printer recommendation for hobbyist cluster - VMS

This is a discussion on printer recommendation for hobbyist cluster - VMS ; In article , Paul Anderson writes: >In article , > JF Mezei wrote: > >> But on VMS, what we can probably expect is a simple conversion from >> the embedded simplified postscript into actual postscript code sent >> to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: printer recommendation for hobbyist cluster

    In article , Paul Anderson writes:
    >In article <48ee10b7$0$12402$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    >> But on VMS, what we can probably expect is a simple conversion from
    >> the embedded simplified postscript into actual postscript code sent
    >> to the printer.
    >>
    >> Perhaps Mr Anderson can chime in and explain what the plans would be.

    >There are three possibilities, none of which has yet been chosen, nor
    >have we committed to adding such capabilities.
    >
    > 1. Send PDF file unchanged to printers that can print PDF files
    > directly.
    >
    > 2. Put a hook into DCPS such that customers could "roll their own"
    > procedure with an application of their choosing (Ghostscript for
    > example) to convert PDF to PostScript.
    >
    > 3. Include a full PDF-to-PostScript translator in DCPS.
    >
    >The best and most expensive choice is #3.

    Actually, the _best_ choice is "All of the Above." 1 so that if you prefer
    printer support you can get it, 2 for maximum flexibility for the user, 3
    for seamless and general support.

    If you did "2", I'd suggest it be as a generalized hook mechanism so that
    customers can define data types and converters. (So if you're a TeX shop you
    can insert a hook for .dvi that runs dvitops to get PostScript, etc.)

    -- Alan

  2. Re: printer recommendation for hobbyist cluster

    In article <00A80DAC.9259AB2F@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
    winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing)
    writes:

    > In article , Paul Anderson writes:
    > >In article <48ee10b7$0$12402$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    > > JF Mezei wrote:
    > >
    > >> But on VMS, what we can probably expect is a simple conversion from
    > >> the embedded simplified postscript into actual postscript code sent
    > >> to the printer.
    > >>
    > >> Perhaps Mr Anderson can chime in and explain what the plans would be.

    > >There are three possibilities, none of which has yet been chosen, nor
    > >have we committed to adding such capabilities.
    > >
    > > 1. Send PDF file unchanged to printers that can print PDF files
    > > directly.
    > >
    > > 2. Put a hook into DCPS such that customers could "roll their own"
    > > procedure with an application of their choosing (Ghostscript for
    > > example) to convert PDF to PostScript.
    > >
    > > 3. Include a full PDF-to-PostScript translator in DCPS.
    > >
    > >The best and most expensive choice is #3.

    > Actually, the _best_ choice is "All of the Above." 1 so that if you prefer
    > printer support you can get it, 2 for maximum flexibility for the user, 3
    > for seamless and general support.
    >
    > If you did "2", I'd suggest it be as a generalized hook mechanism so that
    > customers can define data types and converters. (So if you're a TeX shop you
    > can insert a hook for .dvi that runs dvitops to get PostScript, etc.)

    Wouldn't CONVERT/DOCUMENT be the best place for this?

  3. Re: printer recommendation for hobbyist cluster

    THe Color lasterjet 2605 is supported with DCPS - You can get one for about
    $300 from office Depot
    Supplies are costly - We have one in our office for invoicing - good quality

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    wrote in message news:gcis0n$qe$1@online.de...
    >I have no printer in my hobbyist cluster (VAX and ALPHA, nothing very
    > new). I would like to have one. The minimum would be a printer which
    > would print plain text as well as PostScript. These days, it should
    > also be possible to print a PDF file on it. Another requirement would
    > be the ability for a web browser to print a given page (not sure how
    > this works behind the scenes). Colour would be nice, but I could live
    > with black and white if colour is going to cost me a lot more (in
    > initial costs or in maintenance).
    >
    > I don't care how it is connected up, as long as it can be. (Serial?
    > Parallel? Network?) An added plus would be the ability for non-VMS
    > stuff on the LAN to use it as well (presumably this would imply a
    > network connection).
    >
    > 300 DPI should be enough, but 600 (or even more) would be nice.
    >
    > Can I buy some new printer off the shelf in any old shop?
    >
    > What new HP printers would fit the bill?
    >
    > What used DEC/Compaq/HP printers would fit the bill?
    >
    > To save paper, the ability to print double-sided would be nice.
    >
    > A4 is the only size I need.
    >
    > If anyone has such a printer to give away or sell cheap in Europe, let
    > me know and I'll see if I can come and get it.

  4. Re: printer recommendation for hobbyist cluster

    > Wouldn't CONVERT/DOCUMENT be the best place for this?

    Assuming HP still has the sources/rights to this, this is a great idea:

    They would simply need to create a PDF reader shareable image and make
    it possible for interactive use of CONVERT/DOCUMENT myfile.PDF to
    myfile.PS , and then DCPS could simply use the callable interface of the
    CDA to do the same when given PDF files to print on a PS printer.

    The caveat to this is that I am not sure the CDA architecture supports
    going from final form to final form. I think there is an inherent
    requirement that the document being read be converted to a CDA internal
    format first, and this would require the software create a virtual image
    of the PDF document in CDA semantics before converting that into
    Postscript. But such virtual image might allow you to convert it to
    ascii or other document formats and that would be REALLY neat.

    It is a REAL SHAME that Digital abandonned the CDA architecture. This
    would have been something really useful in a modern world and if DEC had
    had leaderhsip it would have made VMS useful even i offices because of
    that document conversion capability (with up to date and full set of
    converters).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2