how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3 - VMS

This is a discussion on how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3 - VMS ; I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard- disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded ...

  1. how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which
    boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard-
    disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have
    five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded our
    hardware and OS.
    ( DS-25 )which is operating with VMS 8.3 .My host systems are not
    in a cluster. We want to remove infoservers . Booting software of VXTs
    are of version
    2.1 which is on hard-disk (DK3 of infoservers. Each infoserver has
    one hard-disk (device name is DK3
    Some X-session applications are running of these remote Vxts.

    So please help us to boot these vxts from our host systems

    Thanx in advance.

  2. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    In article <4963a543-1620-4ac3-b9a4-f8d583cb765d@r38g2000prr.googlegroups.com>, Naveen writes:
    > I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which
    > boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard-
    > disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have
    > five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded our
    > hardware and OS.

    You can boot a VXT off of almost anything. MOP and bootp are
    supported. Imagesand installation instructions were shipped for
    VMS, Ultrix, Solaris, HP-UX, and others.

    Origininally you could only use the "virtual" (memory) xt capabilties
    if you booted off of an Infoserver. Nowdays VMS includes all the
    support that Infoserver had, so you should be able to use virtual
    memory while booting off of a recent version of VMS.

    You will need that virtual memory for most modern applications. Its
    not unusual to run out of virtual memory when running a browser.

  3. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    On 9 okt, 12:28, Naveen wrote:
    > *I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which
    > boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard-
    > disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have
    > five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded our
    > hardware and OS.
    > ( DS-25 )which is operating with VMS 8.3 .My host systems are not
    > in a cluster. We want to remove infoservers . Booting software of VXTs
    > are of version
    > 2.1 which is on hard-disk (DK3 of infoservers. Each infoserver has
    > one hard-disk (device name is DK3
    > Some X-session applications are running of these remote Vxts.
    >
    > So please help us to boot these vxts from our host systems
    >
    > Thanx in advance.

    Ought to be possible, I have a VXT 2000+ and no Infoserver at all and
    it seems to boot quite well...
    As it happens, I run AXP/VMS V8.3 and DECnet phase IV (aka classic
    DECnet).
    The VXT system uses MOP to boot and even though MOP is not DECnet, the
    boot characteristics are maintained in the DECnet database.
    Indium is the DECnet nodename of the VXT 2000+:

    NCP>sho node indium char

    Node Volatile Characteristics as of 9-OCT-2008 19:54:42

    Remote node = 1.12 (INDIUM)

    Service circuit = EWA-0
    Hardware address = 08-00-2B-93-C2-F2
    Load file = VXT$LIBRARY:VXT.SYS

    VXT$LIBRARY is a logical name of course and points to a directory that
    contains this:

    $ dir vxt$library

    Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VXT$LIBRARY]

    VXT$LAUNCH.EXE;1 VXT$SERVER.COM;1 VXT$WSA.EXE;1 VXT.SYS;
    1
    VXT021_RELEASE_NOTES.PS;1 VXTCONFIG.XRM;1 VXTEX.SYS;
    1

    Total of 7 files.
    $

    The $64,000 question is: where did those files come from and the
    answer is that I really can't remember :-(
    Hans

  4. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    On 9 okt, 20:05, H Vlems wrote:
    > On 9 okt, 12:28, Naveen wrote:
    >
    > > *I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which
    > > boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard-
    > > disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have
    > > five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded our
    > > hardware and OS.
    > > ( DS-25 )which is operating with VMS 8.3 .My host systems are not
    > > in a cluster. We want to remove infoservers . Booting software of VXTs
    > > are of version
    > > 2.1 which is on hard-disk (DK3 of infoservers. Each infoserver has
    > > one hard-disk (device name is DK3
    > > Some X-session applications are running of these remote Vxts.

    > > So please help us to boot these vxts from our host systems

    > > Thanx in advance.

