Rochelle,

How many megabytes of meil does ehe have?
Are you using legacy VMS Mail folders or PMDF's proprietary
IMAP mailbox service?

Thunderbird has a variety of serious problems when it experiences timeouts.

The slow response when using legacy VMS Mail often causes timeouts
for large mailboxes. "Large" is more than about 1000 messages,
and aproaching 1GB. VMS can't cache directories in memory when they
contain more than about 1000 files in them. This causes serious performance
degredation, resulting in timeouts.

So far we've had about a dozen people seriously inconvenienced by this issue.
The only solution I've come up with is to create a new, empty
directory for their new mail and create a new account which accesses
the old directory, which is used strictly as a read-only archive.

For a few people I actually had to recreate their mail folders from
scratch on the VMS server using PMDF's EMAIL (ua) to copy messages from
the old directory into a new one, reorganizing their mail into folders
containing fewer messages.

We are in the process of migrating to a mail server with strict mail
quotas of less than 300MB. It resolves this particular issue,
by forcing people to spend more time managing their mail,
but introduces others. In particular, how to manage archived messages
which can't be fit into the new system?

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics FAX: +1-607-255-8062
LT105 R. R. Wilson Laboratory http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/
Dryden Road Email: seb1@cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001

You wrote