RE: Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem - VMS ; Richard Whalen wrote: "How is the default route being specified? As part of MultiNet Configure/Net? Or does it come from a routing protocol that might be handled by GateD?" In network setup A, I configured Multinet as follows: $ Multi ...

  1. RE: Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem

    Richard Whalen wrote:

    "How is the default route being specified? As part of MultiNet
    Configure/Net? Or does it come from a routing protocol that might
    be handled by GateD?"

    In network setup A, I configured Multinet as follows:

    $ Multi conf/net
    MultiNet Network Configuration Utility V4.4(104)
    [Reading in MAXIMUM configuration from MULTINET:MULTINET.EXE]
    [Reading in configuration from MULTINET:NETWORK_DEVICES.CONFIGURATION]
    NET-CONFIG>set DEFAULT-ROUTE 24.72.46.1 <-- ISP provided
    NET-CONFIG>modi se0
    IP Address: 24.72.46.45 <-- ISP provided
    IP SubNet Mask: [255.255.255.0]

    I tried putting a D-Link Ethernet switch between the Alpha and the
    DSL modem. As expected, the LED on the switch glows amber indicating
    that the network card on the Alpha is only 10 Mbits! But, the setup
    still did not work. Could 10 Mb network card be the problem? Perhaps
    the SMC networks' DSL modem (supplied by the ISP) can only do 100
    Mbits? This setup works if I put a modern Laptop with 100 Mb card
    in place of the Alpha!

    I mentioned traceroute to the default route as an example only.
    Actually, there is no network connectivity (no ping, no traceroute,
    etc.) to any Internet host!

    Perhaps, in setup B, the DI524 router can handle both 10 and 100
    Mbits?

    Thank you for your time and patience,

    -- mahendra