    > Ought to be possible, I have a VXT 2000+ and no Infoserver at all and
    > it seems to boot quite well...
    > As it happens, I run AXP/VMS V8.3 and DECnet phase IV (aka classic
    > DECnet).
    > The VXT system uses MOP to boot and even though MOP is not DECnet, the
    > boot characteristics are maintained in the DECnet database.
    > Indium is the DECnet nodename of the VXT 2000+:
    >
    > NCP>sho node indium char
    >
    > Node Volatile Characteristics as of *9-OCT-2008 19:54:42
    >
    > Remote node = * 1.12 (INDIUM)
    >
    > Service circuit * * * * *= EWA-0
    > Hardware address * * * * = 08-00-2B-93-C2-F2
    > Load file * * * * * * * *= VXT$LIBRARY:VXT.SYS
    >
    > VXT$LIBRARY is a logical name of course and points to a directory that
    > contains this:
    >
    > $ dir vxt$library
    >
    > Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VXT$LIBRARY]
    >
    > VXT$LAUNCH.EXE;1 * *VXT$SERVER.COM;1 * *VXT$WSA.EXE;1 * * *VXT.SYS;
    > 1
    > VXT021_RELEASE_NOTES.PS;1 * * * * * * * VXTCONFIG.XRM;1 ** VXTEX.SYS;
    > 1
    >
    > Total of 7 files.
    > $
    >
    > The $64,000 question is: where did those files come from and the
    > answer is that I really can't remember :-(
    > Hans

    PS
    If you use DECnet phase IV, make sure that the attribute "Service" is
    enabled for the DECnet circuit:
    $ mc ncp sho know circ

    Known Circuit Volatile Summary as of 9-OCT-2008 20:29:14

    Circuit State Loopback Adjacent
    Name Routing Node

    EWA-0 on
    $ mc ncp sho circ ewa-0 char

    Circuit Volatile Characteristics as of 9-OCT-2008 20:29:18

    Circuit = EWA-0

    State = on
    Service = enabled
    Designated router = 1.9 (OSMIUM)
    Cost = 4
    Maximum routers allowed = 33
    Router priority = 64
    Hello timer = 15
    Type = Ethernet

    $

  5. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    Thanx Mr. Viems,
    Thanks a lot. I have 4 NIC cards, two of
    them are on mother-board (EIA0 and EWA0) and two are on PCI slots
    (EWB0, and EWC0) . Here we are using EWB0 and EWC0. EWC0 is configrued
    for TCPIP communication and EWB0 is configured for LAT/DECNET etc.
    My system output is attached with this mail. My system node name is
    BSHFMC, decnet address is 27.979 and IP address is 192.168.68.51. My
    default gateway is configured on EWC0 with IP address 192.168.68.56
    so, please help me to configure my infoserver services on my host,
    which is running on vms 8.3

    >sh net

    Product: DECNET Node: BSHFMC Address(es):
    27.979
    Product: TCP/IP Node: bhsfmc.bsl Address(es):
    192.168.68.51

    >mc lancp show config /user

    LAN Configuration:
    Parent or
    Device PrefCPU Medium/User Version Link Speed Duplex Auto
    BufSize MAC Address Type
    ------ ------- ----------- ------- ---- ----- ------ ----
    ------- ---------------- ------------ -----------
    EIA0 0 Ethernet (nopriv) Down - - Yes
    1500 00-02-A5-20-55-B2 UTP i82559
    EIA4 FE DECnet-V
    1497
    EWA0 0 Ethernet (nopriv) Down - - Yes
    1500 00-16-35-3E-EC-AA UTP BCM5703
    EWA4 FE DECnet-V
    1497
    EWB0 0 Ethernet (nopriv) Up 100 Full Yes
    1500 AA-00-04-00-D3-6F UTP BCM5703

    00-1F-29-32-66-61 (default)
    EWB4 FE DECnet-V
    1497
    EWB5 60-03 DNA Routing
    1498
    EWB17 80-41 LAST
    1500
    EWC0 0 Ethernet (nopriv) Down - - Yes
    1500 00-1F-29-32-66-42 UTP BCM5703
    EWC4 FE DECnet-V
    1497

    >mc ncp sh know nodes

    Known Node Volatile Summary as of 11-OCT-2008 10:48:51

    Executor node = 27.979 (BSHFMC)

