Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem - VMS

This is a discussion on Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem - VMS ; Hello: I have an Alpha 3400 system running OVMS 6.2 and Multinet v4.4 A-X. I am trying to connect this server to the Internet through a DSL modem provided by my ISP. This setup (A) does not work: +-----------------+ +-----------+ ...

  1. Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem

    +-----------------+ +-----------+
    | Alpha using ISP | ---> | DSL modem | ---> Internet
    | supplied IP# | +-----------+
    +-----------------+

    'Multinet trace' command won't even see the default route
    supplied by the ISP. Why doesn't this work?

    But, this setup (B) does work:

    +--------------------+
    | Alpha using IP# | +--------------+ +-----------+
    | provided by the | ---> | DI524 router | ---> | DSL modem |
    | router 192.168.x.x | +--------------+ +-----------+
    +--------------------+ |

    Internet

    A few PCs and Laptops (both wireless and wired) use the
    DI524 router to connect to the Internet. They all use the
    same IP# on the WAN side that the router obtained from my
    ISP.

    And so, I would like to have a dedicated IP# and DNS name
    for the Alpha and that was why I would prefer to have setup
    A functional.

    Am I doing something wrong? Is this possible to achieve?
    Is there a better way of achieving this?

    Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

    -- mahendra

  2. Re: Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem

    A. Mahendra Rajah presented these words - circa 9/22/08 8:33 PM->
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have an Alpha 3400 system running OVMS 6.2 and Multinet
    > v4.4 A-X.
    >
    > I am trying to connect this server to the Internet through a
    > DSL modem provided by my ISP.
    >
    > This setup (A) does not work:
    >

    > +-----------------+ +-----------+
    > | Alpha using ISP | ---> | DSL modem | ---> Internet
    > | supplied IP# | +-----------+
    > +-----------------+
    >
    > 'Multinet trace' command won't even see the default route
    > supplied by the ISP. Why doesn't this work?
    >

    > But, this setup (B) does work:
    >
    > +--------------------+
    > | Alpha using IP# | +--------------+ +-----------+
    > | provided by the | ---> | DI524 router | ---> | DSL modem |
    > | router 192.168.x.x | +--------------+ +-----------+
    > +--------------------+ |

    > Internet
    >

    > A few PCs and Laptops (both wireless and wired) use the
    > DI524 router to connect to the Internet. They all use the
    > same IP# on the WAN side that the router obtained from my
    > ISP.
    >
    > And so, I would like to have a dedicated IP# and DNS name
    > for the Alpha and that was why I would prefer to have setup
    > A functional.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong? Is this possible to achieve?
    > Is there a better way of achieving this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

    It depends on a number of factors:

    1) What is the configuration of the DI524?
    2) What is it's WAN ip address(the side connected to the DSL modem)?
    3) Is it using some type of authentication?

    4) On the second configuration about what does the output of traceroute
    show?

    Depending on what you want to use the Alpha for, the DI524 can probably
    be configured to let through certain services (see the Virtual Servers
    configuration on the D-Link device).

    Patrick

    > -- mahendra

  3. RE: Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem

    How is the default route being specified? As part of MultiNet
    Configure/Net? Or does it come from a routing protocol that might be
    handled by GateD?

    +-----------------+

    +--------------------+ |

    Internet

    A few PCs and Laptops (both wireless and wired) use the
    DI524 router to connect to the Internet. They all use the
    same IP# on the WAN side that the router obtained from my
    ISP.

    And so, I would like to have a dedicated IP# and DNS name
    for the Alpha and that was why I would prefer to have setup
    A functional.

    Am I doing something wrong? Is this possible to achieve?
    Is there a better way of achieving this?

    Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

    -- mahendra

  4. Re: Alpha with Multinet 4.4 and ISP provided modem

    In article <01MZVL04DI4K00004E@static24-72-72-85.regina.accesscomm.ca>, "A. Mahendra Rajah" writes:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have an Alpha 3400 system running OVMS 6.2 and Multinet
    > v4.4 A-X.
    >
    > I am trying to connect this server to the Internet through a
    > DSL modem provided by my ISP.
    >
    > This setup (A) does not work:
    >

    > +-----------------+ +-----------+
    > | Alpha using ISP | ---> | DSL modem | ---> Internet
    > | supplied IP# | +-----------+
    > +-----------------+
    >
    > 'Multinet trace' command won't even see the default route
    > supplied by the ISP. Why doesn't this work?
    >

    > But, this setup (B) does work:
    >
    > +--------------------+
    > | Alpha using IP# | +--------------+ +-----------+
    > | provided by the | ---> | DI524 router | ---> | DSL modem |
    > | router 192.168.x.x | +--------------+ +-----------+

    > Internet
    >

    > A few PCs and Laptops (both wireless and wired) use the
    > DI524 router to connect to the Internet. They all use the
    > same IP# on the WAN side that the router obtained from my
    > ISP.

    If the ISP is dynamically assigning IP addresses, they may match
    sometimes and not others. Generally ISPs assume you are using DHCP
    unless you pay extra. Multinet can be configured t ouse DHCP.

+ Reply to Thread