VMS news reader - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS news reader - VMS ; What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3? Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny strings, to the point that the message is unreadable. ...

  1. VMS news reader

    What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?
    Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.
    Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?
    Hans

  2. Re: VMS news reader

    On Oct 7, 9:45*am, H Vlems wrote:
    > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?
    > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.
    > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?
    > Hans

    I have Mozilla installed on my PWS 600au and use it's built-in
    news reader (when at home!). There are a few other products
    you need to install for Mozilla, but I don't recall having any
    particular problem with that.

    I used to love ANU-News, but it's been a very long time since
    I've had access to a system where I could run it _and_ find an
    NNTP server to point it at. If I'm on my PC at home, I tend to
    use Thunderbird, but at work Google groups is my only option.
    Sigh. :-(

    -Ken

  3. Re: VMS news reader

    In article <9aa8e7f9-dac2-4b17-b765-90f229f45f84@u46g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems writes:
    > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?
    > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.
    > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?
    > Hans

    For just reading text, anu news as I'm using on Eisner right now is
    good. For non-text I use mozilla, since that's the latest
    news-capable browser for VMS where I prefer to do my browsing. (No
    stink'n virus to worry about.)

  4. Re: VMS news reader

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:45:51 -0700, H Vlems wrote:

    > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?
    > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.
    > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?
    > Hans

    Opera has a very good threaded newsreader which I use with
    News.Individual.NET which costs 10/annum

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  5. Re: VMS news reader

    Vlems writes:

    > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?

    NEWSRDR. Works on VAX as well. :-)

    > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.

    Agreed.

    > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?

    Is this related to the newsreader? Or are you running your own news
    server? Or do you want to save all the articles locally?

  6. Re: VMS news reader

    On 7 okt, 22:50, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > In article
    > <9aa8e7f9-dac2-4b17-b765-90f229f45...@u46g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, H
    >
    > Vlems writes:
    > > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?

    > NEWSRDR. *Works on VAX as well. *:-)
    >
    > > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    > > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    > > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.

    > Agreed.
    >
    > > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    > > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    > > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    > > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    > > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?

    > Is this related to the newsreader? *Or are you running your own news
    > server? *Or do you want to save all the articles locally?

    Hi Phillip,
    yes, the storage question is because I wanted to keep messages for a
    certain amount of time.
    I"ve looked at NEWSRDR but have problems making it run.
    I get this:
    $ news
    NEWSRDR V4.9-2
    Copyright 1993-1998, MadGoat Software. All Rights Reserved.
    %NEWS-I-NOOPNPROF, could not open NEWS profile
    -RMS-E-FNF, file not found

    Any ideays?
    Hans

  7. Re: VMS news reader

    H Vlems wrote:

    > yes, the storage question is because I wanted to keep messages for a
    > certain amount of time.

    News CLIENTS tend to keep posts for the lesser of: local config profile,
    OR: the server's retention period.

    So of the server has a retention period of 1 month, I am not sure that
    you can still access posts older than that which are still cached on
    your local client.

    As other have said, Mozilla provides the original Netscape
    news client with it.

    When you download it from the HP web site, it comes with a very nice
    installation package that includes all the middleware needed to make it run.

    It is very memory hungry, and you want to give yourself some inordinate
    amount of PGFILQUOTA like 1 gig. Also, some newsgroups with very long
    names may not work under VMS when the software tries to create its own
    files. (comp.os.vms is nowhere near the limit, but some newsgroup names
    are extremely long (like the one about the hamster and ducttape)

    The newsreader portion of Mozilla handles text posts fine. It does lack
    ability to reconstitute multipart binaries as well as some more recent
    encoding formats (like yenc), and no work was done to when they moved
    from Mozilla to Thunderbird.

    Be careful however to never use Mozilla with any privileges. If you do
    this, Mozilla will delete/overwrite some of the config files in SYS$SYSTEM.

  8. Re: VMS news reader

    In article , H Vlems writes:
    >On 7 okt, 22:50, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    >remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <9aa8e7f9-dac2-4b17-b765-90f229f45...@u46g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, H
    >>
    >> Vlems writes:
    >> > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?

    >> NEWSRDR. =A0Works on VAX as well. =A0:-)
    >>
    >> > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    >> > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    >> > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >> > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    >> > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    >> > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    >> > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    >> > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?

    >> Is this related to the newsreader? =A0Or are you running your own news
    >> server? =A0Or do you want to save all the articles locally?

