GNU Diffutils (2.8.7) for VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on GNU Diffutils (2.8.7) for VMS - VMS ; Anyone with a burning desire to use GNU Diffutils (cmp, diff, diff3, sdiff) on a VMS system, might wish to consider this attempt: http://antinode.info/dec/sw/diffutils.html I'm not claiming any particular level of quality, but it seems to do some basic stuff ...

  1. GNU Diffutils (2.8.7) for VMS

    Anyone with a burning desire to use GNU Diffutils (cmp, diff, diff3,
    sdiff) on a VMS system, might wish to consider this attempt:

    http://antinode.info/dec/sw/diffutils.html

    I'm not claiming any particular level of quality, but it seems to do
    some basic stuff well enough for me.

    I had done a port (not publicized) of version 2.8.1, which seems to
    be the last official release, but I recently tried to use it to compare
    a file tree ("diff -r") on an ODS5 disk with one on an ODS2 disk, only
    to find that the "--ignore-file-name-case" option didn't work. After I
    found the lame code, I did a bit of looking around, and discovered that
    other people had found the same problem (on UNIX-like systems), and that
    it was supposed to be fixed in this version 2.8.7 "test release". So,
    rather than fix the one bug, I just ported the 2.8.7 code. The only
    significant new change was to set the default setting of the
    "--[no-]ignore-file-name-case" option according to the current SET
    PROCESS /CASE_LOOKUP setting.

    As usual, complaints are welcome, but low expectations would be
    appropriate.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: GNU Diffutils (2.8.7) for VMS

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > Anyone with a burning desire to use GNU Diffutils (cmp, diff, diff3,
    > sdiff) on a VMS system, might wish to consider this attempt:
    >
    > http://antinode.info/dec/sw/diffutils.html
    >
    > I'm not claiming any particular level of quality, but it seems to do
    > some basic stuff well enough for me.

    Me too. Thanks for taking the time to put the kit together. I use GNU
    diff frequently and think I will finally replace the 2.7.2 version I've
    been depending on for some years. I did notice this kit does not honor
    DECC$ARGV_PARSE_STYLE and DECC$EFS_CASE_PRESERVE, though setting
    extended parse gets the same behavior.

+ Reply to Thread