Starting a CDE session over SSH? - VMS

This is a discussion on Starting a CDE session over SSH? - VMS ; Is this possible? I've got X forwarding enabled and running individual programs works (e.g. CREATE/TERM) but I can't figure out how to start a full CDE session, I've tried running DTSESSION.EXE but nothing happens aside from some font messages like ...

  1. Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    Is this possible? I've got X forwarding enabled and running individual
    programs works (e.g. CREATE/TERM) but I can't figure out how to start
    a full CDE session, I've tried running DTSESSION.EXE but nothing
    happens aside from some font messages like these ones:

    X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct

    I've seen similar messages when running say the graphical MAIL client
    so I assume they're not the problem.

    Sampsa

  2. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    sampsal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is this possible? I've got X forwarding enabled and running individual
    > programs works (e.g. CREATE/TERM) but I can't figure out how to start
    > a full CDE session, I've tried running DTSESSION.EXE but nothing
    > happens aside from some font messages like these ones:
    >
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    >
    > I've seen similar messages when running say the graphical MAIL client
    > so I assume they're not the problem.
    >
    > Sampsa

    Have you configured your X-emulator to make the request to your VMS host?

    Regards,

    Kari

  3. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    In article , sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    >
    > I've seen similar messages when running say the graphical MAIL client
    > so I assume they're not the problem.

    Your right. The above messages just say your X server doesn't have
    the specific font that the X client program asked for. Almost every
    time it will fall back to a useable font.

    Do you get any messages or log files that might better point out the
    problem? Have you tried using the older decw$session instead of
    CDE?

  4. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    On Oct 9, 1:54*pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > * *Do you get any messages or log files that might better point out the
    > * *problem? *Have you tried using the older decw$session instead of
    > * *CDE?

    decw$session works, but I'd really like the little control panel
    applet (or whatever it is called in CDE) to start up.

    Sampsa

  5. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    On Oct 9, 5:16*am, Kari Uusimäki
    wrote:
    > samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Is this possible? I've got X forwarding enabled and running individual
    > > programs works (e.g. CREATE/TERM) but I can't figure out how to start
    > > a full CDE session, I've tried running DTSESSION.EXE but nothing
    > > happens aside from some font messages like these ones:

    > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct

    > > I've seen similar messages when running say the graphical MAIL client
    > > so I assume they're not the problem.

    > > Sampsa

    > Have you configured your X-emulator to make the request to your VMS host?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    Yes, well, sort of

    If I run a nested X server on the local subnet it works, giving me the
    XDM login prompt etc. But this is not what I want to do, I want to log
    in and authenticate with SSH and start a CDE session tunneled over SSH
    for this user.

    Sampsa

  6. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    On Oct 10, 8:16*pm, samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 5:16*am, Kari Uusimäki
    >

    > wrote:
    > > samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Is this possible? I've got X forwarding enabled and running individual
    > > > programs works (e.g. CREATE/TERM) but I can't figure out how to start
    > > > a full CDE session, I've tried running DTSESSION.EXE but nothing
    > > > happens aside from some font messages like these ones:

    > > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > > > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > > > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
    > > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-
    > > > normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    > > > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--
    > > > *-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct

    > > > I've seen similar messages when running say the graphical MAIL client
    > > > so I assume they're not the problem.

    > > > Sampsa

    > > Have you configured your X-emulator to make the request to your VMS host?

    > > Regards,

    > > Kari

    > Yes, well, sort of
    >
    > If I run a nested X server on the local subnet it works, giving me the
    > XDM login prompt etc. But this is not what I want to do, I want to log
    > in and authenticate with SSH and start a CDE session tunneled over SSH
    > for this user.
    >
    > Sampsa

    Try this:

    $ mcr cde$system_defaults:[bin]dtsession

    more details on my blog: http://blog.wickensonline.co.uk

  7. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:21:57 -0700, urbancamo
    wrote:

    > mcr cde$system_defaults:[bin]dtsession

    That is pretty neat! I got following, but it worked anyway. I was ssh
    connected via PuTTY from XP laptop running eXcursion.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: Starting a CDE session over SSH?

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface
    > user-medium-r-normal-m*-
    > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct

    Normally, you can configure your VMS system to have a font server and
    tell the X-terminal software to use that system for fonts. This way, the
    X-terminal will find the fonts that VMS applications expect to be present.

    In a SSH environment, it might be difficult to achieve since the
    connection from VMS back to the X-terminal is SSH, and when the terminal
    wishes to connect to the VMS server to obtain fonts, it won't go through
    SSH. (the roles are reversed, for fonts, the X-terminal is a client,
    whereas for X, the X-terminal is the server :-)

    The other way to solve this is to move the needed fonts from VMS to the
    X-terminal and update its own font directory so that the fonts needed by
    VMS apps will be found on the X-terminal (no need for font server). Or
    simply remap the requested fonts to a font already on the X-terminal
    (with the font alias file).

+ Reply to Thread