On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file - VMS

This is a discussion on On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file - VMS ; "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen. How can I redirect it to a specific file instead. Thank you, Chris...

  1. On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen.
    How can I redirect it to a specific file instead.

    Thank you,
    Chris

  2. Re: On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    On Sep 22, 3:30 pm, Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    > "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen.
    > How can I redirect it to a specific file instead.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Chris

    Chris,

    First, there should be a HELP command listing the paramters for that
    version of BACKUP. Type HELP BACKUP and it should display the list of
    command qualifiers.

    That said, the command to write the listing file to X.LIS would
    generally be: BACKUP/LIST=X.LIS savesetname/SAVE_SET

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    On Sep 22, 4:30*pm, Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    > "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen.
    > How can I redirect it to a specific file instead.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Chris

    If

    $ backup/list=filename.lis file.bck/saveset

    doesn't work, then try

    $ define/u sys$output filename.lis
    $ backup/lis file.bck/saveset

    Ken

  4. Re: On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    > "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen.
    > How can I redirect it to a specific file instead.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Chris

    I think you would find a study of the manuals most helpful.

    HELP is likewise there to help you. Try:

    $ HELP BACKUP /LIST

  5. Re: On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    Always was my pet gripe,

    "How do I?"

    RTM.
    RTMA

    I always found that once people got used to finding information for
    themselves they stopped asking silly questions and asked the more
    interesting ones such as "can you explain why..." or "according to the
    manual..."

    I suppose it is typical of the times. We served our apprenticeships in order
    to sit aloof in ivory towers, the gods that others looked un to, we had
    system privileges and not even our directors knew what we did. We were the
    ones who would read those rows of orange manuals. Knew where to look for the
    answer. Now if you don't know, ask.

    Standards are slipping ;-)

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    news:mv6dnSCq05e7t0XVnZ2dnUVZ_o7inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    >> "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen.
    >> How can I redirect it to a specific file instead.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Chris

    > I think you would find a study of the manuals most helpful.
    >
    > HELP is likewise there to help you. Try:
    >
    > $ HELP BACKUP /LIST

  6. Re: On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    In article , "Tim Wilkinson" writes:
    >Always was my pet gripe,
    >
    >"How do I?"
    >
    >RTM.
    >RTMA
    >
    >I always found that once people got used to finding information for
    >themselves they stopped asking silly questions and asked the more
    >interesting ones such as "can you explain why..." or "according to the
    >manual..."
    >

    >I suppose it is typical of the times. We served our apprenticeships in order
    >to sit aloof in ivory towers, the gods that others looked un to, we had
    >system privileges and not even our directors knew what we did. We were the
    >ones who would read those rows of orange manuals. Knew where to look for the
    >answer. Now if you don't know, ask.

    Blue, orange, gray, white, BookReader, PDF, I read them all. I used to
    just point at the wall of blue, orange, gray, or white depending on the
    era, behind me whenever I was asked a stupid question that I knew could
    be answered with a little doc set research. On occasion, I'd be kinder
    and tell which volume to find said answer.

    >Standards are slipping ;-)

    Welcome to the Micro$oft era. When software -- or, whatever it is that
    Micro$oft markets -- started shipping without documentation, usenet be-
    came the world's stupid question and answer oracle.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  7. Re: On V5.5, using the backup command how do I create a listing file

    In article <0e289782-c774-4ae1-a1de-1a5384dfbd52@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Christopher Lusardi writes:
    > "backup /list file.bck/saveset" displays the inforation to the screen.
    > How can I redirect it to a specific file instead.

    Help backup/list .

+ Reply to Thread