
    trouble has been failure of the data drive. VMS can backup the
    drives using BACKUP/PHYSICAL, I assume UNIX can somehow, too.

  9. Re: Using an Infoserver

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > OK, enough OT and No-Marketing posts. Let's get back to some tech talk.
    > :-)
    >
    > I have an Infoserver. I have never used one before. So, now is a good
    > time.
    > What can I do with an Infoserver (other than boot VMS systems)? I thought
    > it would share devices among multiple machines. Correct? What protocol
    > does it use? Is it likely that I could share devices with my PDP-11's?
    > Or, even more interesting possibility, can I boot a PDP-11 from an
    > Infoserver?

    BTW, OpenVMS V8.3 can now be an Infoserver (well, most of an Infoserver, the
    Infoserver software won't do MOP loads but you can MOP load from DECnet or
    LANCP). Check the release notes.

    We have both actual Infoservers and OpenVMS-hosted Infoservers in the lab.
    I can't tell them apart myself.

    John

+ Reply to Thread