    State = on
    Identification = DECnet-OSI for OpenVMS

    > mc ncp show node bshfmc char

    Node Volatile Characteristics as of 11-OCT-2008
    10:51:26

    Executor node = 27.979 (BSHFMC)

    Identification = DECnet-OSI for
    OpenVMS
    Management version = V4.0.0
    Incoming timer = 0
    Outgoing timer
    NSP version = V4.1.0
    Maximum links = 0
    Delay factor = 0
    Delay weight = 0
    Inactivity timer = 0
    Retransmit factor = 0
    Routing version = V2.0.0
    Type = nonrouting
    IV
    Routing timer = 0
    Subaddresses = 0
    Broadcast routing timer = 0
    Maximum address = 0
    Maximum circuits = 0
    Maximum cost = 0
    Maximum hops = 0
    Maximum visits = 0
    Maximum area = 0
    Max broadcast nonrouters = 0
    Max broadcast routers = 0
    Maximum path splits = 0
    Area maximum cost = 0
    Area maximum hops = 0
    Maximum buffers = 0
    Segment buffer size = 0
    Buffer size = 0
    Pipeline quota = 0
    Alias maximum links = 0
    Path split policy = Normal
    Maximum Declared Objects = 0
    DNS interface = Enabled

    >mc ncp show circuit e* char

    Circuit Volatile Characteristics as
    of

    Circuit = EIA-0

    State = on
    Service = disabled

    Circuit = EWA-0

    State = on
    Service = disabled

    Circuit = EWA-1

    State = on
    Service = disable
    Circuit = EWA-2

    State = on
    Service = disabled

    >mc latcp sh link

    Link Name Device Name State
    -------------- -----------------
    --------
    LAT$LINK _EWB7: ON

    On Oct 9, 11:29*pm, H Vlems wrote:
    > On 9 okt, 20:05, H Vlems wrote:
    >

    > > On 9 okt, 12:28, Naveen wrote:

    > > > *I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which
    > > > boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard-
    > > > disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have
    > > > five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded our
    > > > hardware and OS.
    > > > ( DS-25 )which is operating with VMS 8.3 .My host systems are not
    > > > in a cluster. We want to remove infoservers . Booting software of VXTs
    > > > are of version
    > > > 2.1 which is on hard-disk (DK3 of infoservers. Each infoserver has
    > > > one hard-disk (device name is DK3
    > > > Some X-session applications are running of these remote Vxts.

    > > > So please help us to boot these vxts from our host systems

    > > > Thanx in advance.

    > > Ought to be possible, I have a VXT 2000+ and no Infoserver at all and
    > > it seems to boot quite well...
    > > As it happens, I run AXP/VMS V8.3 and DECnet phase IV (aka classic
    > > DECnet).
    > > The VXT system uses MOP to boot and even though MOP is not DECnet, the
    > > boot characteristics are maintained in the DECnet database.
    > > Indium is the DECnet nodename of the VXT 2000+:

    > > NCP>sho node indium char

    > > Node Volatile Characteristics as of *9-OCT-2008 19:54:42

    > > Remote node = * 1.12 (INDIUM)

    > > Service circuit * * * * *= EWA-0
    > > Hardware address * * * * = 08-00-2B-93-C2-F2
    > > Load file * * * * * * * *= VXT$LIBRARY:VXT.SYS

    > > VXT$LIBRARY is a logical name of course and points to a directory that
    > > contains this:

    > > $ dir vxt$library

    > > Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VXT$LIBRARY]

    > > VXT$LAUNCH.EXE;1 * *VXT$SERVER.COM;1 * *VXT$WSA.EXE;1 * * * VXT.SYS;
    > > 1
    > > VXT021_RELEASE_NOTES.PS;1 * * * * * * * VXTCONFIG.XRM;1 * * VXTEX.SYS;
    > > 1

    > > Total of 7 files.
    > > $

    > > The $64,000 question is: where did those files come from and the
    > > answer is that I really can't remember :-(
    > > Hans

