USB device development on DS10 via Belkin f5U220 - OpenVMS 8.3 with7.3-1 SRM Firmware - VMS

This is a discussion on USB device development on DS10 via Belkin f5U220 - OpenVMS 8.3 with7.3-1 SRM Firmware - VMS ; Hi List, I would like to use USB devices on my hobbyist DS10 to communicate with a serial (using FTDI chipset) USB device that I have developed. I know that the built-in USB on the DS10 is not supported - ...

  1. USB device development on DS10 via Belkin f5U220 - OpenVMS 8.3 with7.3-1 SRM Firmware

    Hi List,

    I would like to use USB devices on my hobbyist DS10 to communicate
    with a serial (using FTDI chipset) USB device that I have developed.

    I know that the built-in USB on the DS10 is not supported - what a
    shame....

    I have seen comments that USB can work with the NEC chipset on the
    Belkin F5u220 card - a five port USB card.

    So I bought on - from clue config in anal / system I can see the
    Belkin card.

    OHA: 17 NEC OHCI USB Controller
    OHB: 17 NEC OHCI USB Controller
    17 00021799.00E01033 (3.?) Not sure what the third
    device is though?

    From show dev I can see

    OHA0: Offline 0
    OHB0: Offline 0
    USB0: Online 0

    Since the card has five ports and I can see at most three ports I have
    tried to figure out what ports I can use. I plugged a HP PC USB
    keyboard into each of the four external ports and rebooted my DS10,
    however none of them appears to work.

    I looked in UCM and with the keyboard plugged into the port furtherist
    from the PCI interface and I can see

    28-SEP-2008 14:07:12.53 DRIVER NORMAL HUBDRIVER
    Message: Configured device UCM0 using driver SYS$HUBDRIVER:

    28-SEP-2008 14:13:27.06 DRIVER NORMAL HUBDRIVER
    Message: Configured device HID0 using driver SYS$KBDDRIVER:

    However I cannot type into a DECWindows window using this keyboard?

    What do I need to do to get the keyboard to work?

    More importantly using the QIO interface what do I need to do to talk
    to the FTDI usb device. I understand the USB protocol for the device
    and have implement user space drivers on Linux, Mac OSX and painfully
    on Windows.

    I will use C or C++. I am familar with QIO and VMS programming.

    I have a Ellipse USB analyser for when the fun start.....

    Thanks

    David

  2. Re: USB device development on DS10 via Belkin f5U220 - OpenVMS 8.3 with 7.3-1 SRM Firmware

    wrote in message
    > Hi List,
    >
    > I would like to use USB devices on my hobbyist DS10 to communicate
    > with a serial (using FTDI chipset) USB device that I have developed.
    >
    > I know that the built-in USB on the DS10 is not supported - what a
    > shame....

    It was never supported we demoed some early USB work back in
    1998 on a DS10. But for many reasons the hardware team decided to
    pull support for the controller.

    > I have seen comments that USB can work with the NEC chipset on the
    > Belkin F5u220 card - a five port USB card.
    >
    > So I bought on - from clue config in anal / system I can see the
    > Belkin card.
    >
    > OHA: 17 NEC OHCI USB Controller
    > OHB: 17 NEC OHCI USB Controller
    > 17 00021799.00E01033 (3.?) Not sure what the third
    > device is though?

    That is for the EHCI controller we do not have any plans to support
    the EHCI (HIGH Speed controller) on any Alpha platform.

    > From show dev I can see
    >
    > OHA0: Offline 0
    > OHB0: Offline 0
    > USB0: Online 0

    Here is how things are supposed to work. The I/O discovery code
    loads the host controller driver(s). In this case OHCIDRIVER and you
    get one instance per controller.

    Then if the system start up code finds a host controler it supports it
    loads
    the USB driver (common support routines not documents) and the hub driver
    sys$hubdriver device code UCM0. There are only ever one instance of the
    HUB and USB drivers.

    The hub driver waits for the USB driver to init it's data structures and
    then
    links all the drivers together and get the USB BUS on each controller going.
    Not that if OHA or OHB do not come online there is a problem and the
    device startup sequence did not complete correctly. This whole sequence
    takes a couple of seconds.

    > Since the card has five ports and I can see at most three ports I have
    > tried to figure out what ports I can use. I plugged a HP PC USB
    > keyboard into each of the four external ports and rebooted my DS10,
    > however none of them appears to work.

    All 5 ports are active. There shoule be wired to one controller and two
    to the other. If the EHCI controller is started they are all routined to
    it. It
    then decide if it wants to control the device (ONLY HIGH speed) if not it
    routes it to one of the OHCI controllers. But in this case no EHCI so three
    go to one and two to the other OHCI controller.

    > I looked in UCM and with the keyboard plugged into the port furtherist
    > from the PCI interface and I can see
    >
    > 28-SEP-2008 14:07:12.53 DRIVER NORMAL HUBDRIVER
    > Message: Configured device UCM0 using driver SYS$HUBDRIVER:
    >
    > 28-SEP-2008 14:13:27.06 DRIVER NORMAL HUBDRIVER
    > Message: Configured device HID0 using driver SYS$KBDDRIVER:
    >
    > However I cannot type into a DECWindows window using this keyboard?

    There is no supported way for you to get at the USB keyboard or mouse.
    Sorry that is a hard and fast restriction because there is a PS2 mouse and
    keyboard that is all DECWindows will use...

    > What do I need to do to get the keyboard to work?
    >
    > More importantly using the QIO interface what do I need to do to talk
    > to the FTDI usb device. I understand the USB protocol for the device
    > and have implement user space drivers on Linux, Mac OSX and painfully
    > on Windows.

    What FTDI device, we have support for many of the 232 family
    controllers.
    Which leads to the question what version of VMS.

    > I will use C or C++. I am familar with QIO and VMS programming.
    >
    > I have a Ellipse USB analyser for when the fun start.....
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    Forrest

+ Reply to Thread