WRITEV does not work - VMS

This is a discussion on WRITEV does not work - VMS ; We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium. I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV. On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column is written. If we use WRITELN the ...

  1. WRITEV does not work

    We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.

    I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.

    On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    is written.

    If we use WRITELN the information is written,

    No change has been done to the code, only has been recompiled on the
    new plattform

    Regards

  2. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article <9d85db68-839f-410e-b3df-902c1dc1dc1b@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Ramon Jimenez writes:
    >We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >
    >I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >
    >On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    >is written.
    >
    >If we use WRITELN the information is written,
    >
    >No change has been done to the code, only has been recompiled on the
    >new plattform

    Are you referring to Pascal code? If so, which version of the compiler?
    Could you post a snippet of your code?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie

  3. Re: WRITEV does not work

    Christoph

    HP Pascal V6.0-107

    OPENVMS V8.3

    Compiler Options are PASCAL /ALIGN=VAX /ENUM=BYTE /DEBUG/NOOPTIMIZE/
    NOLIST/

    I'm tracing back the code, so the same routines are used in several
    points across the application.

    Regards

    > >No change has been done to the code, only has been recompiled on the
    > >new plattform

    > Are you referring to Pascal code? If so, which version of the compiler?
    > Could you post a snippet of your code?
    >
    > Regards,
    > * *Christoph Gartmann
    >
    > --
    > *Max-Planck-Institut fuer * * *Phone * : +49-761-5108-464 * Fax: -80464
    > *Immunbiologie
    > *Postfach 1169 * * * * * * * * Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
    > *D-79011 *Freiburg, Germany
    > * * * * * * * *http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html

  4. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article <9d85db68-839f-410e-b3df-902c1dc1dc1b@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Ramon Jimenez writes:
    > We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >
    > I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >
    > On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    > is written.
    >
    > If we use WRITELN the information is written,

    What the hell are WRITEV and WRITELN?

  5. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <9d85db68-839f-410e-b3df-902c1dc1dc1b@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Ramon Jimenez writes:
    >> We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >>
    >> I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >>
    >> On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    >> is written.
    >>
    >> If we use WRITELN the information is written,

    > What the hell are WRITEV and WRITELN?

    WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <9d85db68-839f-410e-b3df-902c1dc1dc1b@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Ramon Jimenez writes:
    >> We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >>
    >> I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >>
    >> On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    >> is written.
    >>
    >> If we use WRITELN the information is written,

    > What the hell are WRITEV and WRITELN?

    Didn't take much research to verify my previous comment.

    HP Pascal for OpenVMS
    Language Reference Manual

    8.109 WRITEV Procedure

    The WRITEV procedure writes characters to a character-string variable
    of type VARYING OF CHAR or discriminated STRING, by converting the
    values of the parameters in the procedure call to textual representations.
    The behavior of WRITEV is similar to that of the WRITELN function; the
    character-string parameter is similar to a one-line file.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article <6kektkF7h5bdU2@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >In article ,
    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >> In article <9d85db68-839f-410e-b3df-902c1dc1dc1b@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Ramon Jimenez writes:
    >>> We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >>>
    >>> I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >>>
    >>> On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    >>> is written.
    >>>
    >>> If we use WRITELN the information is written,

    >> What the hell are WRITEV and WRITELN?

    >WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    >extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    >long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.

    It is an extension and I have the impression that the OP doesn't use it
    correctly. WRITELN writes a line of text to standard output whereas WRITEV
    writes text into a variable.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  8. Re: WRITEV does not work

    "Ramon Jimenez" schreef in bericht
    > We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >
    > I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >
    > On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    > is written.
    >
    > If we use WRITELN the information is written,
    >
    > No change has been done to the code, only has been recompiled on the
    > new plattform
    >
    > Regards

    Is it possible for you to demonstrate the problem with just a small piece of
    code?
    or
    Can you post that part of the code which is of interest (including the
    declaration of all variables used)?

    Side question 1: how many characters are written by the WRITEV command?
    Side question 2: What happens if you append (hard coded) at the end
    of the WRITEV statement?

    Hans

  9. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article <6kektkF7h5bdU2@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    > extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    > long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.

    Yea, I thought I recognised WRITELN, but I thought it would be
    better if the OP told us.

  10. Re: WRITEV does not work

    "Ramon Jimenez" wrote in message
    > We are orting an app from VAX to Itanium.
    >
    > I've one screen that shows info by using WRITEV.
    >
    > On the old plattform it works but in the new one only the first column
    > is written.
    >
    > If we use WRITELN the information is written,
    >
    > No change has been done to the code, only has been recompiled on the
    > new plattform
    >
    > Regards

    As others have suggested, please post some reproducer. At lease a snipet so
    I can see the datatypes?