    > PS
    > If you use DECnet phase IV, make sure that the attribute "Service" is
    > enabled for the DECnet circuit:
    > $ mc ncp sho know circ
    >
    > Known Circuit Volatile Summary as of *9-OCT-2008 20:29:14
    >
    > * *Circuit * * * * *State * * * * * * * * * Loopback * * Adjacent
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Name * * *Routing Node
    >
    > * EWA-0 * * * * * * on
    > $ mc ncp sho circ ewa-0 char
    >
    > Circuit Volatile Characteristics as of *9-OCT-2008 20:29:18
    >
    > Circuit = EWA-0
    >
    > State * * * * * * * * * *= on
    > Service * * * * * * * * *= enabled
    > Designated router * * * *= *1.9 (OSMIUM)
    > Cost * * * * * * * * * * = 4
    > Maximum routers allowed *= 33
    > Router priority * * * * *= 64
    > Hello timer * * * * * * *= 15
    > Type * * * * * * * * * * = Ethernet

  6. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    On Oct 9, 11:05*pm, H Vlems wrote:
    > On 9 okt, 12:28, Naveen wrote:
    >
    > > *I have 14 VXT terminals (vxt 2000+) which
    > > boots from 2 infoservers(infoserver sw1000). Each infoserver has hard-
    > > disk (DK3 which contains booting software for these vxts. We have
    > > five Host systems which were on vms 7.1 Now we have upgraded our
    > > hardware and OS.
    > > ( DS-25 )which is operating with VMS 8.3 .My host systems are not
    > > in a cluster. We want to remove infoservers . Booting software of VXTs
    > > are of version
    > > 2.1 which is on hard-disk (DK3 of infoservers. Each infoserver has
    > > one hard-disk (device name is DK3
    > > Some X-session applications are running of these remote Vxts.

    > > So please help us to boot these vxts from our host systems

    > > Thanx in advance.

    > Ought to be possible, I have a VXT 2000+ and no Infoserver at all and
    > it seems to boot quite well...
    > As it happens, I run AXP/VMS V8.3 and DECnet phase IV (aka classic
    > DECnet).
    > The VXT system uses MOP to boot and even though MOP is not DECnet, the
    > boot characteristics are maintained in the DECnet database.
    > Indium is the DECnet nodename of the VXT 2000+:
    >
    > NCP>sho node indium char
    >
    > Node Volatile Characteristics as of *9-OCT-2008 19:54:42
    >
    > Remote node = * 1.12 (INDIUM)
    >
    > Service circuit * * * * *= EWA-0
    > Hardware address * * * * = 08-00-2B-93-C2-F2
    > Load file * * * * * * * *= VXT$LIBRARY:VXT.SYS
    >
    > VXT$LIBRARY is a logical name of course and points to a directory that
    > contains this:
    >
    > $ dir vxt$library
    >
    > Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VXT$LIBRARY]
    >
    > VXT$LAUNCH.EXE;1 * *VXT$SERVER.COM;1 * *VXT$WSA.EXE;1 * * *VXT.SYS;
    > 1
    > VXT021_RELEASE_NOTES.PS;1 * * * * * * * VXTCONFIG.XRM;1 ** VXTEX.SYS;
    > 1
    >
    > Total of 7 files.
    > $
    >
    > The $64,000 question is: where did those files come from and the
    > answer is that I really can't remember :-(
    > Hans

    Thanx Mr. Viems,
    Thanks a lot. I have 4 NIC cards, two of
    them are on mother-board (EIA0 and EWA0) and two are on PCI slots
    (EWB0, and EWC0) . Here we are using EWB0 and EWC0. EWC0 is
    configrued
    for TCPIP communication and EWB0 is configured for LAT/DECNET etc.
    My system output is attached with this mail. My system node name is
    BSHFMC, decnet address is 27.979 and IP address is 192.168.68.51. My
    default gateway is configured on EWC0 with IP address 192.168.68.56
    so, please help me to configure my infoserver services on my host,
    which is running on vms 8.3

    >sh net

    Product: DECNET Node: BSHFMC Address(es):
    27.979
    Product: TCP/IP Node: bhsfmc.bsl Address(es):
    192.168.68.51

    >mc ncl show csma-cd station * all

    here in my output
    Name csma-cd-2
    communication port EWB
    hardware address 00-1F-29-32-55-EB
    state ON
    mac adress AA-00-04-00-D3-6F
    receive mode all multicast

> [...]