    >Hi Phillip,
    >yes, the storage question is because I wanted to keep messages for a
    >certain amount of time.
    >I"ve looked at NEWSRDR but have problems making it run.
    >I get this:
    >$ news
    >NEWSRDR V4.9-2
    >Copyright =A9 1993-1998, MadGoat Software. All Rights Reserved.
    >%NEWS-I-NOOPNPROF, could not open NEWS profile
    >-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
    >
    >Any ideays?
    >Hans

    That file, NEWSRDR_PROFILE.NRPF, is created in your login directory and it
    maintains your user profile info (name, sig info, etc.). Either you have
    one there and it's corrupt or NEWSRDR has some issue with writing to your
    login directory. If you have privies, try "$ SET FILE WATCH/CLASS=MAJOR"
    and then run NEWSRDR to see what error is generated when it accesses your
    login directory or the NEWSRDR_PROFILE.NRPF file.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  9. Re: VMS news reader

    In article
    , H
    Vlems writes:

    > I"ve looked at NEWSRDR but have problems making it run.
    > I get this:
    > $ news
    > NEWSRDR V4.9-2
    > Copyright =A9 1993-1998, MadGoat Software. All Rights Reserved.
    > %NEWS-I-NOOPNPROF, could not open NEWS profile
    > -RMS-E-FNF, file not found

    I've used it for so long that I don't remember how it was set up. This
    seems to be a setup problem.

    NEWSRDR has extensive documentation, including documentation in
    BOOKREADER format. What more could one want?

    Normally one has a profile file in SYS$LOGIN, but I assume this is
    created if it is not there. Hhmmm....

  10. Re: VMS news reader

    In article <48ebdfa1$0$12363$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    writes:

    > It is very memory hungry, and you want to give yourself some inordinate
    > amount of PGFILQUOTA like 1 gig. Also, some newsgroups with very long
    > names may not work under VMS when the software tries to create its own
    > files. (comp.os.vms is nowhere near the limit, but some newsgroup names
    > are extremely long (like the one about the hamster and ducttape)

    As long as alt.sex.fetish.dec-hardware is not too long, you should be
    OK! :-)

  11. Re: VMS news reader

    > As long as alt.sex.fetish.dec-hardware is not too long, you should be

    As I recall, it had to do with the complete path of the file containing
    the newsgroup specific data that had some limits.

    This newsgoup would create a file such as:

    USRDIR:[JFMEZEI._MOZILLA.DEFAULT.K9EN0HAR_SLT.NEWS.NEWS2_T EKSAVVY_COM]COMP_OS_VMS.MSF

    From what I had tested, the newsgroup's maximum name could be between 40
    and 50 characters. I reported this in Feb 18 2007 on this very newsgroup.

  12. Re: VMS news reader

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >In article <48ebdfa1$0$12363$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    > writes:
    >
    >> It is very memory hungry, and you want to give yourself some inordinate
    >> amount of PGFILQUOTA like 1 gig. Also, some newsgroups with very long
    >> names may not work under VMS when the software tries to create its own
    >> files. (comp.os.vms is nowhere near the limit, but some newsgroup names
    >> are extremely long (like the one about the hamster and ducttape)

    >As long as alt.sex.fetish.dec-hardware is not too long, you should be
    >OK! :-)

    What about alt.binaries.erotica.fetish.dec-hardware.unibus.flip-chip?

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  13. Re: VMS news reader

    On 8 okt, 13:23, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >
    > >In article <48ebdfa1$0$12363$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    > > writes:

    > >> It is very memory hungry, and you want to give yourself some inordinate
    > >> amount of PGFILQUOTA like 1 gig. Also, some newsgroups with very long
    > >> names may not work under VMS when the software tries to create its own
    > >> files. (comp.os.vms is nowhere near the limit, but some newsgroup names
    > >> are extremely long (like the one about the hamster and ducttape)

    > >As long as alt.sex.fetish.dec-hardware is not too long, you should be
    > >OK! *:-)

    > What about alt.binaries.erotica.fetish.dec-hardware.unibus.flip-chip?
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    No no impossible, not enough diskspace to store pictures of those
    large boards

  14. Re: VMS news reader

    I've tried a number of news readers on OpenVMS.

    For groups where you want to retrieve all new articles on
    a regular basis and would like to automate the process,
    NEWSRDR is the best I've found. It can be set up
    to run in a BATCH job that can be self-resubmitting.

    For on-line reading, I liked MXRN the best when I had
    DECwindows / Xwindows available. It's the easiest
    reader to use that I've seen, and has quite a few good
    features. It doesn't always handle extracting binary
    encoded files very well, though.

    If you come from the Unix / Linux world, there is a port
    of slrn that runs on OpenVMS. I've used it, and it works
    reasonably well. I find the user interface to be rather
    peculiar and non-intuitive, but that might be because my
    background is more VMS than Unix. It does work, and
    can be made to do some good things. It's also supposed
    to be possible to mark articles you're interested in, and
    automate the downloading of them at a later time, but I
    never put in much effort to see if that works.

    I've used Netscape/Mozilla to read news, and it's
    comperable to MXRN, but I found MXRN to be much
    easier to use, and easier to set up and edit the
    KILL files than Mozilla.

    The final decision will probably be which user interface
    you like the most.

