Re: OT: USA the fleecing of USA banks by Wall Street - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: OT: USA the fleecing of USA banks by Wall Street - VMS ; On Oct 6, 6:13*am, davi...@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote: > In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes: > > > > >AEF wrote: > >> On Oct 5, 4:44 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" > >> wrote: > >>> AEF wrote: > >>>> On ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: OT: USA the fleecing of USA banks by Wall Street

    On Oct 6, 6:13*am, davi...@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    > In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >

    > >AEF wrote:
    > >> When you buy food at the supermarket, do you weigh everything? No, you
    > >> don't. So if you buy a can of soup that says its net weight is 19 oz.,
    > >> but it's really only 15 oz., whose fault is it? If you buy 15 gallons
    > >> of gas, but you get only 10 because you didn't measure it before
    > >> putting it in your tank, whose fault is it?

    > >This is a problem that I don't recall EVER having encountered. *The
    > >government takes weights and measures seriously. *If you sell a gallon
    > >of gasoline, you had better deliver a minimum of one gallon. *ISTR
    > >seeing seals on gasoline pumps that say that the metering has been
    > >tested and that when the machine says it has delivered one gallon, it
    > >has in fact delivered one gallon. *If you look closely at the scales in
    > >a supermarket, you will see a sticker that says that the government has
    > >tested the scale and that it registers correctly. *I'm sure that there
    > >are a few dealers who cheat and that it's very few; the penalties and
    > >the reputation as a cheat are something most people want no part of.

    > >The companies that can vegetables or package frozen vegetables are
    > >careful about labeling things as what they are. *They also care about
    > >customer satisfaction. *I once wrote a complaint letter to Birdseye
    > >because a package labeled "Peas and Onions" contained only ONE onion
    > >where the use of the plural required a minimum of two! *I got an apology
    > >and a coupon good for another package of peas and onions.

    > This is only because the inspectors ie regulators do their job when checking
    > weights and measures and come down hard on anyone breaking those regulations.
    > Unfortunately the same cannot be said for financial regulation.
    >
    > David Webb
    > Security team leader
    > CCSS
    > Middlesex University

    Yes, unfortunate indeed.

    But the gov't gets *some* things right.

    AEF

    AEF

  2. Re: OT: USA the fleecing of USA banks by Wall Street

    In article <17dfbdd2-235e-46a2-a9a5-7307c363d4a8@u28g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, AEF writes:
    >On Oct 6, 6:13=A0am, davi...@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    >> In article , "Richard B. Gi=

    >lbert" writes:

    >rote:

    >> >This is a problem that I don't recall EVER having encountered. =A0The
    >> >government takes weights and measures seriously. =A0If you sell a gallon
    >> >of gasoline, you had better deliver a minimum of one gallon. =A0ISTR
    >> >seeing seals on gasoline pumps that say that the metering has been
    >> >tested and that when the machine says it has delivered one gallon, it
    >> >has in fact delivered one gallon. =A0If you look closely at the scales i=

    >> >a supermarket, you will see a sticker that says that the government has
    >> >tested the scale and that it registers correctly. =A0I'm sure that there
    >> >are a few dealers who cheat and that it's very few; the penalties and
    >> >the reputation as a cheat are something most people want no part of.

    >> >The companies that can vegetables or package frozen vegetables are
    >> >careful about labeling things as what they are. =A0They also care about
    >> >customer satisfaction. =A0I once wrote a complaint letter to Birdseye
    >> >because a package labeled "Peas and Onions" contained only ONE onion
    >> >where the use of the plural required a minimum of two! =A0I got an apolo=

    >gy
    >> >and a coupon good for another package of peas and onions.

    >> This is only because the inspectors ie regulators do their job when check=

    >ing
    >> weights and measures and come down hard on anyone breaking those regulati=

    >ons.
    >> Unfortunately the same cannot be said for financial regulation.
    >>
    >> David Webb
    >> Security team leader
    >> CCSS
    >> Middlesex University

    >Yes, unfortunate indeed.
    >
    >But the gov't gets *some* things right.

    Eventually. Food adulteration was a major problem and profitable business up
    until the latter part of the 19th Century and the first person to try to do
    something about it Frederick Accum made powerful enemies who managed to destroy
    his reputation and delay action for 30 years.
    See
    http://www.rsc.org/Education/EiC/iss...ulteration.asp

    David Webb
    Security team leader