    EWA4 FE DECnet-V
    1497
    EWB0 0 Ethernet (nopriv) Up 100 Full Yes
    1500 AA-00-04-00-D3-6F UTP BCM5703

    00-1F-29-32-66-61 (default)
    EWB4 FE DECnet-V
    1497
    EWB5 60-03 DNA Routing
    1498
    EWB17 80-41 LAST
    1500
    EWC0 0 Ethernet (nopriv) Down - - Yes
    1500 00-1F-29-32-66-42 UTP BCM5703
    EWC4 FE DECnet-V
    1497

    >mc ncp sh know nodes

    Known Node Volatile Summary as of 11-OCT-2008 10:48:51

    Executor node = 27.979 (BSHFMC)

    State = on
    Identification = DECnet-OSI for OpenVMS

    > mc ncp show node bshfmc char

    Node Volatile Characteristics as of 11-OCT-2008

    known circuit volatile summary at 11-oct-2008 10:49:51
    No information in database

    >mc latcp sh link

    Link Name Device Name State
    -------------- -----------------
    --------
    LAT$LINK _EWB7: ON

  7. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    In article <44fcc844-88d1-4036-9ecf-3c703e8a43dc@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems writes:

    > The VXT system uses MOP to boot and even though MOP is not DECnet, the
    > boot characteristics are maintained in the DECnet database.

    Only in Phase IV, and no longer required there. There is a separate
    data base you can use on any recent version of VMS, and must use
    for Phase V.

    Yeah, I know, lots of folks won't do Phase V.

  8. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > In article <44fcc844-88d1-4036-9ecf-3c703e8a43dc@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems writes:
    >
    > > The VXT system uses MOP to boot and even though MOP is not DECnet, the
    > > boot characteristics are maintained in the DECnet database.

    > Only in Phase IV, and no longer required there. There is a separate
    > data base you can use on any recent version of VMS, and must use
    > for Phase V.
    >
    > Yeah, I know, lots of folks won't do Phase V.

    It is possible to use MOP even if one is not using DECnet, at least
    since 7.1.

  9. Re: how to configure infoserver functionality in vms 8.3

    On Oct 11, 3:50*pm, Naveen wrote:
> [...]

    > of
    >
    > Circuit = EIA-0
    >
    > State * * * * * * * * * *= on
    > Service * * * * * * * * *= disabled
    >
    > Circuit = EWA-0
    >
    > State * * * * * * * * * *= on
    > Service * * * * * * * * *= disabled
    >
    > Circuit = EWA-1
    >
    > State * * * * * * * * * *= on
    > Service * * * * * * * * *= disable
    > Circuit = EWA-2
    >
    > State * * * * * * * * * *= on
    > Service * * * * * * * * *= disabled
    >
    > >mc ncp sh known circ

    > * known circuit volatile summary at 11-oct-2008 *10:49:51
    > No information in database
    >
    > >mc latcp sh link

    > * *Link Name * * * * * * * * * * *Device Name * * * * * *State
    > * *-------------- * * * * * * * * * * * *-----------------
    > --------
    > LAT$LINK * * * * * * * * * * * * * * _EWB7: * * * * * * * * * ON

    Dear Sir,
    We have upgraded our vms alpha system from vms 7.1 to
    VMS 8.3 on DS-25E machine. Now we want to remove infoservers as vms
    8.3 has infoserver functionally. At present we are using infoserver to
    boot our remote VXT 2000+ terminals, but want to boot our remote
    terminals with our host systems directly. As you are using this
    system , so we want some help in this regards. So please send us some
    of the file contents of your files so that we can get some idea to
    confiure our host system.
    Do we neet to configure net$configure.com ---> option 8 to configure
    mop client? If it is so then please send the names of
    1. Secondary loader --
    2. Tertiary Loader--
    3.System image--
    4. Diagonostic Image--