    Bart

  15. Re: VMS news reader

    On 8 okt, 20:31, "Bart Z. Lederman"
    wrote:
    > I've tried a number of news readers on OpenVMS.
    >
    > For groups where you want to retrieve all new articles on
    > a regular basis and would like to automate the process,
    > NEWSRDR is the best I've found. *It can be set up
    > to run in a BATCH job that can be self-resubmitting.
    >
    > For on-line reading, I liked MXRN the best when I had
    > DECwindows / Xwindows available. *It's the easiest
    > reader to use that I've seen, and has quite a few good
    > features. *It doesn't always handle extracting binary
    > encoded files very well, though.
    >
    > If you come from the Unix / Linux world, there is a port
    > of slrn that runs on OpenVMS. *I've used it, and it works
    > reasonably well. *I find the user interface to be rather
    > peculiar and non-intuitive, but that might be because my
    > background is more VMS than Unix. *It does work, and
    > can be made to do some good things. *It's also supposed
    > to be possible to mark articles you're interested in, and
    > automate the downloading of them at a later time, but I
    > never put in much effort to see if that works.
    >
    > I've used Netscape/Mozilla to read news, and it's
    > comperable to MXRN, but I found MXRN to be much
    > easier to use, and easier to set up and edit the
    > KILL files than Mozilla.
    >
    > The final decision will probably be which user interface
    > you like the most.
    >
    > Bart

    My choice is rather based on familiarity with the VMS platform. I
    found NEWSRDR on the freeware 6 cd so decided
    to install that. However I can't seem to get it started though.
    Where do I find MXRN?

  16. Re: VMS news reader

    H Vlems wrote:
    > On 8 okt, 13:23, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article , hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    >>> As long as alt.sex.fetish.dec-hardware is not too long, you should be
    >>> OK! :-)

    >> What about alt.binaries.erotica.fetish.dec-hardware.unibus.flip-chip?
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    > No no impossible, not enough diskspace to store pictures of those
    > large boards

    Flip-chips are single height, not quad or hex-height. 8-)

    Jeff

  17. Re: VMS news reader

    H Vlems wrote:

    > My choice is rather based on familiarity with the VMS platform. I
    > found NEWSRDR on the freeware 6 cd so decided
    > to install that. However I can't seem to get it started though.
    > Where do I find MXRN?

    Tried to install MXRN once but couldn't get it to work. It was having
    problems insisting on reading the huge list of newsgroups provided by my
    NNTP server (probably originally designed to read just a smaller list of
    newsgroups supported by a local server). I tried to modify the source
    code to avoid it going through that step (I already had the lists, so
    there was no point trying to read it again) but to no avail.

  18. Re: VMS news reader

    In article <1223508493_3620@isp.n>, Jeff Campbell writes:
    >H Vlems wrote:

    >>> What about alt.binaries.erotica.fetish.dec-hardware.unibus.flip-chip?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>>
    >>> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    >>> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >>>
    >>> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    >>> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    >>> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    >> No no impossible, not enough diskspace to store pictures of those
    >> large boards

    >Flip-chips are single height, not quad or hex-height. 8-)

    ...but they did go both ways! :roll:

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  19. Re: VMS news reader

    H Vlems wrote:
    > What newsreader would you recommend for Alpha/VMS V8.3?
    > Right now I use either Outlook Express or Google Groups. The first
    > refuses to update comp.sys.dec and the latter tends to add funny
    > strings, to the point that the message is unreadable.
    > Last week I received the KZPCM-DX controllers and added more storage
    > to my Digital Server 5305 (7 * 9 GB).
    > I read comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec, alt.sys.pdp10 and pdp11. A retain
    > period of 3 months is sufficient I guess.
    > So what amount of storage would you recommend and what tool?

    I'm using TIN for VAX. Don't know, where an AXP-Image is available.
    FYI, TIN is a full-screen easy to use Usenet newsreader.

    Regards,
    -Vaxima

    --
    Alexander Horn, Hostmaster (of staff) | OpenVMS (TM) rocks!
    10 Bruckner, Sindelfingen 71065 Germany | http://www.marway.org/

  20. Re: VMS news reader

    In article
    , H
    Vlems writes:

    > My choice is rather based on familiarity with the VMS platform. I
    > found NEWSRDR on the freeware 6 cd so decided
    > to install that. However I can't seem to get it started though.
    > Where do I find MXRN?

    Don't give up on NEWSRDR so quickly! Have a look at the BookReader
    documentation. Decide whether you want to set it up system-wide (which
    I would recommend in your case) or in a non-priviledged account. Make
    sure the startup is executed (in the future, at boot time). It worked
    for me out of the box; whatever problem you have can't be that big of a
    deal.

    I especially like the ability to define keys, as in VMS MAIL. One can
    then make the interface even more similar to VMS MAIL.

+ Reply to Thread