POP3 & large Attachments - VMS

This is a discussion on POP3 & large Attachments - VMS ; Hello, with Multinet V5.2 plus all patches under OpenVMS 7.3-2 we realized the following: MultiNet POP3_server Flags = 0, Version = V5.2 s: +OK 2 messages in folder NEWMAIL (V5.2) c: STAT s: +OK 2 177 c: UIDL s: +OK ...

  1. POP3 & large Attachments

    Hello,

    with Multinet V5.2 plus all patches under OpenVMS 7.3-2 we realized the
    following:

    MultiNet POP3_server Flags = 0, Version = V5.2
    s: +OK 2 messages in folder NEWMAIL (V5.2)
    c: STAT
    s: +OK 2 177
    c: UIDL
    s: +OK
    s: .
    c: LIST
    s: +OK 2 messages (177 octets)
    s: 1 0
    s: 2 177
    s: .
    c: QUIT
    s: +OK POP3 MultiNet immunbio.mpg.de Server exiting (1 NEWMAIL message left)

    The problem is that the first message is around 11 MB in size and far from
    being empty! Why does Multinet say it consists of 0 octects? The POP3 user
    has sufficient disk quotas. The problem is reproducible under various
    accounts with various messages. It appears only with e-mails that exceed
    a certain size (yet to be determined). Thus, what is wrong here?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie

  2. Re: POP3 & large Attachments

    On Sep 24, 4:12*pm, gartm...@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph
    Gartmann) wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > with Multinet V5.2 plus all patches under OpenVMS 7.3-2 we realized the
    > following:
    >
    > MultiNet POP3_server Flags = 0, Version = V5.2
    > s: +OK 2 messages in folder NEWMAIL (V5.2)
    > c: STAT
    > s: +OK 2 177
    > c: UIDL
    > s: +OK
    > s: .
    > c: LIST
    > s: +OK 2 messages (177 octets)
    > s: 1 0
    > s: 2 177
    > s: .
    > c: QUIT
    > s: +OK POP3 MultiNet immunbio.mpg.de Server exiting (1 NEWMAIL message left)
    >
    > The problem is that the first message is around 11 MB in size and far from
    > being empty! Why does Multinet say it consists of 0 octects? The POP3 user
    > has sufficient disk quotas. The problem is reproducible under various
    > accounts with various messages. It appears only with e-mails that exceed
    > a certain size (yet to be determined). Thus, what is wrong here?

    Back in the day, perhaps with MultiNet V3.x or so, the POP server
    would have issues with messages that were too large for the user's
    server process to map into memory. Increasing the user's pgflquo (or
    reading the large message from VMS to move it out of the NEWMAIL
    folder) was the solution. I know nothing about the recent vintage POP
    server but it would be simple enough to test if this is the issue
    still. Hth.

  3. Re: POP3 & large Attachments

    This could very well be an issue of PGFLQUOTA for the POP server. The
    underlying structure here is VMS Mail, and it attempts to read the entire
    message into memory at some point.

    At 02:12 PM 9/24/2008, Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >with Multinet V5.2 plus all patches under OpenVMS 7.3-2 we realized the
    >following:
    >
    >MultiNet POP3_server Flags = 0, Version = V5.2
    >s: +OK 2 messages in folder NEWMAIL (V5.2)
    >c: STAT
    >s: +OK 2 177
    >c: UIDL
    >s: +OK
    >s: .
    >c: LIST
    >s: +OK 2 messages (177 octets)
    >s: 1 0
    >s: 2 177
    >s: .
    >c: QUIT
    >s: +OK POP3 MultiNet immunbio.mpg.de Server exiting (1 NEWMAIL message
    >left)
    >
    >The problem is that the first message is around 11 MB in size and far from
    >being empty! Why does Multinet say it consists of 0 octects? The POP3 user
    >has sufficient disk quotas. The problem is reproducible under various
    >accounts with various messages. It appears only with e-mails that exceed
    >a certain size (yet to be determined). Thus, what is wrong here?
    >
    >Regards,
    > Christoph Gartmann
    >
    >--
    > Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    > Immunbiologie
    > Postfach 1169 Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
    > D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
    > http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html

    ------
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |

  4. Re: POP3 & large Attachments

    On Sep 25, 8:27*am, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    > This could very well be an issue of PGFLQUOTA for the POP server. *The
    > underlying structure here is VMS Mail, and it attempts to read the entire
    > message into memory at some point.

    My recollection (which could be incorrect) was that the entire NEWMAIL
    folder, and not just the a single message, was mapped into memory (and
    so the pgflquo had to support all of it).

  5. Re: POP3 & large Attachments

    Jim wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 8:27 am, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> This could very well be an issue of PGFLQUOTA for the POP server. The
    >> underlying structure here is VMS Mail, and it attempts to read the entire
    >> message into memory at some point.
    >>

    > My recollection (which could be incorrect) was that the entire NEWMAIL
    > folder, and not just the a single message, was mapped into memory (and
    > so the pgflquo had to support all of it).

    Don't think so, and that doesn't gibe with the fact that he got the
    second message, just not the first.

    --
    - Ken
    Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems

+ Reply to Thread