    WRITEV is pretty much alternate entry points for the WRITE routine. They
    just write their results to the user's buffer instead of an open RMS file.
    There has not been a WRITE/WRITEV related bug reported on I64 and for years
    prior to that.

    Did you ever try to port this code to Alpha?

    While I think it isn't important here, I'd upgrade to V6.1.

    John

  11. Re: WRITEV does not work

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message

    > WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    > extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    > long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.

    Not obscure to an OpenVMS Pascal programmer. Just the equivalent of ENCODE
    for you old obscure Fortran programmers. WRITEV was included in the
    Extended Pascal standard in 1989 with a slightly different name of WRITESTR.

    And since our compiler along with 90% of its features/extensions is from the
    1980s, by definition, everything is old (including me).

    John

  12. Re: WRITEV does not work

    In article ,
    "John Reagan" writes:

    > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    >>
    >> WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    >> extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    >> long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.
    >>

    > Not obscure to an OpenVMS Pascal programmer. Just the equivalent of ENCODE
    > for you old obscure Fortran programmers. WRITEV was included in the
    > Extended Pascal standard in 1989 with a slightly different name of WRITESTR.
    >
    > And since our compiler along with 90% of its features/extensions is from the
    > 1980s, by definition, everything is old (including me).

    I didn't mean "obscure" in a bad way. Just that it was not a part of
    any Pascal Standard (defined or de facto). And the fact that a long
    time VMSer like Bob didn't seem to know it made it seem even more obscure.
    I started doing Pascal around 1980 and used it extensively for a number
    of years and still do some once in a while. I used VMS Pascal quite a
    bit in the past. When I started where it was the language du jour for
    the first couple of undergrad courses teaching programming basics. I
    had never seen or heard of WRITEV until this thread.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  13. Re: WRITEV does not work

    John Reagan wrote:
    > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    >> WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    >> extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    >> long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.
    >>

    > Not obscure to an OpenVMS Pascal programmer. Just the equivalent of ENCODE
    > for you old obscure Fortran programmers.

    Newer Fortrans (77 !) allow for standard WRITE and READ for this
    functionality.

    But almost all languages has this functionality.

    C sprintf is one of the more well known.

    > And since our compiler along with 90% of its features/extensions is from the
    > 1980s, by definition, everything is old (including me).

    You can't remove a feature.

    And I guess the demand for new features has been "non overwhelming"
    the last decade or so.

    Too bad. But that is reality.

    Arne

  14. Re: WRITEV does not work

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "John Reagan" writes:
    >> "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    >>> WRITELN is Pascal. I suspect WRITEV is either some obscure old VMS
    >>> extension to Pascal or a locally written procedure which would go a
    >>> long way in explaining why it is apparently not upward compatable.
    >>>

    >> Not obscure to an OpenVMS Pascal programmer. Just the equivalent of ENCODE
    >> for you old obscure Fortran programmers. WRITEV was included in the
    >> Extended Pascal standard in 1989 with a slightly different name of WRITESTR.
    >>
    >> And since our compiler along with 90% of its features/extensions is from the
    >> 1980s, by definition, everything is old (including me).

    > I didn't mean "obscure" in a bad way. Just that it was not a part of
    > any Pascal Standard (defined or de facto). And the fact that a long
    > time VMSer like Bob didn't seem to know it made it seem even more obscure.
    > I started doing Pascal around 1980 and used it extensively for a number
    > of years and still do some once in a while. I used VMS Pascal quite a
    > bit in the past. When I started where it was the language du jour for
    > the first couple of undergrad courses teaching programming basics. I
    > had never seen or heard of WRITEV until this thread.

    People are different.

    I used it all the time.

    $ sh def
    DISK2:[ARNE]
    $ sear [...]*.pas writev /noout /stat

    Files searched: 110 Buffered I/O count: 1354
    Records searched: 14103 Direct I/O count: 395
    Characters searched: 376761 Page faults: 36
    Records matched: 24 Elapsed CPU time: 0 00:00:00.81
    Lines printed: 0 Elapsed time: 0 00:00:03.04

    Arne

  15. Re: WRITEV does not work

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:44:50 -0700, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > C sprintf is one of the more well known.

    You mean better than PUT STRING?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  16. Re: WRITEV does not work

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:44:50 -0700, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> C sprintf is one of the more well known.

    > You mean better than PUT STRING?

    I am pretty sure that C syntax are known by more people than
    PL/I syntax.

    :-) or :-( depending on preferences ...

+ Reply to Thread