media of old VMS versions - VMS

This is a discussion on media of old VMS versions - VMS ; Hello! I'm an enthusiast of retrocomputing, especially of big/large machines. Recently I acquired my first VAX machines, a 4000-100A and a 3100/20 (no frame buffer). The 4000 works good (except a problem with the cache, that has to be disabled) ...

  1. media of old VMS versions

    Hello!
    I'm an enthusiast of retrocomputing, especially of big/large machines.
    Recently I acquired my first VAX machines, a 4000-100A and a 3100/20
    (no frame buffer).
    The 4000 works good (except a problem with the cache, that has to be
    disabled) and has VMS 5.5 installed. I managed to reset the system
    passwd and to start to learn about. I did a backup of the disk on DAT
    tape and found that the licenses installed are good and working, good
    thing! Unfortunately I don't have an installation media for thie
    version of VMS.
    The 3100 has some problem to boot the OS. Thre disks (two RZ23) seems
    to work, but if I boot it, only the first row of text presenting VMS
    5.3 appears, then the system seems to search something on all other
    SCSI devices connected, in sequence, until an HALT error appears...
    I tried to do a conversational boot, putting the system to "MIN" and
    to enable the step-by-step log, but again nothing happens.
    The idea is to reinstall the same OS in this machine (I have also 7.3,
    but it's too big for this disks and RAM amount, I think), so basically
    is a bootable an installation media on some kind of support, to
    reinstall VMS 5.3. As far as I know, this version is no more available
    around for an affordable "collector" price,
    so my question is if it is possible to receive by internet an image or
    something like it, in way I can use SIMH and then DD to create a DAT
    tape to boot the machine from.
    I think I should already have licence also for it, inside the disk of
    the 3100 (as is for the 4000).
    Is it a praticable idea? There's some other way to try to recover the
    machine?
    Thanks

  2. Re: media of old VMS versions

    On 8 okt, 19:29, shadoooo wrote:
    > Hello!
    > I'm an enthusiast of retrocomputing, especially of big/large machines.
    > Recently I acquired my first VAX machines, a 4000-100A and a 3100/20
    > (no frame buffer).
    > The 4000 works good (except a problem with the cache, that has to be
    > disabled) and has VMS 5.5 installed. I managed to reset the system
    > passwd and to start to learn about. I did a backup of the disk on DAT
    > tape and found that the licenses installed are good and working, good
    > thing! Unfortunately I don't have an installation media for thie
    > version of VMS.
    > The 3100 has some problem to boot the OS. Thre disks (two RZ23) seems
    > to work, but if I boot it, only the first row of text presenting VMS
    > 5.3 appears, then the system seems to search something on all other
    > SCSI devices connected, in sequence, until an HALT error appears...
    > I tried to do a conversational boot, putting the system to "MIN" and
    > to enable the step-by-step log, but again nothing happens.
    > The idea is to reinstall the same OS in this machine (I have also 7.3,
    > but it's too big for this disks and RAM amount, I think), so basically
    > is a bootable an installation media on some kind of support, to
    > reinstall VMS 5.3. As far as I know, this version is no more available
    > around for an affordable "collector" price,
    > so my question is if it is possible to receive by internet an image or
    > something like it, in way I can use SIMH and then DD to create a DAT
    > tape to boot the machine from.
    > I think I should already have licence also for it, inside the disk of
    > the 3100 (as is for the 4000).
    > Is it a praticable idea? There's some other way to try to recover the
    > machine?
    > Thanks

    You can boot the 3100 via ethernet off the system disk of the
    4000-100A.
    If you have a CDrom drive on it, boot V7.3 from cd and mount the
    RZ23's manually
    Look for dkannn:[000000...]LMF$LICENSE.LDB (where nnn is the device
    id).
    Next: $ def/sys LMF$LICENSE DKAnnn:[]LMF$LICENSE.LDB
    so that you can use lic list * /full for the licenses
    If you want to save them, use $ license/issue/procedure/out=
    *
    Hans

  3. Re: media of old VMS versions

    In article <57e48dc6-ee7a-42dd-abc8-1f2b7da2658c@d10g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, shadoooo writes:

    > I'm an enthusiast of retrocomputing, especially of big/large machines.
    > Recently I acquired my first VAX machines, a 4000-100A and a 3100/20
    > (no frame buffer).
    > The 4000 works good (except a problem with the cache, that has to be
    > disabled) and has VMS 5.5 installed. I managed to reset the system
    > passwd and to start to learn about. I did a backup of the disk on DAT
    > tape and found that the licenses installed are good and working, good
    > thing! Unfortunately I don't have an installation media for thie
    > version of VMS.

    I'd get a hobbyist license set, load them on the systems, and cluster
    them. Set up the 3100 as a satellite so that it network boots off
    the 4000.

    If that boots, then the 3100 is having some kind of problem with the
    disks.

+ Reply to Thread